Closed Thread

Thread: Cozumel-Dec 2011 with Deep Exposure Dive Center

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Cozumel-Dec 2011 with Deep Exposure Dive Center

I recently returned from a rebreather dive trip to Cozumel. I had seen on RBW that Deep Exposure Dive Center in downtown Cozumel had support facilities for rebreathers. I called ahead and spoke to Blanca Ordieres about reserving a keg of absorbent, O2 & dil tanks and filling services for both.

At the time the trip plans were made (not by me), I did not know that Deep Exposure had a dive boat, so the diving was arranged as an all-inclusive hotel/diving price from Blue Angel Resort, the hotel. Because I wasn’t diving with Deep Exposure, there was some question as to renting tanks instead of bringing them with me. Blanca asked me to call the owner, Don and discuss the matter with him. I called Don and told him of my plans. I asked if I could arrange for 1 day of diving with his operation to check it out, which I did. The rest of the trip I was diving with the hotel operation. Don rented me 2 steel 19’s and 1 40 cu ft sling tank. I picked up a keg of sorb as well.

The hotel was fine but the rooms were next to the main thoroughfare, so there was significant road noise until the town itself quieted down at around midnight every night (Sunday is the big party night in Cozumel). The food was good and service very friendly and fast. All the staff I encountered at the resort were genuinely friendly, not that “I’m getting paid to smile at you” friendly you get at some places.

The dive operation (boats, etc) was good and the dive staff were extremely professional and helpful. Dive times and depths were limited to no deco times and depths as you would expect from that type of operation. Since I was testing a rebreather that worked out fine as my marching orders for this trip were no deco depths and times as well.

Each night at around 6pm I would grab a cab with tanks in hand and head into town and hand Blanca at Deep Exposure the tanks for filling. The shop hours are 8am to 1pm and then 4pm to 7pm. Blanca would fill all three tanks while I waited. Deep Exposure is definitely geared toward the technical diver. They have full mixed gas filling facilities with banks of O2 and helium, a new compressor and lots of doubles and stage bottles. They also have one of the better restaurants in Cozumel right across the street from the shop, so I could eat dinner while the tanks were filled.

On the day that I was able to dive with Deep Exposure, Don picked me up at my hotels dock, which was a very nice(not to mention convenient) benefit as some hotels will not allow other operations to pick up guests at their docks no matter how much you beg. Thank you Blue Angel!

The boat was a 40ft converted yacht with a bathroom and large open back deck. Exactly what you would hope for in an operation catering to technical diving. We went to a site that is farther off the beaten path than the cattle boats usually go. Don was a bit crestfallen when I told him I was not supposed to do deco depths or times (damn you computerized dive logs!) but he took us to his second favorite dive site and we had a really nice 90 minute drift dive.

During the surface interval, a table was brought out and a spread of food to rival the hotel restaurant laid out. After getting over the shock of being fed more than a piece of fruit and a slightly stale muffin, I dug in to some damned tasty food.

Our second dive started at a wall and then we drifted into Palancar gardens where the famous swim throughs are. We did another 90 minute dive and then I was dropped off at my hotel dock.

Between the Dive Shop and the boat and crew, I highly recommend Deep Exposure if you are going to Cozumel for some Rebreather or OC Technical diving, or just want to get away from the crowds, do some long dives and have much more enjoyable surface intervals! They also have a deal with a local hotel so can get you a package deal if you like.

Deep Exposure sells Sofnolime 812 absorbent in 10 pound increments, or you can buy a 44lb keg. The O2 and helium were charged by the Cu Ft. The tanks were rented to me on a daily basis, but remember because I wasn’t diving with them most days, renting the tanks to me was a favor. They are very nice people but their customers come first and I was just fortunate that the 5 days I was diving they didn’t need the tanks for their clients.

Deep Exposure’s U.S. toll-free number is 1-866-670-2736 and their local number is (52)987-872-3621, or you can contact Blanca at blanca@deepexposuredivecenter.com .Their website address is Cozumel Diving with Deep Exposure Dive Center Cozumel .
    Last edited by saveourseas; 6th January 2012 at 01:28.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: Cozumel-Dec 2011 with Deep Exposure Dive Center

+1 for Don and Deep Exposure. They happen to be doing a Tech Week coming up in February or early March. I can't attend since I'll be heading to Provo a couple of weeks later, but I would jump all over it if I could.

Not Admin Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C is a splendid one to behold Mr_C's Avatar
    rEvo Micro III

rEvo Mini III, Optima

Good to know Don's shop/boat is good. My wife and I are attending the tech week at the end of Feb beginning of March. Been looking forward to it for quite awhile.

Eric

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by seldonsmule  View Original Post
    Good to know Don's shop/boat is good. My wife and I are attending the tech week at the end of Feb beginning of March. Been looking forward to it for quite awhile.

Eric
    That's great! I'm trying to make a hole in my schedule so I can attend at least a few days. Cozumel is so easy to get to now too. I think my ticket from Dallas in December was $350. And it was an all-metal plane too!
    Last edited by saveourseas; 6th January 2012 at 14:07.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

RBW Member FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler's Avatar
    Optima

I've signed up for Tech Week in Febuary and looking forward to diving with them

RBW Member orange_diver is an unknown quantity at this point orange_diver's Avatar

just to add my $.02 i tagged along with Matt and Don as an OC diver and Don provided large, nicely filled tanks for BG as well as slung 80s with 50% so i could go into a little deco whilst keeping a similar profile to the gents on the dark side.

it made for a great mixed team diving day. Thanks Don.

Ari

RBW Member in_minsk_we_trust is an unknown quantity at this point in_minsk_we_trust's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Another +1 for Don and Deep Exposure. Cannot say enough good stuff about that operation. I can vouch for the good food, super clean compressor station and Don probably knows more about deep technical and cave diving on that island than anyone.

To all who are attending Tech Week: I hate you.

RBW Member Roman_66 is an unknown quantity at this point Roman_66's Avatar
    Not own yet

Another +1 for Don and Deep Exposure.
    Fast and detail replies on mails helps to organize trip in ahead.
    I am not rebreather owner, so dived with doubles and long hose.
    Don is very professional, all shop and boat stuff are very friendly.
    Most dives I was diving with Don and rebreather group on Nitrox 32.
    Don has gases and compressor and it is important that he doesn’t need to send tank to other place to fill.
    One day was no place for me on technical boat, so I was moved to their second non-technical boat. Dives were less interesting, but still very good organized.
    Roman

Havin Fun Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C's Avatar
    rEvo III micro RMS

rEvo III mini, Optima

Hi Roman-
    Glad to see you on the forum. It was great diving with you in Cozumel. If you don't remember, I was the 1 female on the rebreather with the other 'gentlemen'.
    Maria told us about your dive day up north to see all the eagle rays but didn't see any. Hate to tell you but the next day's diving we had an amazing dive with an eagle ray that decided to become part of our dive group for awhile.

I posted a blurb about our dive week under another thread on the forum:
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=47941
    Kristi Cunningham

RBW Member zturtle is an unknown quantity at this point zturtle's Avatar
    rEvo micor FT

Another +1 for Don and Deep Exposure. Just got back from Cozumel and dove with them without any issues or problem. As stated they filled dill and O2 every night as need and had BO and sorb ready to use.
    DonZ

Closed Thread