+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CO contamination and the Analox CO Monitor

still learning... gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan's Avatar

CO contamination and the Analox CO Monitor

Not really an direct incident - mods feel free to move this post
    Please forgive the cross posting to several sites, just want to put this out there...

At a recent dive show I bought an Analox CO monitor.
    I have a small compressor, complete with small filters, and the more I read about their capacity, the more paranoid I got about gas contamination. So I put hour meters on the compressor (recommended), and moisture indicators (hmm, not sure, maybe just me), and a 2nd undersea filter (nice build quality), and finally an MDE PMV onto the compressor, all in an effort to minimise risk of bad gas from inadequate filtering.
    The last piece of the puzzle was to add the Analox CO Monitor.

What did I learn? Well, a hot compressor produces slightly more CO - typically 2/3 ppm vs 1/2 ppm, with NO PMV. Adding a PMV to the compressor knocked this down to 0/1ppm CO for all normal compressor temps. Happy
    Note this is for my setup only, other setups will vary...

My protocol now is to analyze EVERY tank that I fill from the compressor for CO.
    I have the anaylzer and its simple/quick to use. Bump gas is a pain to get ;-( but easy to use and the calibration adjustment is easy to knock out of position, so I marked it with tippex.

I'm realising now, I kinda bought it as belt and braces/but the more I use it, the more I realise how little I know/knew about CO/CO2/bad gas, as there was no cheap/easy way of monitoring this up to now!
    I'm also realising that monitoring every fill is a whole loot better than monitoring gas once every 3 months or so!

So, I'm filling (topping up) tank number 5 (i.e. 5th tank I've ever tested using the CO monitor),
    and after filling, I analyze the tank. CO monitor VERY rapidly gives a reading of 18PPM, and rising. Currently the HSE recommend 3PPM!

Much puzzlement/worry, checking of filters, emptying of tanks, recalibration, etc later, I determine that most likely my compressors working fine (filled multiple tanks subsequently and 0ppm, only 6 hours on new filters etc), therefore the CO contamination has most likely come from the tank I was topping up, NOT from the compressor.
    A couple of phone calls later, and its determined that the tank has only ever been filled by one or 2 current, commerical uk dive shops
    A couple of back of the envelope calculations, show the original tank must have been approximately 34/35ppm CO!

I never thought of analyzing the tanks BEFORE I fill then for CO, and/or if I'm honest, of analyzing gas from a uk dive shop for CO...

This 'incident' has convinced me of the value of these monitoring devices, as well as making me glad that I have one way valves on my filling setup (so no bad gas back into the filling system), as well as making me decide to analyze any tank(s) I'm going to extract gas from, for CO, before plumbing them into my filling station...

I was diving with the diver who breathed the original contaminated gas, perhaps luckily we were diving in shallow water, and the cold also meant the dive(s) werent that long, but none of us really had any idea the gas was contaminated till I analyzed it on refilling. I'd only really done that because I wanted to get in the habit of using/wanted to try out my new purchase.

Food for thought...

RBW Member tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris's Avatar
    Evolution, Side-mount Meg

Meg

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RBW Member Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Re: CO contamination and the Analox CO Monitor

Little off topic but what brand CO monitors are you guys using? I want to pick one up this year.

Thanks Doug

still learning... gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan's Avatar

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

nice piece of kit...
    how much roughly is one of these..
    shopping search engine on the quick unfortunately gave no results..

RBW Member Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    nice piece of kit...
    how much roughly is one of these..
    shopping search engine on the quick unfortunately gave no results..

Looks like the going rate is about $340.00

RBW Member shagyluke is on a distinguished road shagyluke is on a distinguished road shagyluke's Avatar
    Meg Copis

I got mine from Dive Addicts for 260.00 and I believe that included shipping.

KISS Classic

[quote=shagyluke;386609]I got mine from Dive Addicts for 260.00 and I believe that included shipping

you mean here

$260 is a good deal, everyone I have seen is about $340.00 if anyone knows where to get them cheaper please let us know

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

how is it fueled?
    Is it also some chemical cell as in oxygen analyzers?
    What is the opertating cost?

Arthur Pridham chewie525 will become famous soon enough chewie525 will become famous soon enough chewie525 will become famous soon enough chewie525 will become famous soon enough chewie525's Avatar

That link shows it t $341 must be off special

Chewie

[quote=Dougyfresh;386619]
    Quote Originally Posted by shagyluke  View Original Post
    I got mine from Dive Addicts for 260.00 and I believe that included shipping

you mean here

$260 is a good deal, everyone I have seen is about $340.00 if anyone knows where to get them cheaper please let us know

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast