+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swagelok

RBW Member Peter Andersson is an unknown quantity at this point Peter Andersson's Avatar
    jj-ccr

Swagelok

On the swagelok website you can read that the gasflow should go from the female QC to the male QC. But on switchblocks used with most pscr it's the other way around. Why is that?

RBW Member AzTek Diver is an unknown quantity at this point AzTek Diver's Avatar

Re: Swagelok

Because it works very well without issue, and the males are much smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the females, and more of them required on some dives. When carrying multiple stages/drives the males are easier to tuck away in a more streamlined way.

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Quote Originally Posted by AzTek Diver  View Original Post
    Because it works very well without issue, and the males are much smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the females, and more of them required on some dives. When carrying multiple stages/drives the males are easier to tuck away in a more streamlined way.
    I don't disagree, but I went the other direction because 1.) Swagelock said so, and 2.) - and most important - I personally feel that the female fittings are much more robust and protected than the male ends. So, all of my BO bottles, for example, have female ends; I feel better when they're rolling around a pitching metal boat deck, for example. FWIW, I also dive with the plastic covers that Swagelock sells for the female (a plug) and the male (a condom).
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

RBW Member AzTek Diver is an unknown quantity at this point AzTek Diver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by w ripley  View Original Post
    I don't disagree, but I went the other direction because 1.) Swagelock said so, and 2.) - and most important - I personally feel that the female fittings are much more robust and protected than the male ends. So, all of my BO bottles, for example, have female ends; I feel better when they're rolling around a pitching metal boat deck, for example. FWIW, I also dive with the plastic covers that Swagelock sells for the female (a plug) and the male (a condom).
    I use my RB80 only in caves and the female end being exposed can get silt/sand/mud in them without a good way to clean them out, the male ends you can pop a couple times and blow clean. Anything caught in the female side will be shoved into the system upon connection, just doesn't work for me. I don't use any protectors.

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Didn't know if you have seen these. I tie them to my hoses, etc., and they're dirt cheap, so if you lose one it's no big deal + they really work.
    Attached Images
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by w ripley  View Original Post
    Didn't know if you have seen these. I tie them to my hoses, etc., and they're dirt cheap, so if you lose one it's no big deal + they really work.
    I am surprised they don't offer proper blanks. I guess it will be dead easy to come up with a plastic mould of the actual fittings to fit the female end or over the male end.
    Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    I am surprised they don't offer proper blanks. I guess it will be dead easy to come up with a plastic mould of the actual fittings to fit the female end or over the male end.
    They do offer them, I have a few in SS but don't use them.

+ Reply to Thread