+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dummies guide to rebreathers

New Member Diving Dude is an unknown quantity at this point Diving Dude's Avatar

Dummies guide to rebreathers

Ok guys.

So l'm interested in getting a kiss later this year, after a trimix livaboard (40-70m)to donegal.
    The reason is that l can do this week on OC but have no chance of getting up to speed on a RB.

BUT l'm a bit of a RB dummy, l know the basic difference between a Kiss and an inspiration, but l know sod all about the rest.

So anyone fancy doing a dummies guide to rebreathers?? and when l say dummies l mean it, real easy to understand stuff.

Now l fly out to Cyprus (with a few from this site) wed am to dive the Zenobia, so be quick.

Team Torrent Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diving Dude
    Ok guys.

So l'm interested in getting a kiss later this year, after a trimix livaboard (40-70m)to donegal.
    The reason is that l can do this week on OC but have no chance of getting up to speed on a RB.

BUT l'm a bit of a RB dummy, l know the basic difference between a Kiss and an inspiration, but l know sod all about the rest.

So anyone fancy doing a dummies guide to rebreathers?? and when l say dummies l mean it, real easy to understand stuff.

Now l fly out to Cyprus (with a few from this site) wed am to dive the Zenobia, so be quick.

As an educator I dislike the name "Dummies". It's worked terrifically for the publisher, but it creates an assumption that everyone can learn the topic. It also sets a precedent for a complacent attitude towards the subject matter. Just my take.

As per rebreathers... the last thing we want are complacent users. There's quite a bit of method and physics necessary. The analogy of learning to fly a plane is a useful one here. I think I understand your needs. Perhaps some of the videos described on this site might be helpful. Ken

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    First up have you read all the articles in the articles section?

First you decide if you want semi closed or fully closed - I am going to assume you want fully closed as thats where most benefits come in.

For Semis think gas extender for fully closed think gas extender, deco minimiser, gas blending machine on your back.

Next up - do you want it controlled by a computer (or a computer there for back up) or do you want it totally manual.

Totally Manual - pick a Kiss or Sports Kiss depending on your depth and dive profile. Pluses - cost v.low - neg's - not as flexible or rated for as deep.

For Electronic - do you care about CE? If so at the moment its inspiration or evolution (Evo more portable but smaller scrubber) or Ouroboros if you want to spend a LOT of money and for not that good a duration from a scrubber but good build quality.

Dont care about CE? Then consider Prism - great price, good scrbber, delays in delivery times due to move or the Megalodon - highest build quality out there with long run times, ability to use CIS lunar scrubber, and hyper modular for ease of use when travelling...

That help?

Stuart

Classic KISS No. 226 RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark's Avatar
    Classic KISS w. Shearwater GF

Hi Howard,

Check out this thread in the KISS forum, I asked a similar question about the KISS and basic reading material, and received some good advice.

I managed to watch the RB FUNdamentals DVD, and its good but very basic, and does just about remove the fun from rebreathers though.... The book Mastering Rebreathers is very indepth and looks excellent.

I'll probably get the Mad Dog DVD once volume II is released as there's a section on the KISS, and this is the route that I'm planning on taking... roll on September!!

Cheers

Rich

Johnny The Hatch Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad's Avatar
    CCR2000, Megalodon, Homebuilt

Norge, FGT, mk15, KISS, Inspo

Hey, if you fly out to Cyprus hi Mark this week you will problably see me, i have the KISS so you can have a look at it.

/Jonny

Classic KISS No. 226 RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark's Avatar
    Classic KISS w. Shearwater GF

I've looked at Underwater Bookshopand they're selling Mastering Rebreathers for only £24, I just paid £30 from IANTD . In additon underwater bookshop is offering a further 10% on orders received before 18th May 2005 by quoting this discount coupon ref UKD405 when making payment.

Cheers

Rich

New Member Rob Evans is a jewel in the rough Rob Evans is a jewel in the rough Rob Evans is a jewel in the rough Rob Evans is a jewel in the rough Rob Evans is a jewel in the rough Rob Evans is a jewel in the rough Rob Evans is a jewel in the rough Rob Evans's Avatar
    Howard, ya knobber! I showed you how the YBOD works two years ago in Mull..

I do seem to remember you spent the whole time looking for the stopcock, muttering about the counterlungs needing repointing (there was some sucking of the teeth and mention of 'amateurs') and then you wandered off looking for the kettle.

Physics aside, you can't go far wrong with kato - AP valves are happy to serve up whatever execrable colour scheme your fevered mind can conjure up..

New Member Diving Dude is an unknown quantity at this point Diving Dude's Avatar
    Doh...... thanks Stuart, l've not been here long and didn't notice the articles section.

l've had a try dive with the inspiration but what put me off, was the clutter around the chest and the fact that a knobhead like Rob Evans uses one.

So to the YBOD users, if you were used to a wing and uncluttered chest how did you find adjusting to all the clobber on the front?

Team Torrent Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken's Avatar
    Doh...... thanks Stuart, l've not been here long and didn't notice the articles section.

l've had a try dive with the inspiration but what put me off, was the clutter around the chest and the fact that a knobhead like Rob Evans uses one.

So to the YBOD users, if you were used to a wing and uncluttered chest how did you find adjusting to all the clobber on the front?

Overall, it feels ugly at first...somewhat like that clown gif for the other fellow. However, like anything you get used to it. Finding the D ring can take some sorting out if it's hidden under the counterlung. The KISS is nicer, cleaner. Cheers. Ken

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

You're not alone. Several people have made the same comment after try dives. I kind of liked the "hug" of the counterlungs though. However, together with the hoses it is a PITA sometimes, even looking at your VR£ can be more effort than it should be. It's a small point for me though - I love my SSBOD to bits!

I played with a KISS recently and really liked the fact that the lungs where behind you and protected in a frame. If you really don't get on with the clutter, and it takes time to get used to it, then the KISS may be your option, and a cheaper one too.

But you won't go far wrong with a YBOD - just give it time...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast