+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dive Detectives

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Dive Detectives

Dive Detectives - Contact

Anyone know these guys? A number of episodes show there are support divers/camera divers who are diving rebreathers. Based on the profiles they are diving, it seems they would also be better off on rebreathers.

Dwayne

RBW Member Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure will become famous soon enough Scott.McClure's Avatar
    Draeger Dolphin (modified)

Re: Dive Detectives

When I first saw the show, I was wondering the same thing. Then I realized they were too busy finding new ways for the son to get Type 1 DCS in almost every episode.

I suppose they could increase the drama by having the son use a rebreather. Think of the possibilities:

1. He could jump in without his electronics on, as pass out from hypoxia at the start of the dive
    2. Improperly assemble the unit, and flood the scrubber
    3. Get a caustic cocktail, and spend half the episode barfing over the side

Hmm, now that I think about it, they really shouldn't use them. It would just be more negative PR for the rebreather community.

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.McClure  View Original Post
    Hmm, now that I think about it, they really shouldn't use them. It would just be more negative PR for the rebreather community.
    Actually I agree - They struggle blowing bubbles without hurting themselves, I would hate to see what they would do on the camera with a RB. The RB divers must have a story or two.

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

I know of these guys, and have dove with Warren Fletcher the son out in Toronto harbour on a few wrecks. They are commercial divers, Mike the father a long time commercial diver and friend to Clive Cussler, hence the show The Sea Hunters. They filmed a variety of shows with next to no budget not for fame but to bring the underwater world to the views of the public. Some of the technical dives have been questioned on many forums such as the hard hat shallow dives on the wreck of the Tiller in lake Ontario. It was a shallow dive of 100 feet to the dirt. It was all about the number of dives, insurance blah blah blah but some pick at them and the gear they use. Its raw and to some old school and the DIR sector on a Canadian forum I used to belong too chastized them to no end. They were bashed for the bungee wings and Canadian made drysuits they use, over dramatizing recreational dives to be more dangerous then they actually were. Seriously all in all they are divers, great guys, going around the world in search of lost ships, telling the tragedies and bringing to the viewers the underwater world. It didnt make them rich, wealthy or celebs,they didn't do it for that , it was a love of diving. I have often wondered why they don't use rebreathers...If i were to guess, I'd say being well seasoned commercial divers, they are used to tanks deco and long durations ..gas gas gas... It's what works for them.

Its easy to sit and pick apart someone, I am far from being a pro, but they are out there trying. Perhaps they are not perfect, but they never claimed to be world famous divers, nor do they pick apart agencies, people or other groups. They just dive...
    Last edited by RSmith; 18th December 2011 at 03:14.

rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by RSmith  View Original Post
    Its easy to sit and pick apart someone, I am far from being a pro, but they are out there trying. Perhaps they are not perfect, but they never claimed to be world famous divers, nor do they pick apart agencies, people or other groups. They just dive...
    Anyone know who the rebreather/support divers are? Maybe just local to specific dives??

Dwayne

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    Anyone know who the rebreather/support divers are? Maybe just local to specific dives??

Dwayne
    Good question, being they dive all around the world. I know from previous shows they use local divers to the area they are diving. It helps them better understand the waters, area, dive planning and wrecks they are diving. In Chile the Chile Navy, and divers were used, I would think that someone here in this forum must know or have worked with them. After all they are not the only ones holding a camera underwater....

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Gotta give you a plus 1 on your post- good on you. I was watching an episode of "Sharks" done by the Cousteau Society filmed in 1990 last night. I think most of the "experts" on forums like this would also tear apart their diving skills and methods back then- remember where our diving roots come from. As I get older and wish I'd been more adventurous in my 20's and tried to push my limitations and understanding of the UW world, I too wonder "what if?"

Quote Originally Posted by RSmith  View Original Post
    I know of these guys, and have dove with Warren Fletcher the son out in Toronto harbour on a few wrecks. They are commercial divers, Mike the father a long time commercial diver and friend to Clive Cussler, hence the show The Sea Hunters. They filmed a variety of shows with next to no budget not for fame but to bring the underwater world to the views of the public. Some of the technical dives have been questioned on many forums such as the hard hat shallow dives on the wreck of the Tiller in lake Ontario. It was a shallow dive of 100 feet to the dirt. It was all about the number of dives, insurance blah blah blah but some pick at them and the gear they use. Its raw and to some old school and the DIR sector on a Canadian forum I used to belong too chastized them to no end. They were bashed for the bungee wings and Canadian made drysuits they use, over dramatizing recreational dives to be more dangerous then they actually were. Seriously all in all they are divers, great guys, going around the world in search of lost ships, telling the tragedies and bringing to the viewers the underwater world. It didnt make them rich, wealthy or celebs,they didn't do it for that , it was a love of diving. I have often wondered why they don't use rebreathers...If i were to guess, I'd say being well seasoned commercial divers, they are used to tanks deco and long durations ..gas gas gas... It's what works for them.

RBW Member Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy's Avatar
    GAF mccr,rEvoII

Dolphin,Pelagian

Watched their series,have to agree with previous post they do what the do well,no chest beating or PR firm. Just good honest diving and entertainment.

RBW Member cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron's Avatar
    KISS Classic

As with most commercial divers, its about the job and diving is secondary. If they didn't make it dramatic, it wouldn't be very good TV. Only dive nerds are concerned about the trim of the diver where as joe blow tv watcher is concerned with story and suspense.

The fletchers are cool in my book.

Cam

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

i gotta say i too thought them over dramatic , on some dives but thats tv. Leaky regs (on several dives) makes me wonder about the way they dive and take safety. just becuase you are a commercial diver ,doesnt make make you immune from good diving practices.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast