+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best time of year for Keys trip

RBW Member AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewR's Avatar
    Sentinel Expedition

Best time of year for Keys trip

Hoping someone local can help. When's the best time of year for a Keys trip. Don't want to fly across the pond only to have picked the worst possible season
    Last edited by AndrewR; 16th December 2011 at 14:38.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Re: Best time of year for Keys trip

Summer will have 87F water, good vis, and flat seas. The air will be hot and humid. There can be cold water upwelling at depth, bringing the temp to 63F or even below.

Winter can have weeks of winds that make it too rough to dive, reduced vis, and water temps of about 71F. We usually do not have upwelling in this season.

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    Winter can have weeks of winds that make it too rough to dive
    Or months of winds. I haven't done an ocean dive since September.

For traveling divers, the safe bet is Summer (May-September.) Winter months are just too unpredictable.

Sentinel Expedition

Thanks for the guidance. Might have a look at something in Sept next year

Supporting Member Capt Gary is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Gary's Avatar

Hey AndrewR,

I've actually seen every month of the year look good, but Sept and April/May have been known to be good too.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Good Diving,
    Capt Gary
    Conch Republic Divers
    (305)852-1655
    dive@conchrepublicdivers.com

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

We were down there last April with Gary and got ten beautiful days of diving in.... Calm seas, water in the mid 70's, and lot's of sunshine....

Richie

September can be iffy with huricane season! Summer months are more stable.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

The summer months have the humidity and the mosquitos though. Plus the boats are busy.

I like May or (usually) September through December. Not this year though :)

Especially for CCR diving. I like to dive dry as it can drop to 50F on the deeper wrecks, so a drysuit is nice. The problem with the summer is that you will be cooking on the deck of the boat in a drysuit, so I am forced to dive wet. Nice on deco, but can be miserable on the bottom on occasions.

The shallower wrecks like the Spiegel, Duane Bibb etc are warm all the way to the bottom

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

For what its worth, my best trips have been in May and June. As mentioned September can be great yet unpredictable. April is also the same as September. All of these trips are wetsuit dives. If you have the choice fly into FT. Lauderdale as it's a much nicer and efficient airport over Miami- plus departures on Tuesday and Wednesday are much cheaper than weekend arrivals/departures
    Click onto the link at the bottom of my post for photos I'v taken in the Keys

Sentinel Expedition

Is early April and so Easter, going to be packed ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast