+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rebreather from stab-jacket?

RBW Member Anthony Appleyard is an unknown quantity at this point Anthony Appleyard's Avatar

Re: Rebreather from stab-jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by John Liddiard  View Original Post
    Bob Howell did just that with an AP jacket 20+ years ago when homebuilds were all there was.
    Are there any images of that breathing set? Does it still exist?

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

Some were in one of the magazines, from before they put everything on the web. I don't know how to find them. Bob's web site got taken down after trading standards took offence to all the non ce bits on it.

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

His web site was http://www.rebreather.org.uk/ . Now defunct. You may be able to get some of the content from a wayback archive.
    Last edited by John Liddiard; 24th December 2016 at 13:40.

RBW Member Anthony Appleyard is an unknown quantity at this point Anthony Appleyard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Appleyard  View Original Post
    As a stab-jacket's bag is so big, it may be possible to sew down along the midline at the top and thus divide it into separate inhalent and exhalent bags.
    Herewith a CGI attempt at a split-bag stabjacket-to-rebeather conversion, using only the 2 connections that a Buddy Commando stab-jacket has. The tubes contain one-way valves to keep the gas flowing the correct direction. The left (exhalent) side is inflated.

rfs2_unslave_mids_02_diver.jpg

RBW Member jneves is on a distinguished road jneves is on a distinguished road jneves's Avatar
    Se7en/Mk6 Discovery/O2ptima

DIY/Dolphin/Ray

Talking Re: Rebreather from stab-jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by lof  View Original Post
    Many moons ago, at the begining of this millenium I have "designed" few of these babies. Even dove some of them.
    I just dug out the old web site

Horse Collar Based CCR
    GolemGear

Wing Based CCR
    GolemGear

and the best of them
    the Dry Suit based CCR
    GolemGear

Here is the Home page for the old site
    GolemGear

Remember, do not try this at home, I was already tried, by highly skilled professionals
    Sorry, could not resiste... Suit based idea is much older than that! See this early FARTOX CCR design...

JNeves
    IMG_0076.jpg

Herewith another image of my 2-bag stabjacket-to-rebreather CGI Poser model. The men's compressed-air-powered underwater guns show where the inflation cylinders of the original stabjackets ended up in a waterfront workshop. Looks like that the area's port authority have something to hide underwater.
    rebrfromstab42b_01g.jpg

Nitrox version, left side of bag inflated, electronics box behind absorbent canister:-
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Anthony Appleyard; 25th June 2017 at 14:41.

RBW Member tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit Lte

Azimuth, KISS CLASSIC,KISS GEM

I assumed that the term "stab-jacket" was some sort of inside joke sexual reference. My curiosity aroused, I read enough to see it was just a "BC" or buoyancy compensator. Sure you could convert it into a rebreather lung. I suppose in a pinch you could convert a vacuum cleaner bag or an enema bag also. But why? Rebreather lungs cost a good bit more than old BC's (a lot less if you find used ones) but that is not the pricey part of a rebreather. But what the heck, keep up the experiments.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by tcascione  View Original Post
    I assumed that the term "stab-jacket" was some sort of inside joke sexual reference. My curiosity aroused, I read enough to see it was just a "BC" or buoyancy compensator. Sure you could convert it into a rebreather lung. I suppose in a pinch you could convert a vacuum cleaner bag or an enema bag also. But why? Rebreather lungs cost a good bit more than old BC's (a lot less if you find used ones) but that is not the pricey part of a rebreather. But what the heck, keep up the experiments.
    Stab-Jacket = Stabilising Jacket = BCD

Rebreather lungs should/do cost peanuts (before retailers add 500%+ to the cost)

Using a BCD as a lung is an Old idea, not necessarily a bad concept, they are worn close to the body/lungs and are ripe for adding ports and inflates too.

Perhaps this topic is abit to much for the common user/white-goods type ECCR buyer who wouldn't be seen dead near a home builder

IMO, if you were going to use a BCD you'd replace the bladder inside with multiple bags- (a couple of lungs and some kind of wing) afterall you don't need all the available volume, however it would be plumbing nightmare

3 types of people in this cliche.
    1. Divers
    2. Builders
    3. Inventors

Being one of the above is enough for most people, a few people manage to be two but being all three is the domain of a few genius/guru level individuals, if you're not sure you're #3, leave it to stuff made by #2's

Quote Originally Posted by tcascione  View Original Post
    I assumed that the term "stab-jacket" was ...
    Here, "stab" is short for "stabilizer".

About the size of a stab-jacket's bag, I was thinking of sewing down the middle to make a left bag and a right bag (and to avoid inflating the part across the midline behind his neck), to make a two-bag circuit: lungs to left bag to absorbent to right bag to lungs.

This is in GCI art only: unfortunately I have stopped scuba diving and I have no workshop.
    Last edited by Anthony Appleyard; 26th June 2017 at 12:17.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3