+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Who are you?" "This is me..." ....

New Member Sniperx is an unknown quantity at this point Sniperx's Avatar

"Who are you?" "This is me..." ....

"You wouldn't kid me about a thing like that." Conversation between Hawkeye Pierce and a local "Kim Luck".

Anyway....aside from liking MASH, I've been fascinated by the water. I learned to swim around 3 or 4, learned to snorkel and rudementary free dive at about 9. Sadly, this is where my underwater experiences ended. My father developed a "condition" where being in a mask in the ocean produced serious sea sickness...he was a certified diver prior to that. Now he has to take dramamine to ride the carosel at Disneyland. I continued my pursuit of water through surfing, snorkeling, body surfing, skimboarding, swimming, and water polo. I always wanted to learn scuba, but dad lost his nerve and wouldn't help me out. I remember one day seeing a richmans vacation type TV show and there was a strange rebreather with moving hoses and no pack to speak of (I now believe this is recreational Japanese piece). It mentioned no special training and a 2 hour run through was all that was needed. Rebreather technology has always fascinated me and reading about the basic principle boggled my mind.....its soooooo simple in function. I knew from chemistry many of the chemical principles and it made perfect sense the way the whole shebang worked.

Then...

I began to partake in modern military simulations. This brought a severe interest in the Russian Spetsnaz units. One day when I was cruising for some new kit I ran across an IDA-71. Thats a unique piece I thought...would be different to haul that to an event. Filed it under interesting things found online.

Since this finding and interest...I was offered a unique oppurtunity to work in Japan doing product design and international marketing for a military simulation equipment designer. Well, I've come into some dispoable income and have made some local discoveries of water holes I'd like to look into (despite the local ghost tales which are hideously scary). This coupled with the expense of scuba here (600usd for a new 12l tank) and the relative affordability of the IDA...I've been giving it a harder thought.

I am no stranger to tinkering and repairs. I own a BMW V12 and do 90% of my own work on it. I've installed an electronic fuel injected engine into a 1968 Mustang. On top of this..the industry I work in revolves around gas pressure, HP tanks, orings, and regulators.

Now for my problem. I am looking into a unit with an almost zero teaching base (some hotel in Thailand offers a course after like 4 scuba courses). I am in a country where english isn't the language of choice...and usually isn't faked like it can be in some euro spots. So that leaves me with no knowledge base, little to no local teaching of rebreathers or the IDA, and a feeling of no hope.

My desires are not grand ones. I don't want to see the bottom of the Mariana Trench (well I do...but not that way). I figure I'm not going under 100-120 feet absolute maximum. I'll probably be more in the area of 70 feet or so. I'll be doing a lot of fresh water (treasure hunting....japanese often threw things into bodies of water to maker them "disappear"). I just got through reading the thread of self tought vs agency (until it turned into a wine discussion around 8 or 9) and wondering what I can do myself and what I would have to pursue through classes. I know this isn't a forgiving game, but I feel confident in my overall mechanical understanding to correctly pursue such a fascinating passtime.
    Last edited by Sniperx; 4th April 2006 at 16:09. Reason: wrong word in quote

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: "Who are you?" "This is me..." ....

Welcome to rebreatherworld. I have never dove an IDA but I would like to some day. Since you say you are starting from the ground up I would suggest you get some training. The only person I know of who teaches diving on the IDA 71 is Andy Fritz who owns Big Blue in Koh Samui Thailand. He is also the maker of the Pelagian rebreather and I think he posts on this board.
    Good luck with you unit and have lots of fun.
    Last edited by wedivebc; 4th April 2006 at 16:59.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Welcome to Rebreather World. :D

There are a couple of IDA divers here on the board who will hopefully read you intro and reply. You can also check the gallery for pictures (other CCR and homebuild galleries) and then search for their posts. ;)

And you definitely want to have a look at Diver Dave ******'s website. Teardowns of and modifications to several rebreathers, including IDA-71. :D
    Last edited by caveseeker7; 5th April 2006 at 17:40. Reason: corrected IDA's number

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Of course it would be best for you to converse with our IDA divers on this Board, so as to get the info directly from those who are doing the deeds.

I do know one diver who did a really nice conversion on an IDA-71, but he was not happy with the counter-lung volume, and had some problems with CO2 accumulation while diving the rig.

This is just second-hand stuff, however, so have a chat with our "Russians" and see what they have to say!

Rob

New Member Sniperx is an unknown quantity at this point Sniperx's Avatar

I've gone through the ****** page about 3 times rreading everything. The system is just fascinating to me. Anyone know of where to get rebreather basics here in Japan? Thailand is quite a hike....

RBW Member Jens Kallmeyer is an unknown quantity at this point Jens Kallmeyer's Avatar
    SF2

modified russian

HI

I had a similar problem, wanting to do rebreather diving with a russian unit, of course there was no training available.
    I can only recommend to you to get some kind of certification, perhaps on a dolphin or ray, so you understand the basics of RB Diving. Then make the big plunge and get yourself a russian babe. Be prepared to work a lot with adaptors and try to get some access to a lathe etc, to do some conversions. Depending on how much you want to pimp your RB, this can be a lot of work.
    That's how I did it and it worked. You already found Dave's website, that is good. Knowing Dave personally and having dived his Minimum Rebreather (my next investment), I cannot recommend his website highly enough.

Best wishes

Jens

Rebreatherlab Rep Rebreatherlab is a jewel in the rough Rebreatherlab is a jewel in the rough Rebreatherlab is a jewel in the rough Rebreatherlab is a jewel in the rough Rebreatherlab is a jewel in the rough Rebreatherlab is a jewel in the rough Rebreatherlab is a jewel in the rough Rebreatherlab's Avatar
    PELAGIAN DCCCR

Hi there,

The IDA-71P and most other Russian military RB's are facinating machines and it is a good, (cheap!), starting point for modifications. You can take it step by step and experiment. Usually as you grow as a diver you will place higher expectations on your RB and when the day comes you are not content with a unit that works, but is also easy to breathe with and that offers a descent swimming position, you will put the IDA on a high shelf. A key thing to keep in mind is that the IDA was never intended for any extended swimming. More like a escape unit or "go down and work on something" unit. In any case an escape or work usually means a vertical body position and it is actually quite nice to breath with as long as you remain vertical. If you also change the breathing bag you will only end up with the shell and maybe the breathing hoses, but most probably not. Through out the process of modifying it there are many places where it is easy to overlook issues, especially if you have no formal RB training. What I used to offer before was not really a course. More like a seminar with the focal point on ideas on how to modify the IDA. A prerequisite was to be certified with some typ of sanctioned rebreather. After modifying the unit we would go for some dives, but at not point was any certifications issued. Today there are so many sources of information and anyone can buy a IDA71 on ebay for 500 bucks, so I rarely do these seminars anymore. Still it is fun to think back and realise that the rebreather I am manufacturing today as a full time job springs from the IDA. My advise for you is to take some standard CCR course. Surely you must be able to find instruction for that in Japan. If not, come over to Thailand and join a course for my Pelagian. This will reseble the way you will most likely dive your IDA, i.e. as a mechanical CCR and will serve you better than any SCR course. As I know dive instruction in Japan is quite expensive, maybe the saving will pay for the ticket to Thailand!

If you choose no instruction, my best advise is to test any modification as follows:

Dive 1 in your sofa watching TV with your girlfriend and a bowl of ice water. Instruct girlfriend to pour bowl of ice water on face, (your face!), if you pass out.

Dive 2 - 6 on high O2 in a pool with a friend ready to step in. Tell him he need to watch you all the time. Yes. ALL the time!
    I cant give recommendations for futher dives as they would depend on what modification you are testing.

All the best and be CAREFUL!

Andy
    REBREATHER LAB

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperx
    I've gone through the ****** page about 3 times rreading everything. The system is just fascinating to me. Anyone know of where to get rebreather basics here in Japan? Thailand is quite a hike....

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: "Who are you?" "This is me..." ....

hi Sniperx welcome to the world of home building and rebreather world!
    i have a few friends that dive the IDA71
    there a few things to look out for if your converting it to ccr but im shore you'll find them in the arcives if not please give me a shout
    i've never dived the 71.. but my very first rb was going to be the 72 until dave ****** told me not to! but after having my hands on one i can tell you it's a beast of an rb and many could learn from it.
    kindest regards john routley
    www.narkedat90.co.uk
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe

digital nomad GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM's Avatar
    Hyperion pSCR

IDA71, HomeBuilts, Ray, RGU/FM

Hi,

I just spotted your post - must have missed it since there is so much stuff put here daily!

I dive a modified IDA-71 and am quite happy with it. It is not very expensive or complicated to build and dive it. However, there are limitations to the unit.

As others have said before me, there is no water trap and the exhaled gas passes through hoses in the breathing CL. You need to be very careful in what you do. If you manage to get your hands on a unit, there are plenty of people that can steer you in the right direction wrt mods.

Before you start modifying and toying with RBs you have to realize that in thiis "game", mistakes can be fatal.

If you want to see more on the modified IDA I have, please visit these links:

http://www.kamarinos.com/rebreather/IDA71.asp
    http://www.kamarinos.com/rebreather/IDA71b.asp and
    http://www.kamarinos.com/gallery/

Cheers,
    George

+ Reply to Thread