+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lifejacket to rebreather

RBW Member Anthony Appleyard is an unknown quantity at this point Anthony Appleyard's Avatar

Lifejacket to rebreather

This image on Janwillem Bech's site shows a lifejacket conversion made in 1980 where the converter managed a circulation rather than a pendulum system.

This link is about a diver's lifejacket to pendulum rebreather conversion, for CCR or SCR.

I heard about such conversions long ago. I am in England. I started scuba diving in the mid 1960's when rebreathers were just about impossible for the public to get, and the BSAC and other sport diving clubs forbad rebreathers. Home-made lifejacket conversions were mentioned then and disapproved of, including that they sometimes ended fatally, due to such things as inadaquate scrubber size and miscellaneous bad design and bad workmanship.
    Last edited by Anthony Appleyard; 28th November 2011 at 09:49.

lEEbo lEEblEEdErs seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick's Avatar
    rEvo II Micro FT mCCR

Shearwater Meg DCCCR

Re: Lifejacket to rebreather

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Appleyard  View Original Post
    This image on Janwillem Bech's site shows a lifejacket conversion made in 1980 where the converter managed a circulation rather than a pendulum system.

This link is about a diver's lifejacket to pendulum rebreather conversion, for CCR or SCR.

I heard about such conversions long ago. I am in England. I started scuba diving in the mid 1960's when rebreathers were just about impossible for the public to get, and the BSAC and other sport diving clubs forbad rebreathers. Home-made lifejacket conversions were mentioned then and disapproved of, including that they sometimes ended fatally, due to such things as inadaquate scrubber size and miscellaneous bad design and bad workmanship.
    Thanks for the interesting link.....
    Green sent....

Best regards,
    SS

RBW Member Anthony Appleyard is an unknown quantity at this point Anthony Appleyard's Avatar

Herewith a CGI attempt at 2 divers with the version with a circulation, which I linked to before.
    Attached Images

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Dave Ray is New Zealander living in Germany at the mo I believe. He working on a number of projects in the 1980s including a commercial project or two. He's was then way ahead of his tome - he lurks here occasionally maybe we can get him to talk about his other projects?

I have now made CGI (Poser) models of both these sorts of converted lifejacket.
    Attached Images

This link (reported on http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=40931 that thread) is about a diver's lifejacket to rebreather conversion (Duncan Price's P1SS) which he much used for cave diving: oxygen and nitrox cylinders hanging down each hip, canister across middle of lifejacket, pendulum system: see http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=2616.
    Last edited by Anthony Appleyard; 13th December 2011 at 10:57.

RBW Member Paua is an unknown quantity at this point Paua's Avatar

Hi,

Osiris is right, I do lurk here.

Yep! I made that beast back about 1972. Not a life jacket but an old Fenzy bouyancy compensator. Actually not "old" at all then. You could buy a brand new one. Many divers then didn't even use BCs.

Basically I took the hoses from an old Black Prince twin hose reg (I still have it but may sell if anyone collects such things) and got a machinist mate to make a filling convertor so I could fill the standard Fenzy tank with O2.

I did'n know a thing about O2 clean or much about O2 toxicity either.

It actually worked. I couldn't find anywhere to buy sorb so I "borrowed" some from the exercise physiology lab at Otago Phys Ed School from a closed circuit VO2 max apparatus.

But here I am, older and not much bloody wiser.

Cheers

Paua (Dave)

This link ... a diver's lifejacket to rebreather conversion (Duncan Price's P1SS) which he much used for cave diving...
    Please, what words do the initials P1SS stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by Paua  View Original Post
    ... Not a life jacket but an old Fenzy bouyancy compensator. Actually not "old" at all then. ...
    Here in England we called them a "diver's lifejacket", before scuba diving got so permeated with sets of initials.

RBW Member Paua is an unknown quantity at this point Paua's Avatar

Please, what words do the initials P1SS stand for?

I think that its a "piss take" on the KISS rebreather plus the fact that Duncan's is a pendulum system therefore PISS or P1SS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast