+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scooter + Camera

Scuba Nerd voets has a spectacular aura about voets has a spectacular aura about voets has a spectacular aura about voets has a spectacular aura about voets has a spectacular aura about voets has a spectacular aura about voets's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Ray, RG-UF/M , FGT I/D

Scooter + Camera

I recently bought a Cuda 650 scooter. I also have a Sony A350 in an Ikelite Housing.
    Until I now I take only one of my toys with me on a dive. We will be diving the Hemmoor quarry in december however, which is a very nice place to scooter AND photograph.

So..... I'm curious if anyone takes his camera with him while scootering? Are there any tricks to store the camera in a safe way until you stop to take pictures?

Easiest would be to get 2 additional arms attached to my body, but I don't have any octopuses in my familytree .....

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

Re: Scooter + Camera

I am not a an experienced photographer, but have had good experience with to secure the camera as I would with my stage bottles. I have attached a bolt snap on each arm to the strobes and secure them to the chest d-ring and butt plate.

RBW Member Alexx is an unknown quantity at this point Alexx's Avatar
    Megalodon

Check out Metalsub quick release clamp. I saw several divers using it with cameras and scooters!

IANTD HH CCR & PSCR Inst mt.podgorczyk is an unknown quantity at this point mt.podgorczyk's Avatar
    HammerHead eCCR

3P PSCR

Hey Guys,

Got the same problem. Cuda nad Aquatica Housing + 2x Inon Z240. Any expirience with mounting camera to the scooter for the transport?

Take care

TYm

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by mt.podgorczyk  View Original Post
    Any expirience with mounting camera to the scooter for the transport?
    Lots. I've used Light & Motion bluefins, DSLR housings, compacts and GoPro's mounted on both Dive X and SS scooters. Deep dives as well as cave dives.

The first thing is the scooter mount. I don't want to start a east coast versus west coast thing with Dive x and SS, but the SS mount is much better. Lighter, with a much lower profile. This is important for the trim of the scooter, especially in a cave. There is simply not enough weight you can remove from the scooter ro compensate, and this makes for a heavy scooter. Not impossible to control, but difficult when you're trying not to silt out the place. It also wears you out, as you fight with the scooter

The weight of the housing will also want to roll the whole unit inverted. This makes for a tiresome ride. This is only compounded with the taller/heavier dive x mount. True, the housing in question can be made lighter with buoyancy floats, but this significantly adds to your drag.

The mounting point on the SS mount can also be detached/re-attached in seconds with the 2 quick release pins.

Although its possible, I wouldn't clip off a camera while scootering, as the possibility of damage/flooding is too great, especially with ilkelite.

My advise is get the SS mount. Scooter to the desired spot, loosen 2 nylon finger bolts, pull 2 pins an the whole camera and mount are now apart. Film/photograph then re-attach and go.

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    Lots. I've used Light & Motion bluefins, DSLR housings, compacts and GoPro's mounted on both Dive X and SS scooters. Deep dives as well as cave dives.

The first thing is the scooter mount. I don't want to start a east coast versus west coast thing with Dive x and SS, but the SS mount is much better. Lighter, with a much lower profile. This is important for the trim of the scooter, especially in a cave. There is simply not enough weight you can remove from the scooter ro compensate, and this makes for a heavy scooter. Not impossible to control, but difficult when you're trying not to silt out the place. It also wears you out, as you fight with the scooter

The weight of the housing will also want to roll the whole unit inverted. This makes for a tiresome ride. This is only compounded with the taller/heavier dive x mount. True, the housing in question can be made lighter with buoyancy floats, but this significantly adds to your drag.

The mounting point on the SS mount can also be detached/re-attached in seconds with the 2 quick release pins.

Although its possible, I wouldn't clip off a camera while scootering, as the possibility of damage/flooding is too great, especially with ilkelite.

My advise is get the SS mount. Scooter to the desired spot, loosen 2 nylon finger bolts, pull 2 pins an the whole camera and mount are now apart. Film/photograph then re-attach and go.
    I agree for the most part. I'll add though that I think a dslr mounted to a dpv for still photography is a hindrance, not help. For video there are advantages but not stills.

The SS mount is ok but still a pain in the ass to put a camera on/off the dpv. I try and minimize this action as much as possible. Shooting stills with camera mounted to dpv is just difficult too, so forget about that.

In still mode I simply treat the camera like a sling. I try and keep travel on dpv power and shooting separate, so I'll stow one or the other depending on what I'm doing.

I'm no gue, but I see a lot of advantages to left only stage tanks when you want to run a camera and dpv, as it frees up the right and side allowing you to stow camera or dpv. That said I usually side mount my bailout left/right, stow the camera above my right bailout cylinder when traveling. I've found it easy to get tangled/snagged on the dpv lead doing this when stowing the dpv along side a sling though (even when lead is slipped up neatly, something to keep in mind).

Housing from and buoyancy is a key factor to all this in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread