+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Xplorer Sport Rebreather from Hollis

Hugh Miller HMP has a spectacular aura about HMP has a spectacular aura about HMP has a spectacular aura about HMP has a spectacular aura about HMP has a spectacular aura about HMP's Avatar
    rEvo

Inspo, Sentinel, Mk15.5

Re: Xplorer Sport Rebreather from Hollis

What I meant was, I felt I was only just getting to the interesting details when the video/interview finished. I mean pretty much till the end it was, it has a scrubber and hoses you breath through and a couple of counter lungs, not exactly massively enlightening stuff, bar the physical scrubber go/no-go and shutoff on the DSV.

Thank you to Saveourseas and Wetfun for going further and explaining in more detail what makes this unit interesting. Variable PPO2, intelligent OPV, hydrostatic imbalance valve, - fascinating and original thinking being displayed on a rebreather for once. Just because this is a 'sport' rebreather it should not be disregarded or overlooked.

One thing I did notice (beside the lovely oled display) was the fact that the scrubber pre-breath is 1min. There is no way that VR would change a fundamental like that without good reason, (the Sentinel being a min of 5min) I'd love to hear their thinking behind that.

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by HMP  View Original Post
    One thing I did notice (beside the lovely oled display) was the fact that the scrubber pre-breath is 1min. There is no way that VR would change a fundamental like that without good reason, (the Sentinel being a min of 5min) I'd love to hear their thinking behind that.
    Good question. The one minute pre-breathe is part of the unit's electronic setup and is done to make sure that the O2 cells will register a drop in PO2, and that the CO2 cell does not see any CO2, which would indicate that the user accidentally inserted a totally spent cartridge or a self-pack scrubber with no absorbent in it.

I believe it will still be recommended in the training program that a minimum 5 minute pre-breathe is done prior to jumping in the water.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelS.  View Original Post
    What is the planned max depth for this, will there be updates/upgrades for deeper/longer dives with more advanced training? What about offboard gas mangement? Also just for FYI will there be an option for extend air cartridges? Last thing which training agencies will be teaching this unit and when?
    Max depth is 130 feet and there are no plans as far as I know to offer a "techreational" deep upgrade kit of any sort, hardware or software. It was designed for the sport market and is limited to a 2 hour dive time by the tested cartridge duration.

Offboard gas management will be limited in training to bailout gas per PADI & TDI sport rebreather training.

There will not be an option for extend air cartridges.

When the ESR (Explorer Sport Rebreather) launches, TDI and PADI are the two agencies, however there were many meetings wit agencies at DEMA so the hope is that more agencies will be on board by then.

If you are looking for something that you can grow with, the Prism has a tested max depth of 500 fsw and a 4 hour NEDU tested duration.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by HMP  View Original Post
    What I meant was, I felt I was only just getting to the interesting details when the video/interview finished.
    Agreed, but you have to understand that Kurt just got back from DEMA where word has it at the RBW party he was passed out in a puddle of beer wearing a Kilt, so God knows what demons are haunting him in his editing bay now!
    A is A

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by saveourseas

Agreed, but you have to understand that Kurt just got back from DEMA where word has it at the RBW party he was passed out in a puddle of beer wearing a Kilt, so God knows what demons are haunting him in his editing bay now!
    It was a pool of beer, get your freekin story right!

Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    It was a pool of beer, get your freekin story right!
    It started as a pool, but by the time you were finished all that was left was a puddle, is the way I heard the story told.

What goes on in Orlando, stays on RBW… for eternity.
    A is A

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by saveourseas  View Original Post
    It started as a pool, but by the time you were finished all that was left was a puddle, is the way I heard the story told.

What goes on in Orlando, stays on RBW… for eternity.
    Sorry to have to tell you, but the puddle was NOT beer......
    Well it was several hours earlier....

RBW Member special ed is an unknown quantity at this point special ed's Avatar
    Optima

Quote Originally Posted by Wetfun  View Original Post
    Kevin Gurr has done something important, the Explorer is a VARIABLE PPO2 sport rebreather.

The diver can set a high PPO2 limit and a low PPO2 limit. Lets say these are set to 1.30 and 0.50.

Diving a 40% Nitrox with a MOD of 100 fsw where the PPO2 will spike at 1.60.

On descent the ADV will maintain loop compliant volume. On reaching the bottom @ 100 fsw the PPO2 could be as high as 1.60. As the diver consumes the oxygen the PPO2 drops to 1.30 and the ESR will add gas to maintain that PPO2, and the loop control valve will vent excess gas by bubbling at 16mb. High PPO2 extends the divers range by reducing exposure to nitrogen.

The HUD flashes Blue/Green = look at the handset which says go to a shallower depth.

While ascending to a shallow reef at 30 fsw the rig vents through the loop control valve or the 40mb over pressure relief valve and the ESR adds gas to maintain appropriate PPO2. (a gradient from 1.30 to 0.50 matching the depth reduction) (this is a very intelligent rig)

At 30 fsw the ESR drops the PPO2 to 0.50, extending the range of the gas.

When the diver ascends to the surface the ESR injects gas to maintain the PPO2 within safe limits.

Chauncey

These PPO2's scare me on a rebreather... Thaty is a high constant PPO2.
    On OC not so bad..

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

To view the more pictures of the Hollis Sport go to......

RebreatherWorld Gallery - DEMA 2011 - Powered by PhotoPost

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by special ed  View Original Post
    These PPO2's scare me on a rebreather... Thaty is a high constant PPO2.
    On OC not so bad..
    These days nobody in the recreational community would plan dives with MOD's with a PO2 of 1.6. The point was that the rebreather will wait until the diver's PO2 comes back into the Hi range the diver set (in that example 1.4) before injecting O2, unlike other SCR's which would keep adding gas. With slower descents, it is entirely possible to hit 100ft and maintain a loop PO2 of 1.2, even with 40%. It would only be at bailout that you would get high PO2's if you attempted to breathe from the on-board supply gas, which means off-board bailout planning in this scenario should be either air or Nitrox32.

I think the example was just to show how the computer would deal with a temporary spike brought on by a rapid descent.
    Last edited by saveourseas; 9th November 2011 at 02:02.
    A is A