+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be new CCR diver

RBW Member Tiptopperoo will become famous soon enough Tiptopperoo will become famous soon enough Tiptopperoo will become famous soon enough Tiptopperoo's Avatar
    jj-CCR

Soon to be new CCR diver

Hi guys,

I've been on the boards for quite some time now, and have had a unit ordered for the past few months. I've got a JJ scheduled for delivery mid Dec with training to be done in Thailand, in Jan.

I'm moving to CCR as I'm regularly diving 40-60m. Doing it on air is just silly (and I can't remember large portions of the dive) but He in my part of the world is also very expensive. Add to this that twin 12's are a pain in the butt to lug about and get filled all the time, so CCR just makes a lot of sense to me. I've also already outlaid a fair bit of cash on OC training and don't see the point in spending more for OC trimix when it's not all that viable.

So I had a couple of questions for the CCR guys out there.

Firstly. I really want to sell my OC tech gear. I'll still keep my single tank rig, but why would I keep a twin set, regs, BP/W that I am rarely if ever going to use. I know that twin 12's can be nice to fill off, but really I could just get some extra CCR cylinders and fill once every 2-3 dives.

Also cylinder size. I have been reccomended 5L make a nice size as then you have a fair bit of onboard bailout. I like the idea of having the unit as light as is possible, and also that when bailing out, you BAIL OUT. Completely of the CCR, get to the surface, dive over.

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

Dave

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Re: Soon to be new CCR diver

Quote Originally Posted by Tiptopperoo  View Original Post
    Hi guys,

I've been on the boards for quite some time now, and have had a unit ordered for the past few months. I've got a JJ scheduled for delivery mid Dec with training to be done in Thailand, in Jan.

I'm moving to CCR as I'm regularly diving 40-60m. Doing it on air is just silly (and I can't remember large portions of the dive) but He in my part of the world is also very expensive. Add to this that twin 12's are a pain in the butt to lug about and get filled all the time, so CCR just makes a lot of sense to me. I've also already outlaid a fair bit of cash on OC training and don't see the point in spending more for OC trimix when it's not all that viable.

So I had a couple of questions for the CCR guys out there.

Firstly. I really want to sell my OC tech gear. I'll still keep my single tank rig, but why would I keep a twin set, regs, BP/W that I am rarely if ever going to use. I know that twin 12's can be nice to fill off, but really I could just get some extra CCR cylinders and fill once every 2-3 dives.

Also cylinder size. I have been reccomended 5L make a nice size as then you have a fair bit of onboard bailout. I like the idea of having the unit as light as is possible, and also that when bailing out, you BAIL OUT. Completely of the CCR, get to the surface, dive over.

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

Dave
    Dave First congratulation on your decision to go with the JJ you will really like the rig.

5lt on-boards are my preferred choice as they provide several advantage upto to 60m range for personal bailout, rescue and flushing via the BOV and ADV.

It will very much depend on the instruction as simply plugging bigger tanks and not having the advantages pointed out in class via skill specific workshops will just feel like you have no need for them. It will also depend on why you brought the CCR and style of diving you intend to do with the rig.

Prince of darkness Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits's Avatar
    Megalodon

Welcome to CCR diving and the RBW.

Cheers

Al

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Twinsets are great for trips away, so you have a reliable supply of dil/O2. They're also handy if you're doing something shallow with lots of depth changes (eg on caving trips). If you're not doing either of those, then might as well flog them.

Backplate/wing are reused on my unit, yours may be different.

I used to have twin 5's on my kiss for a while, it makes you a bloody heavy/bulky lump (I like to squirrel into tight spaces on wrecks). They were massive overweighting too.... all in all not nice to dive in.

Plus I like my bailout to be totally independent.... but maybe thats just me.

RBW Member Tiptopperoo will become famous soon enough Tiptopperoo will become famous soon enough Tiptopperoo will become famous soon enough Tiptopperoo's Avatar
    jj-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining  View Original Post
    5lt on-boards are my preferred choice as they provide several advantage upto to 60m range for personal bailout, rescue and flushing via the BOV and ADV.
    Hi Matt, the 5l vs 3l question was actually raised by your recent MOD2 student Rob. He spoke very highly of you and suggested I start out with 5L tanks also. Now I'm all about carrying plenty of gas, but part of the CCR train for me involves carrying less weight. I should really check out how much heavier the 5's are than the 3's.

Would a 40cf tank not provide enough personal bailout for all the dives I would be doing with my MOD1 cert?

Dave

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Hi Matt, the 5l vs 3l question was actually raised by your recent MOD2 student Rob. He spoke very highly of you and suggested I start out with 5L tanks also. Now I'm all about carrying plenty of gas, but part of the CCR train for me involves carrying less weight. I should really check out how much heavier the 5's are than the 3's.

Would a 40cf tank not provide enough personal bailout for all the dives I would be doing with my MOD1 cert?

Dave
    Hi Dave, i Paid Rob well

sure the S40 will but what about your buddy? better then you dive 3 on-board and a stage. Something as simple as mouth-bite issue render you no loop or BOV.

jj-CCR

Haha evidently you did!
    3 on board and a stage? So 2 x 3L attached to the unit. Then an S40 with dil plumbed into the BOV, and a completely redundant S40 for bailout?

little man, big dreams tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude's Avatar
    JJ CCR..

Haha evidently you did!
    3 on board and a stage? So 2 x 3L attached to the unit. Then an S40 with dil plumbed into the BOV, and a completely redundant S40 for bailout?

I like to keep my ccr and bailout separate from each other.
    I carry 5 L . they add 3 KGS to the units weight (mostly gas weight) they are EXACTLY the same weight in water empty (-0.5kg) as 3L.
    And as you said, sell the twins, My 5L of O2 I average 10 bar an hour, which works out at 0.83 LPM. so if i want to go way fro the weekend, I get 200 bar of O2 and will easily do 8+ hours diving and return home with ample O2 left. so theres no need for spare O2 cylinders.
    I also made a "cheater" which is a small second stage with a LP inflator adapter on it, that in a pinch I can plug into the O2 Manual add...
    The DIL side, a 5L gives me 3x 50m dives before it gets back to my "deep dive" empty level of 100 bar ( I like ot have 100 bar in here (500L) to give me time to get my bailouts out and sorted, or in the case of a few drills in Thailand thrown at us, what if theres an issue with your bailout CYL ? with that I can easily go back to my BOV while i fix the issue or get another CYL form the team.
    Mat's point of If you give your AL40 to someone, what have you left for yourself? having a larger onboard on your back gives you time to find another cyl or get your ass shallow to use your deco bailout CYL.
    My unit, fully filled and prepped to dive with 5s, weight rods,can light etc set for a drysuit and 200GM undergarment weighs in at 42kg. My twinset with V weight and identical everything else weighed in at 56kg.
    Profile wise, I still wriggle into every nook and cranny, there is no where I used ot go in twin 12s I cant get with my JJ..
    Hope that helps mate.
    You should try to get up here for a dive with us, theres plenty of JJs up here..
    Last edited by tecdiverdude; 10th November 2011 at 18:49. Reason: didnt make sense

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

I have been hanging on to my twins for the "just in case" scenario. With my previous unit I kept having issues with the handsets and if it hadn't been for the twins, my diving would have been significantly reduced. But now.........I might just get rid of them before the hydro is due

jj-CCR

I'm not so concerned about the just in case scenario. I can always borrow a twinset from someone.

Only other point of concern would be getting CDAA certified on the breather. Cos at this point they don't teach any CCR cave. Sounds like a great excuse for another trip back to Thailand though!

Rob: Do you only own one set of 5L tanks? Never had 3L's? Thanks for the weight data, you are certainly not carrying much more for the extra gas really are you!

I'm assuming the cheater is so you can access your onboard O2 in OC mode if needed?

Matt: How many hours do you like people to have under there belt prior to doing cave ccr training? And have you heard anything from the CDAA on crossing over from your course to theirs?

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast