+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Marketing Rebreathers Divers Magazine

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

Marketing Rebreathers Divers Magazine

Has anyone read this article, The interview on Marketing Rebreathers with J.J.

Marketing Rebreathers | Diver Magazine

Thoughts?

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Re: Marketing Rebreathers Divers Magazine

Interesting interview with JJ.

A couple of things that dont get discussed:

1- The role of the instructor and the experience level of the diver. I teach the MKVI to "recreationally inclined" divers, but they are majority regular divers and PADI instructor types. I dont encourage brand new divers to go the CCR route and I can also identify those individuals that will struggle with them.

2- The safety benefit for those divers who regularly dive 180 - 300' ish. FOr me, this is the sweet spot of CCR. Not overly burdened with bailout, no gas switching to do, simple choice of gasses etc. Better than the overweighted overburdened OC guy with steel 130's with 50% and 100% IMO

The next couple of years are going to be very interesting indeed.

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    2- The safety benefit for those divers who regularly dive 180 - 300' ish. FOr me, this is the sweet spot of CCR. Not overly burdened with bailout, no gas switching to do, simple choice of gasses etc. Better than the overweighted overburdened OC guy with steel 130's with 50% and 100% IMO
    Fully agree with you on this!
    That's what we get with most of the deeper wrecks in the South China Sea.
    Guess there is a good reason to limit CCR training to max depth of 100m.

Cheers,
    Davy

RBW Member nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    My opinion differs. When I was diving OC I decided that it was getting too cumbersome to go past 300'- with it's multiple stages, multiple deco gasses, and multiple bottle rotations- so I made the switch to go CC. Ignoring the logistical problems of obtaining volumes of gas in remote locations (which we always managed to work out. Visa is a wonderful tool), the 180-250 was never a problem for me on OC.

If the dives I wanted to do were all in the 180-250' range I would have been happy to just stay with OC. I can't say I ever felt overweighted or overburdened when diving 130s with just a 40 of 50% and a 40 of 100%.

However, I've found that I'm really digging CC. So I suppose my sweet spot for CC has moved to pretty much "any where, any time."

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

Well, I have been using a Kiss since four years ago for recreational diving (usually shore dives, depths limited to 40 meters avg of 15-20 mts , OW, no-deco or little deco, typical dive times from 150 to 240 minutes), and absolutely loving it.

In many cases, diving solo in challenging circumstances (little visibility, currents, places where is easy to get lost..)

The RB allowed me to reach where I could not get before, and really enjoy wildlife. The idea of getting back to OC, with its time/gas/deco limitations gives me chills...

So I do not agree with some of the statements done in the interview.

However, concur with the idea that RBs are not for everyone. Experience in OC, good skills, good training (RB instructors should not give certificates for those not able to cope with theory and practical dives) should be necessary requirements, as well as the RB diver should be diving with his/her gear a minimum a dives yearly to keep proficiency.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

I read the article and posted a reply that will probably get moderated out. In the article, Jablonski discusses Wes Skiles' death and says "Okay, fair enough it may not have been a rebreather failure, per se. But the fact a very experienced individual gets killed during a trivial dive in a way that would not happen while using open circuit, forces us to ask ourselves, does this make any sense? And unfortunately, Wes isn’t the only one."

What an irresponsible statement! We don’t know what happened, but it wouldn’t have happened on open circuit????? How can he possibly be so ignorant and disrespectful? When trash like that comes from the mouth of someone in a position of authority and (I thought) respect, it does a tremendous disservice to the whole industry. If that is "doing it right", I prefer those who do it wrong.

Ken

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Ken

Thanks for making that post... Very well put..

Dive safe.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I read the article and posted a reply that will probably get moderated out. In the article, Jablonski discusses Wes Skiles' death and says "Okay, fair enough it may not have been a rebreather failure, per se. But the fact a very experienced individual gets killed during a trivial dive in a way that would not happen while using open circuit, forces us to ask ourselves, does this make any sense? And unfortunately, Wes isn’t the only one."

What an irresponsible statement! We don’t know what happened, but it wouldn’t have happened on open circuit????? How can he possibly be so ignorant and disrespectful? When trash like that comes from the mouth of someone in a position of authority and (I thought) respect, it does a tremendous disservice to the whole industry. If that is "doing it right", I prefer those who do it wrong.

Ken

Very well put...

Thanks

Mark.

Ken

Thanks for making that post.... Very well put...

M

Ken

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Quote Originally Posted by nadwidny  View Original Post
    My opinion differs. When I was diving OC I decided that it was getting too cumbersome to go past 300'- with it's multiple stages, multiple deco gasses, and multiple bottle rotations- so I made the switch to go CC. Ignoring the logistical problems of obtaining volumes of gas in remote locations (which we always managed to work out. Visa is a wonderful tool), the 180-250 was never a problem for me on OC.

If the dives I wanted to do were all in the 180-250' range I would have been happy to just stay with OC. I can't say I ever felt overweighted or overburdened when diving 130s with just a 40 of 50% and a 40 of 100%.

However, I've found that I'm really digging CC. So I suppose my sweet spot for CC has moved to pretty much "any where, any time."
    Sorry, should have clarified. Im not saying OC is better than CCR sub 300'. Quite the opposite. Id never dive 300' on OC.

What I meant was that you are at that point also hindered to some degree by bailout volume or choose a 'team bailout' scenario.

The shallower depths I mentioned seem to be where there is the most benefit for the largest range of experience levels

It's All Good! RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith is just really nice RSmith's Avatar
    Inspo Evolution

Stay tuned!

I personally dont see anything wrong with rebreathers as a recreational use. I just thought it was funny when JJ said breaking the bank or your 401k. CCR is not that much more than OC doubles ad gear config eapecially if you dive Halcyn such as I did so I know the prices well. I didnt appreciate the fact of the point using the death of Wes. There are far more open circus deaths due to diver error and lack if experience. Technology is moving forward like it or not so is diving. I do agree with his point of training and the importance of understanding rebreathers and the risks. I just felt he kicked the rebreather industry in the nuts!v

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by RSmith  View Original Post
    I personally dont see anything wrong with rebreathers as a recreational use. I just thought it was funny when JJ said breaking the bank or your 401k. CCR is not that much more than OC doubles ad gear config eapecially if you dive Halcyn such as I did so I know the prices well. I didnt appreciate the fact of the point using the death of Wes. There are far more open circus deaths due to diver error and lack if experience. Technology is moving forward like it or not so is diving. I do agree with his point of training and the importance of understanding rebreathers and the risks. I just felt he kicked the rebreather industry in the nuts!v
    Yes, and most of the incidents with rebreathers are also diver error or medical issues. As far as I can see there are not many deaths because of complete equipment failure.

There rests much more on the shoulders of the diver (responsibility) on CCR than on OC of course.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast