+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 360° wreck photo project

Closed Account erikradstrom is an unknown quantity at this point erikradstrom's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

360° wreck photo project

Hi guys!

We just finished a 360° photo shoot at a wreck that sunk in 1856. Eric Nordevall is a fiddle steamer that sunk after she ran aground 4th july 1856, two days later she got loose and sank when they tried to tow her ashore. We have just released a preview in Sweden and I have been too busy to translate the pressrelese in English.
    I hope to do it this soon but until then I can show you guys what we have done. We have further developed the 360 ​​° technology so that we can get as good results under water as on land.

Enjoy!

Eric Nordevall | wec360

Just to give you some more info, the pictures are taken at 45m deapth in pitch black waters. We only have a little window when the sky is clear blue and the sun is in the middle that we can take the photos.

RBW Member Alexx is an unknown quantity at this point Alexx's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: 360° wreck photo project

Quote Originally Posted by erikradstrom  View Original Post
    Hi guys!

We just finished a 360° photo shoot at a wreck that sunk in 1856. Eric Nordevall is a fiddle steamer that sunk after she ran aground 4th july 1856, two days later she got loose and sank when they tried to tow her ashore. We have just released a preview in Sweden and I have been too busy to translate the pressrelese in English.
    I hope to do it this soon but until then I can show you guys what we have done. We have further developed the 360 ​​° technology so that we can get as good results under water as on land.

Enjoy!

Eric Nordevall | wec360

Just to give you some more info, the pictures are taken at 45m deapth in pitch black waters. We only have a little window when the sky is clear blue and the sun is in the middle that we can take the photos.

Nice one....I know how hard is it to make cause I am experimeting with topside 360...
    What program did you use?

Cheers

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx  View Original Post
    Nice one....I know how hard is it to make cause I am experimeting with topside 360...

Cheers

I have been doing lots of topside VR360 stuff.

I start by stitching the images with PTGui
    Than convert them into a VR360 in Pano2VR

I have not tried any underwater, BUT would like to attempt it soon.

here are some examples of topside stuff

Xibalba VR 360º • World of the Dead • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE

Warm Mineral Springs

Closed Account erikradstrom is an unknown quantity at this point erikradstrom's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx  View Original Post

Cheers

I don´t know what the program is called but it is the company I work with that has written it so it´s not available for the public.

I have tested the programs Curt mentioned but I can’t stitch them together, the program can’t handle underwater pictures with bad viz. It´s much harder to do it underwater than on land.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

I don´t know what the program is called but it is the company I work with that has written it so it´s not available for the public.

I have tested the programs Curt mentioned but I can’t stitch them together, the program can’t handle underwater pictures with bad viz. It´s much harder to do it underwater than on land.

The problem I have found if the stitch program will not work is because I am not turning the camera on it's nodal point.

nodal point 
    noun Optics.
    either of two points on the axis of a lens or other optical system, determined by extending an incident oblique ray and the corresponding refracted ray to the axis for the pair of rays that are parallel outside the optical system.

A simple extension plate on the bottom of the housing lining up the nodal point with the axis of the tripod would most likely solve the distortion problem within the software.

I am going to make one for my Aquatica housing and try it?

If it does not work, than I'll move to plan B

Inspiration Classic

We have had no problems with the positioning of the camera, the problem is the software that cant handle the pictures.

We have really bad viz if you compare to what you have, it also gets dark at shallow depths here.

The full production will be released within this month :)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    The problem I have found if the stitch program will not work is because I am not turning the camera on it's nodal point.

nodal point 
    noun Optics.
    either of two points on the axis of a lens or other optical system, determined by extending an incident oblique ray and the corresponding refracted ray to the axis for the pair of rays that are parallel outside the optical system.

A simple extension plate on the bottom of the housing lining up the nodal point with the axis of the tripod would most likely solve the distortion problem within the software.

I am going to make one for my Aquatica housing and try it?

If it does not work, than I'll move to plan B
    Last edited by erikradstrom; 31st October 2011 at 10:25.

Inspiration Classic

Adapted for iphone 4 and ipad2

If you own an ipad 2 or iphone 4, visit the link below from you device. When the picture has loaded you can find a drop list down in the right corner. Change that one to motioncotrol and you can use your iphone or ipad as a window to the wreck!
    http://wec360.se/public_server/eric_nordevall/utkast/embed.html

Inspiration Classic

It is finally out! We are planning to add more to the site in the future. Our vision is to create a online library collection all the information we can get a hold of and publish it online.
    At the moment we are scanning 60 articles from 1980-90 when they found the wreck.

Enjoy :)

Eric Nordevall

RBW Key Holder
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Looks cool

It is finally out! We are planning to add more to the site in the future. Our vision is to create a online library collection all the information we can get a hold of and publish it online.
    At the moment we are scanning 60 articles from 1980-90 when they found the wreck.

Enjoy :)

Eric Nordevall

RBW Member Sharkdiver1973 is an unknown quantity at this point Sharkdiver1973's Avatar

Hi,

Can you tell me what software do you use to do this?

Best regards,
    Carlos