+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2011 CCD Truk Lagoon Trip Report

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

2011 CCD Truk Lagoon Trip Report

If there is one thing that really gets me excited is when I start packing my dive gear and camera equipment for the trip to Truk Lagoon and this year was no exception. Somehow no matter how hard I try, I always seem to end up with nearly 100kgs of checked and carry baggage with 3 big suitcases filled with rebreather and dive gear and roller bag with my camera housing and strobes and a backpack with the Meg head, camera and lenses, a few chargers and a laptop.

2011_10_07_1914S.jpg

In past years Continental Airlines have had what I considered very reasonable checked baggage charges.......This year it changed and although the charges werenít crippling they were none the less a lot higher than previous years. We checked the first bag FREE providing it didnít exceed 23kgs, if it had exceeded 23kgs but was less than 32kgs an additional excess baggage charge of $100.00us would have applied for each bag over weight. A charge for the second checked bag was $40.00us although some of the group was charged $70.00us, due to a price change which was not listed online, later those who were charged $70.00us were assured they would have their Credit Cards credited the $30.00us over charged. The big hit was if you took a third checked bag there was a $200.00us charge so I ended up paying an additional $240.00us in baggage charges. We were all charged a similar amount for the return trip so be aware of the charges before you depart as they seem to change them at will and donít honor the charges which were present at the time of the booking.

We were asked if we had any tanks and a rebreather and we all said no and it was left at that. In past years they even had us open our bags to check for themselves and then charged us extra. None of us were asked about our carry bags but we had staged them at the opposite end of the terminal with one of the group to watch over them whilst we checked in. This was something I learnt some time back and has always worked for me!!

2011_10_07_1915S.jpg

All of the group met up and departed from Cairns with the exception of Thomas who had traveled down from Brunei and we met up with him at Guam during the short stop over whilst waiting for the connecting flight to Truk. If youíre not a US citizen and will be landing on US soil, which Guam is, you will need to apply and have an approved ESTA before travelling. They are now charging $14.00us and will remain current for 2 years.

After a controlled crash onto the runway at Truk which we were all surprised the wheels hadnít fallen off, we were very pleased to find everyoneís luggage had arrived with us on the same flight. Last year we had 2 of our group wait days for their missing bags to arrive!!

The Blue Lagoon Courtesy Bus was waiting for us outside the terminal and before we know it, we were dropped off at Reception and our dive gear and bags were taken to the dive shop and our rooms for us. After settling in we went down to the dive shop and set up our equipment and bailout tanks for a shallow check out dive later that afternoon. From then on it was a routine of wake up and eat, be on the boat at 9.00am for a deep morning dive, lunch, back on the boat at 2.00pm for the afternoon shallower dive, clean the gear and meet at the bar for a few refreshments, dinner at the restaurant and then sleep. This was the routine for the next 8 days until the final dive day only one dive in the morning before a BBQ lunch on a beautiful, tiny, isolated Island and back to wash and hang the gear to dry for the trip home the following afternoon.

2011_10_07_1981S.jpg

That afternoon after lunch, we decided to book a guided tour and drove all around the Island with the highlight being the big gun sitting inside a cave carved into the side of the hill by the Islanders under the Japanese during WWII. Itís very impressive and would have been a massive task not only to tunnel into the hillside and out the other but to get the gun there also!!

2011_10_12_2375S.jpg

The day we arrived at Truk, it was sunny, hot and humid and we all felt the effects of it, none more so than myself, sitting in my dry suit waiting for the boat to leave for the next dive. Once underway there was a cool and very welcome breeze. The following few days there were a few intermittent showers and occasionally overcast which dropped the temperatures to a much more comfortable level and we were fortunate to have the cool weather remain that way until we left. The water was a constant 30*C and the visibility varied from day to day and the locations but it was always over 25m and some dives over 40m. We all got some great pics both inside and outside the wrecks.

2011_10_07_1899S.jpg

Each evening we flicked through the pages of wrecks until we decided on the wrecks we would dive the following day. Everyone got to dive the wrecks they planned to and we revisited the ones we thought needed further investigating. The only wreck we missed was the Destroyer Oite, leaving Estos and Mack our guide and boat driver disappointed they werenít able to find it for us. The Oite is a very long way out at the edge of the Lagoon and there are very few landmarks to go by. They both did a great job trying to find it but ultimately we had to make a decision to call the dive and head back so we could do 2 dives that afternoon. One on the Shinkoku Maru and later the Betty Bomber and everyone had another great day.

2011_10_06_1831S.jpg

I have now run 3 trips to the Lagoon and one thing I have noted is every time I return nearly all the wrecks have more parts caving in and collapsing. Some are now getting dangerous to penetrate certain areas and others the entry to the engine rooms have totally collapsed and are no longer accessible. Iíd say in the next 8 to 10 years the majority of the wrecks there will be collapsed so if Truk Lagoon is on your list of dive locations to do, make sure you donít leave it too late before you head over.

2010_10_10_1541S.jpg

Iíd like to thank everyone for joining to trip this year, I really enjoyed your company and everyone had a fantastic time. Already we have some of them booked to go again next year, 2012 we will be running 2 trips arriving in mid June and the second in early October. I hope to dive with you there.

Trip link here http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=40287

Regards,

Lance

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Re: 2011 CCD Truk Lagoon Trip Report

Fantastic shots, fantastic place. Im sooooo jealous :)

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Great pictures!! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Nice pics Lance! I was just there in May with my wife, and noticed some of the same decline in the condition of the wrecks. This was the 3rd time I have been there in the past 12 years, and the decline of the wrecks is definitely noticeable.

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

How come my photos didn't turn out like yours? LOL!

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by osiris  View Original Post
    How come my photos didn't turn out like yours? LOL!
    I've had a lot more practice with Photoshop than you have ;)

Regards,

Lance

+ Reply to Thread