+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Switch off new cerification announcements?

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Switch off new cerification announcements?

Is there an option that switches off announcements from instructors over who they have newly certified?

The "rebreather forum only" option under "new posts" doesn't do it as they are done in the relevant unit's section.

I'm sure they are nice and affirming for the student and great advertising for the instructor but I'm not really that interested and rebreather diving stopped being minority enough years ago that a new cert was unusual. I know I might sound like a miserable twat but do we really need it in the main body of RBW? I only log on maybe once a day and it seems like whenever I do new posts I just end up with a list of instructor activity.

Any chance of a separate forum or doing it in surface interval so it doesn't appear in the new posts list?

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Re: Switch off new cerification announcements?

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    I know I might sound like a miserable twat but do we really need it in the main body of RBW?
    It's just advertising and I'm just thankful I've never used an instructor who did it.

Plays with High Voltage trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00's Avatar
    KISS classic

Hmm.....I will go against the current grain of this thread and disagree.

Personally I dont see anything wrong with posting up a new cert. It could be construed as an advertisement if one really wants to view it in that light. I personally see it as an introduction of a new CCR diver to the forum. For many new CCR divers, such as myself, it was a nice welcome and an ice breaker. It took a considerable investment of time and money to get to that point. Even though I thouroughly enjoyed all the experiences and diving, and invested the funds very wilingly, It was sure nice to get an attaboy.

I hope I never get to the point where I am unable to look back and remember the excitement and how proud I was when I got my first rebreather and certification. Never to take away from the pioneers who broke ground while there were relatively few civilian rebreather divers, but in all reality, there still are relatively few civilian rebreather divers.

As was pointed out in other posts on this board, more quality certified CCR divers means a stronger and healthier sport. This promotes a healthier marketplace which in turn keeps manufacturers afloat and leads to the development and refinement of CCR products. It leads to more innovative enthusiasts as well as additional expertise in the cause of safety. The increase in CCR divers also gives us a stronger voice when it comes to legislation that could effect our sport.

I really dont see a flood of new posts everyday or the occasional New Cert post being even a daily if not weekly occurance. I can't help but laugh when thought is given to pushing off the new CCR divers, but an ongoing caption contest is probably one of the most frequently posted items here. I am not snubbing the caption contest by any means because I too enjoy it, but just putting things in perspective. If we push the new cert attaboys off the main board, what else do we push off? The caption contest? the marketplace?...etc?

Might want to consider supporting the new members, because you never know what contributions they may eventually make to our sport.

Cheers, Walt

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trident00  View Original Post
    I really dont see a flood of new posts everyday or the occasional New Cert post being even a daily if not weekly occurance. I can't help but laugh when thought is given to pushing off the new CCR divers, but an ongoing caption contest is probably one of the most frequently posted items here. I am not snubbing the caption contest by any means because I too enjoy it, but just putting things in perspective. If we push the new cert attaboys off the main board, what else do we push off? The caption contest? the marketplace?...etc?

Might want to consider supporting the new members, because you never know what contributions they may eventually make to our sport.

Cheers, Walt
    Don't get me wrong, it's by no way a snub of new divers, the more new blood the better. But a. most new divers on here get welcomed through doing an intro and b. it seems to be only a handful on instructors with the vast majority not feeling the need to publicise every cert they complete. I'd also add a tentative c. rebreather diving has enough momentum at this stage of the game.

I generally read the new intros, I never read the new cert announcements as they are, to me, just a self-serving tool for instructors so I'd prefer being able to switch them off. I don't read the caption contest and very rarely any of the non-diving threads so seeing their demise would be no loss to me but at least doing rebreather forums only on new posts gets rid them. I can't do that for these.

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trident00  View Original Post
    Personally I dont see anything wrong with posting up a new cert.
    There is nothing wrong with posting up a new cert for all the reasons you give but some of us approach this forum through a strict set of group filter because there is already too much noise and this bypasses our protection.

I don't need introducing to somebody to hear their advice or to try and answer their questions. I'm a pretty inclusive type of person. However, like many on the web, I have over the years developed an insane, pathological hatred of spam. If it even looks like somebody trying to sneak in an unearned product placement I'm groping wildly for the berserker axe.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    Is there an option that switches off announcements from instructors over who they have newly certified?
    what? Dont you like the "Congrats to 4 new XYZ divers!" threads? Even when accompanied by stacks of photos of said course including a group shot of 50 divers all with the XYZ unit, 45 of which werent even in the class?

Dont you enjoy the subsequent toadying from other smug owners (usually from Singapore or somewhere) quick to jump in and point out that only an idiot would consider any other machine and congratulating the new divers on their common sense?

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

I like to find out who the new RB divers are around my area. Certainly never considered it a specific instructor endorsement or RB model endorsement.

Dwayne

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

This is going to be good. Chris has thrown some more fuel on it already, I see.
    Last edited by Jantje; 16th October 2011 at 18:50.

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

As my wife always said "if you don't like the taste of it don't eat it!!!"
    Gabe

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    what? Dont you like the "Congrats to 4 new XYZ divers!" threads? Even when accompanied by stacks of photos of said course including a group shot of 50 divers all with the XYZ unit, 45 of which werent even in the class?

Dont you enjoy the subsequent toadying from other smug owners (usually from Singapore or somewhere) quick to jump in and point out that only an idiot would consider any other machine and congratulating the new divers on their common sense?

LMAO! I just loved the "toadying" bit - so true!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast