+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Truk Lagoon CCR Expeditions June & October

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

2012 Truk Lagoon CCR Expeditions June & October

I have traveled extensively throughout the Asia Pacific region diving known shipwrecks and searching for previously undiscovered wrecks and every year I get excited when I pack my dive gear and think of taking another group of divers to Truk Lagoon to dive the largest concentration of WWII wrecks anywhere in the world.

Truk Lagoon was the largest Japanese staging ground and repair facility outside of Japan during the second world war and was considered the Japanese equivalent to Pearl Harbor. It was home to fleets of warships and fleet auxiliaries and held over 40,000 troops. The Battle of Midway was staged from Truk Lagoon and it was considered a prime target by US Forces. Early in the morning of February 17, 1944 Operation Hailstorm set off from Fleet Carriers in the Marshall Islands and over the course of the next three days bombarded anything of strategic value at Truk Lagoon sending over 70 ships and 275 aircraft to their watery graves at the bottom of the Lagoon.

2011_10_10_2249S.jpg

Over the past 2 years I have organized a trip in October , mostly due to the weather and that Truk Lagoon is in their ďSlack SeasonĒ although that is changing. They are growing increasingly busy as travelling there is now relatively easy compared to years bygone. Continental Airlines are now flying regular flights to Truk from either Guam or Hawaii depending on which side of the globe youíre traveling from.

The trip starts when we meet up in Cairns, Australia and we fly to Guam. There we meet up with other group members who have flown in to meet us from all over the globe for the one and a half hour flight to Truk. Once on the Island we are taken by courtesy bus to the Blue Lagoon Resort which will be our Land Base and Home for the next 10 days. After checking in and dropping our luggage in our airconditioned twin share rooms, we head to the Dive Shop to set up our gear and ready ourselves for a dive later that afternoon.

IMG_2118S.jpg

Then itís back to clean up and head to the bar for a few drinks and afterwards, the restaurant for dinner. For the next 8 days we will set out to dive a new wreck each morning at 9.00am and again at 2.00pm in the afternoon. So it becomes a routine of eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, sleep each day until the 9th and last day when we dive our 18th and last dive before spending the last 24hrs off gassing in preparation for our return flights the following afternoon. The routine is easy and relaxed and we make full advantage of our week and a half holiday.

IMG_2121S.jpg

The wrecks are as diverse as the different types of wrecks with depths starting at just 5m and varying all the way down to the deepest at around 72m. There are Destroyers, a Submarine, Freighters, Combination Passenger Freighters, Tankers, a Bomber, two Sea Planes, Fighters and much, much, more. Nearly all the ships were loaded with war cargo consisting of airfield construction materials and machinery, ammunition, torpedoes, depth charges, aircraft heavy artillery guns and so much more. Many of the shallower wrecks are covered in beautifully coloured corals and a multitude of small, large fish and sharks transforming them from what once was a mighty ship to what now more closely resembles a coral reef. There is something here for everyone.

2011_10_10_2284S.jpg

Over the past 3 trips to the Lagoon I have seen the rapid deterioration of the wrecks with many starting to collapse in on themselves making it hazardous to penetrate and in some cases impossible. It wonít be too long before these magnificent wrecks will be reduced to a pile of rusting plates sitting in a heap on the bottom of the Lagoon so donít put it off to long before you head over.

2010_10_10_1549S.jpg

Specializing in catering for rebreather divers, we have Sorb, Trimix, Nitrox, Boosted O2 and tanks available. There are twinsets and single tanks available for OC divers along with a good selection of bailout tanks. The Blue Lagoon Dive shop has set aside a dedicated Rebreather Room with extra benches and loads of room specifically for rebreather use.

2012 we will be organizing 2 trips to Truk Lagoon, the first will arrive June 18th for 10 days and 18 dives departing the Lagoon on June 28th.

The second trip will arrive October 01st for 10 days and 18 dives departing October 11th

Prices are yet to be confirmed and I am presently in negotiations and hope to have it finalized shortly.

There are limited spaces available so donít be disappointed and miss out....I am taking bookings now so get a group together or put your name down.

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Re: 2012 Truk Lagoon CCR Expeditions June & October

Hi Lance,
    Thanks for posting a trip report. Do you have any more photos? Also in a previous post you mentioned that the new Continental merger was less than pleasant, can you explain your experience and recommendations for future travel.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar

I have posted the 2011 CCD Truk Lagoon Trip Report along with more pics here http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=40299

Regards,

Lance

Johnny Lambert dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur will become famous soon enough dodelineur's Avatar
    Mini meg

Inspiration

Hi all

I made a trip to Truk last may and could confirm that even if I had the chance to dive the Britannic in 08', Truk is the most amazing place I have ever seen for wrecks. I can't wait to go back to this place, and the trips organized by Lance look like a wonderful option in this place where there is almost no logistic for CCR.

just my 2 cents

Cheers

RBW Member Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen's Avatar

Very VERY nice Lance.....I'm jealous!

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Bowen  View Original Post
    Very VERY nice Lance.....I'm jealous!

I'm jealous too, and I was there. sigh.

RBW Member thezipp is an unknown quantity at this point thezipp's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Evolution, rEvo III Ti st.

Just returned to New Jersy this morning from Truk. Had a great time. The diving is excellent. We stayed on board the Odyssey. Its a great boat. We had 8 CC divers and 7 OC divers. The boat crew handled everthing well. As for traveling with the rebreathers there were a few minor issues. My rebreather was checked in. So I had a 3rd bag that was 69 lbs. Continental charge me $200 for the 3rd bag and another $200 for being over 50 lbs. This charged applied all the way to Truk, whick I failed to ask how far it applied, as we were staying in Guam overnight. So I thought I might be charged again when checking in for the Guam to Truk flight. We went through Nirita, Japan from Newark, then to Guam. Then Truk. In Guam we repacked my bags and another of the group carried my rebreather 3 L steel bottles in his carry on bag, along with his 2 aluminum bottles for his rebreather. We never had any problems with carring on the empty bottles without the valves. Security would sometimes do a wipe test and do a second x-ray. But as far as carrying them on, it was no issue. Some of the group went out a few days early. In Nirita he had an issue with carrying his rebreather on. They would not let him carry on the "bomb looking thingey". So he had to check it in. He almost missed the connecting flight. The retrun flights were through Honolulu. No issues with carrying on the rebreathers. We left Truk on the 2:30 AM flight. They did not charge me for a 3rd bag going home. Plus did not seem to be to concerned about how muck the bags weighed. All in all had a great time and can't wait to return.
    JZ

Truk Lagoon is a diver's paradise.....There is something there for everyone. I can remember when I was a boy reading articles and looking at amazing photos of ships laden with war cargo and the remains of their crews quietly resting on the bottom of the Lagoon. At times I find it hard to believe I am actually there seeing for myself the same things I read about so many years ago.

The accommodation at the Blue Lagoon Resort is comfortable, the food is great with plenty of variety and the people as so friendly you almost feel like one of the family. Nearly every wreck is within an easy 25 minute boat ride from the Dive Shop so you get to spend the majority of your time on land in a quiet, and stable location.

Today we are fortunate enough to have regular flights to Truk and it is available to everyone who wants to go there and see it for themselves. Continental Airlines have the monopoly with flights to Truk but if you check their baggage policy online it is very similar to what they have for other destinations. No one really likes to pay any more than they have to but compared to other airlines and destinations I think it is still good value.

Diving Truk on a rebreather is just awesome with extended run times and the freedom only found when diving on one. Our trips take the hassle out of rebreather diving at Truk so all you have to do is take time off to go there and see for yourself!!

I have finalized the pricing for next years trips and am pleased to say itís very close to the price this year.

Ex Cairns $2850.00us

Ex Guam $2590.00us

Join in Truk $1920.00us

The trip will include the following
    • Airfares either from Cairns or Guam and return or join us at Truk and make your own travel arrangements
    • Transfers from Truk airport to and from the resort
    • Twin Share Accommodation
    • 18 dives
    • Bailout tanks
    • 1 Air fill/dive
    • Dive permit valid for 1 year
    Additional costs
    • Meals
    • Drinks
    • Oxygen
    • Sorb
    • Trimix
    • Any additional tanks or dive equipment
    Places for both trips are limited and are filling quickly.

Regards,

Lance

There are still a few places available for both trips if anyone is looking to dive some of the most impressive WWII wrecks anywhere.

We have sorb, trimix, 200bar O2, bailout tanks and some rebreather tanks available so all you need do is pack your gear and jump on the plane, go diving and leave the rest up to us.

It just doesn't get any better than this.......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast