+ Reply to Thread

Thread: B17 Flying Fortress

RBW Member Alexx is an unknown quantity at this point Alexx's Avatar
    Megalodon

B17 Flying Fortress

Hello all, here is nice plane sunk in Adriatic sea...

B17 Flying fortress
    Depth 75m
    f 4.0
    ISO 640
    Shutter 1/50
    Canon 7D + tokina 10-17

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Re: B17 Flying Fortress

Nice !!!! My Dad was a belly ballturret gunner in WWll on a B17

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Wow. Amazing to see that much aluminum left after so many years in salt water. Must be really fragile by now.

My uncle was a waist gunner in a B 17, shot down over Belgium a few days before D-Day. He lived thru it but broke both legs when landing because his unlaced boots came off from the opening shock of the parachute!

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

Been on this Island 6 years in a row for a week (late spring) and dived at the B17 5 times with Manta Diving.
    I love this Island and the wrecks around.
    The name Vis clearly must stand for "visibility", the vis was always awesome.
    If anyone here plans to dive around Vis next year spring time please let me know, I would like to join.

Short additional info about the sunken B17:
    It was hit by some bullets and did not make it to the small military airport at the Island Vis. The crew survived the watering and nobody drowned unfortunately one crew member died later on (donīt know exactly, but heard the reason was that he was hit by a bullet during the airfight).

Scotty

PS: Isnīt the max depth at the B17 71 meters?

Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by com1  View Original Post
    Been on this Island 6 years in a row for a week (late spring) and dived at the B17 5 times with Manta Diving.
    I love this Island and the wrecks around.
    The name Vis clearly must stand for "visibility", the vis was always awesome.
    If anyone here plans to dive around Vis next year spring time please let me know, I would like to join.

Short additional info about the sunken B17:
    It was hit by some bullets and did not make it to the small military airport at the Island Vis. The crew survived the watering and nobody drowned unfortunately one crew member died later on (donīt know exactly, but heard the reason was that he was hit by a bullet during the airfight).

Scotty

PS: Isnīt the max depth at the B17 71 meters?

Nope, under the left wing I managed to find 74.3:)

As for the gunner, yes he was hit during the fight and past away just before they landed the plane in the sea...
    I bet you didn`t know that they found another plane just 300 meters away. It is B24 Tulsamerica:) It is not open for diving yet but it will be next summer I think, but it isn`t preserved not even close like B17!

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

U mean the B24 liberator laying upside down at 42m? If yes it is still in a pretty good condition, dived it last year (it is also my profile picture).

Cheers Scotty

Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by com1  View Original Post
    U mean the B24 liberator laying upside down at 42m? If yes it is still in a pretty good condition, dived it last year (it is also my profile picture).

Cheers Scotty

That is the one:)

RBW Member gsk3 is on a distinguished road gsk3 is on a distinguished road gsk3's Avatar

Nice planewreck!

Megalodon

Little history I forgot to add:

This plane landed in small airforce base in Italy on 3. november 1944. On 5th november he went on his first mission with his pilot Irving G. Emmerson and 2 more crew members. Their mission was railroad section i Vienna but Vienna was covered in fod so they turned the planes for Maribor/Slovenia. They were ambushed with AA guns and the plane was damaged during flight and the copilot was badly injured in the head (later he died). Engine no3 was hit and died! This particular B17 changed their flight route and went south. Since they lost height, Italy was not an option for the landing, because they needed to go over alps, so the have chosen secret landing site in island Vis! During their flight engine no1 dies. They could not land on the site, instead the went for the sea. They had luck and nobody was injured in landing. Plane goes down and crew was rescued by the fisherman boat and British patrol boat. In 2003. pilot Irving G. Emmerson (84) and shooter Merrle C. Sieling (82) came back to Vis because B17 documentary was filmed about they`re crash.

+ Reply to Thread