+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1" SS spacer for TOS and BM CL's

RBW Member Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme

Dolphin

1" SS spacer for TOS and BM CL's

To solve the problem of a lack of space between the backplate and wings and CL's, a 1" spacer, made out of SS, can be placed between the wings and backplate, giving the TOS or BM CL's room to breathe. I used Tecdivetools.com to construct my spacer, on the spot in Union, NJ. Enrique Alvarez is also a Hammerhead eCCR owner, and designed a Tiantium stand for the same over a year ago, also mentioned in this forum. I have attached photos of the teardown. Note that the original Juergensen Marine hardware on the bracket had to be replaced, and DES Corp tapped out the bracket to accept the 3/8" harware, the bolts are now 2 3/8" long, repalcing the 8mm hardware. The 1" x 13" x 3" Stainless Steel spacer weighs 12 lb, eliminating much lead from the waist and CL's.
    Attached Images

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Re: 1" SS spacer for TOS and BM CL's

Nice, Dan. Thanks for the pixs.
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

RBW Member Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright has a spectacular aura about Dan Wright's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme

Dolphin

I should mention that Mark Nix turned me onto the 1" spacer, as he had on his Exreme rig with BL CL's. Owen Bermann also has a 1" spacer, but made out of teflon. Jon Taylor also assisted in the thought process over at Enrique's shop, he is a proud owner of an Extreme HH as well. This thread is just a guide to help those interested in that direction, not by any means a rule. -Dan

Hammerhead Extreme

Dolphin

Splash test dummy: yesterday I took a ride on the "Gypsy Blood" dive boat to the wreck of the "Great Isaac", off of NJ, to road test, so to speak, the refinements I have made to the rig. Not pictured, but I drilled holes lower on the backplate near center, as attachment points for the 1" webbing and fastex buckles of the TOS CL's. I did two dives, one for 95 minutes, the second for 85 minutes. With the addition of the 12 lbs for the 1"'SS spacer, I eliminated all lead in the CL's and tank weights on top. I still wore 6 lbs of lead on a weightbelt, as I was warmly insulated in my DUI CLX 350. Trim was very good just as it was, I could lose the lead on the waist as well. Didn't want to take a chance and be positive, as I had my hands full with camera as well. WOB is better with the spacer, tho getting to the ADV shutoff switch is a pain with the "T" being right next to the shutoff. With heavy gloves, not easy to grasp immediately, as we would all like to. As for the other new thing... The Hammerhead Rev D electronics and DIVA, it performed flawlessly. The DIVA is bright and I think less obtrusive than the older Rev C style. The bracket also works better in holding position than before. I have deco on right and left handsets, and both match up precisely while I completed my decompression on both dives. With no operations manual, one has some "on the job" training here. Fairly intuitive anyway, easier to read and step thru the menus faster than in Rev C.
    I do miss my titanium handle on my "classic" head, and the little brackets for clips on the C handsets, Techdivetools.com has a new design for the Extreme head's titanium handle, just have to get down to the shop.
    Never ending improvements, next a helmet for excavation and dredgework of shipwrecks off of NJ/NY. While the Extreme can take a sledgehammer, my neoprene clad noggin can't!
    Dive safe out there!
    -Dan
    Last edited by Dan Wright; 10th October 2011 at 23:21. Reason: Typo

+ Reply to Thread