+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One Good Reason To Insure Any Shipment!!!!

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

One Good Reason To Insure Any Shipment!!!!

Because, if I had not, it would have been quite expensive for me!!!

A while back I had sold my rebreather and the buyer needed me to ship it to him. Part of the sale agreement was that the buyer is paying for shipment and insurance. The unit was going to be shipped via UPS. And here is were the FIRST LESSON began:

1. when shipping with UPS, if you pack the item, the insurance will only cover for lost goods and NOT damaged.
    2. if UPS packs it, then the item is covered for lost and damaged.

Since I could not in good conscience trust a UPS store to pack the item safely, I took some extra precautions. The gauges and handsets were wrapped in bubble wrap and some of the wires were reinforced, as well. I insisted that the strongest box available was being used. That was their "dish box" with FRAGILE stenciled all over it.

LESSON 2: Take a picture of all the items to be included in the box in addition to having a packing list for inventory! This will help identifying which items were lost.

I also had placed individual items in ziplock bags, in case they leave it in the rain or something spills. The box was also filled with plenty of "peanuts" (styrofoam) and sent off.

The buyer and myself are following the progress online via the tracking number. On the day of delivery I get the horrible news that the box had been badly damaged and the unit had taken a hit. Items were missing...... See the pictures!!

As the shipper, I had to file the claim. The buyer had no recourse with UPS.

As we were both waiting for the wheels to turn in order to process the claim, I get a phone call from a lady in Minnesota. She informs me that she found a ziplock bag with a manual and service receipts in her UPS box (which had also been damaged). She was able to call me, because my phone number was on the service receipt. Not only did she sent me the ziplock bag, but she was also available to UPS helping getting the claim settled.

At the end, all was well. UPS paid for replacement of lost goods and the rest of the items were not damaged. I believe that had the documentation been less than thorough, it might have been a bit more difficult.

I hope this will be helpful to you!
    Attached Images

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on 'til morning...
    Megalodon

Re: One Good Reason To Insure Any Shipment!!!!

I'd hate to see the dishes and other glassware that are shipped in those boxes when they get delivered....

Good lessons. Thanks for sharing!

Dive safe,

Celia

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

I'd say that the box doesn't look very sturdy... It should be double wall corrugated with interior supports to help keep the carton stiff....

Interesting note about the damage.... According to UPS Web Site the Insurance covers loss or damage... They have plenty of outs, as a third party determines
    if the carton and packaging meets a set standard. That stuff has to be argued and persistence usually pays off.... You can't just take no for an answer... They try to wear you down, as I'm sure the third party inspectors get paid a lot more for denying claims....

Richie

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

As a manufacturer I ship goods several times a day, my rules of thumb for boxes are as follows-
    1. One layer of box/cardboard for upto 10kilos, 2 layers for upto 20kg, then subdivide into smaller boxes or use a wooden or plastic dive crate.

2. Wrap the box in sufficent tape in all directions so no gap between tap is bigger than things in the box! (A mile of tape would have held the box shown together in all likelyhood)

3. Any small loose items should be taped to larger objects or bagged together to make them bigger.

4. Ditto the OP's point about photos and courier packing and insurance.

Frankly for a rebreather I would specifiy a plastic dive crate as minimum shipping container with cardboard and peanuts inside.

PS- Anything "heavy" (over 12kg legally in UK) consider putting handles on the box or straps, I know it doesn't sound heavy but you have to account for every moron in the shipping chain- even if its the end customer dropping it walking back into their property before unboxing!

Thanks for all the good tips!! One more: if UPS dealer tells you that "his/her" method of packing is adequate, question it.

Originally, they had chosen a very flimsy box.

I agree, tape the living s... out of it. It might get crushed, but items should not fall from gaping holes.

Double boxing!!!! Another great one. I would also put a heavy plastic liner in just in case of exposure to rain/snow/leaks from other boxes.

In UPS's defense, I never had any problems with them up until now. Something just happened at their distribution plant. Still, sure am glad we had it insured.

Claudia

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Thanks for all the info. It shouldn't have happened.

But in my opinion, UPS is always a last resort. I have found for small packages, USPS is the cheapest and doesn't give you a hard time about insured claims. Their down side is that their tracking is terrible and sometimes doesn't even show up in their system until after the package is delivered.

For large packages, FedEx Ground is always the cheapest. And I have only had one claim to make with FedEx. It wasn't as smooth as USPS, but way better than the times I have had to deal with UPS.

When I am the purchaser of goods, I always try to specify a shipper other than UPS. For some reason companies love to use UPS. Buy a $10 item and pay $15 shipping because the seller wants to have tracking. FedEx Ground is almost always cheaper and better than UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Thanks for all the info. It shouldn't have happened.

But in my opinion, UPS is always a last resort. I have found for small packages, USPS is the cheapest and doesn't give you a hard time about insured claims. Their down side is that their tracking is terrible and sometimes doesn't even show up in their system until after the package is delivered.

For large packages, FedEx Ground is always the cheapest. And I have only had one claim to make with FedEx. It wasn't as smooth as USPS, but way better than the times I have had to deal with UPS.

When I am the purchaser of goods, I always try to specify a shipper other than UPS. For some reason companies love to use UPS. Buy a $10 item and pay $15 shipping because the seller wants to have tracking. FedEx Ground is almost always cheaper and better than UPS.
    Ahh, yeah......tracking! I also learned that if you ship internationally (say to Canada), you cannot track USPS.

The unit was shipped to an address in the US but the buyer brought it over the border! That stirred up a bunch of trouble with UPS, as well. If you receive a damaged box, it needs to stay State-side or else things get more complicated! Take pictures and statements from people who have accepted the delivery (UPS Mailbox services, etc.).

Chris Miller undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o's Avatar
    Dolphin (Atlantis)

IDA-71

Another vote for anything but UPS - my biggest beef with them is they charge ridiculous brokerage fees to Canada. UPSs scam is that they make it easy for the shipper and have embedded themselves into places like eBay. Their lowest service looks cheaper than USPS sometimes but for international they screw the end customer. They charge a paperwork fee then charge a handling fee based on the price of the item. So they don't have to do anymore work but they get paid a lot more if the item is expensive! So I can see why the receiver chose to take it across the border themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by undrh2o  View Original Post
    Another vote for anything but UPS - my biggest beef with them is they charge ridiculous brokerage fees to Canada. UPSs scam is that they make it easy for the shipper and have embedded themselves into places like eBay. Their lowest service looks cheaper than USPS sometimes but for international they screw the end customer. They charge a paperwork fee then charge a handling fee based on the price of the item. So they don't have to do anymore work but they get paid a lot more if the item is expensive! So I can see why the receiver chose to take it across the border themselves.
    Ahh, another piece of useful info. Thanks!!!

RBW Member aaen will become famous soon enough aaen will become famous soon enough aaen will become famous soon enough aaen will become famous soon enough aaen's Avatar
    Copis MEG

rEvo

Actually that is not true about tracking in Canada with USPS. The tracking number is generally in this format CV xxx xxx xxx US, this is able to be tracked on both sides either with USPS or Canada Post. However Canada Post seems to be freaking terrible at updating there tracking information and relaying it to USPS, which I am currently finding out. First problem I have had with them. Just bought a new dry suit and they can't seem to tell me where my package is after it left Vancouver on the 13th(its maybe 2 hours from Nanaimo) However they can tell me it is not suppose to be delivered until the 24th of October, which is bs as I paid for priority shipping(6-10 days) and it usually comes sooner. Sorry bit of a rant there, didn't mean to high jack.

Anyways if tracking info is what you want when shipped on the canada side with USPS then go to Canada post and input the tracking number.

On the note with using UPS, yes you can and will pay extravagant fee's getting an item shipped over. I have in the past refused to accept packages as the customs/Brokerage fee(they walk from one counter to the next if that) are sometimes 50% of the item cost, I have ordered 200 dollar items and been hit up with 120 dollar custom fee's, haha. No thanks that is more then it costs to buy in Canada at times. I regularly tell the company to ship it through USPS and have it insured.

Steve
    Last edited by aaen; 17th October 2011 at 20:44. Reason: added in more text and spelling error

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast