Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: rEvo or JJ?

Serious Swagelok Addict jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Satori PSCR

rEvo or JJ?

Thinking of going to CCR but unsure which of these two would be the best choice.

Most of the diving I do is in the 45 to 70m range and I generally limit my total run time to 90 minutes. Down the track, with time and experiences I'd like to be able to take the unit to 130m as there is a wreck that I've wanted to dive for years that CCR seems to be the most sensible option for.

Important things to consider are WOB, simplicity, redundancy and one's ability to easily self maintain a unit. So far the JJ seems to be ticking more boxes but I'd appreciate members advice on the best unit for my needs.

Both units have service centres in Australia, so parts and support are not such an issue.

I'm not wanting to start a flame war but the real question I want to know is why NOT the JJ and why NOT the rEvo. At this stage, these are the only two units I'm considering.

Also interested in the cells for each, how readily available they are, what make/model number they are etc. I don't want to be caught like some of the other users have been with Teledyne.

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

Re: rEvo or JJ?

Mercedes vs Audi?
    Blond vs brunette?
    Pizza vs pasta?

Get a try dive on both and choose what you liked best.

Serious Swagelok Addict jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Satori PSCR

Thanks, I will do that, but I was wanting a little more info from members. Given that I'm not certified on either unit, a try a dive would be limited to a 20 minute session in a local swimming pool and I just don't think that is enough of an experience to make an informed decision on a unit.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

If it was me, I would go 100% rEvo.......

RBW Member abohmann is an unknown quantity at this point abohmann's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    If it was me, I would go 100% rEvo.......
    If I was living in the US - propably yes. But living in Oz or Europe...

Here's my story:
    I finally decided for a JJ but here are some of my thoughts while I still was evaluating JJ vs. rEvo about 20 months ago:

Contra rEvo:
    -no real flood recovery
    -position of dil & O2 add buttons
    -no BOV
    -no stand
    -ADV looks more like a prototype than a finished component
    -Having seen some rEvos lately which were dived for about a year or so - there were clear signs of corrosion and deterioration on contacts and cabling in the area of solenoid & sensors. I expect this to be a source of problems after some time.
    -cannot remove sensors or head to dry. Complete unit needs to lie around in your room/dive boat/divebase wide open to dry

Pro rEvo:
    +unique scrubber design for more economic but still save lime usage
    +up to 5 sensors
    +compact & low profile(nice for tight wrecks)
    +a bit easier to travel with

Contra JJ:
    -bulkyer design(fat tube & stand). A few holes in wrecks I used to slip in with my doubles I cannot enter any more because of this.

For the cells: Not an issue on both units. JJ has its own cells(with a cable attached) and none of our group(4 JJs) had problems with delivery of them so far. But with adapter pigtails(SMB/Molex) any R22D-Type cell will fit & work in the JJ.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by jasace  View Original Post
    Thanks, I will do that, but I was wanting a little more info from members. Given that I'm not certified on either unit, a try a dive would be limited to a 20 minute session in a local swimming pool and I just don't think that is enough of an experience to make an informed decision on a unit.
    True- but I try dive will allow you to see how the "feel" some units just feel better than others, its apersonal thing no one else can tell you. More importantly at a try dive you should get the oppurtunity to see and even take part in a tear-down, clean and repack, this is the day-to-day work you'll need to do so you need to be happy with how its done. Some units are much more involved in this respect, others quick and easy, some require following a check-list to avoid leaving parts out, others don't- depending on the type of person you are will depend which unit suits you.

Frankly I would not buy/dive a unit I hadn't stripped and rebuilt to access all parts, fittings and the design, you;ll need at least 30minutes tinker time with a unit before you can say if you are happy with the design, looking at pics on the net is one thing, holding the pieces in your hand and poking them is something else!

Good luck, FWIW I don't think you could go far wrong with either JJ or rEvo.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by abohmann  View Original Post
    If I was living in the US - propably yes. But living in Oz or Europe.
    I may be mistaken, but I thought Belgium, where the company is located is much closer to Europe than the USA?

Out of all my CCR travels I have seen at least 50 rEvos on many many dive, but I have never even seen a JJ. My choice would always be with the secure and established company who I know will be there in two years when I need parts.
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 27th September 2011 at 10:38.

RBW Member zellnera is an unknown quantity at this point zellnera's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    I may be mistaken, but I thought Belgium, where the company is located is much closer to Europe than the USA?

Out of all my CCR travels I have seen at least 50 rEvos on many many dive, but I have never even seen a JJ. My choice would always be with the secure and established company who I know will be there in two years when I need parts.
    Curt it depends where you travel to. You can see a lot of JJ's outside the US. As we all know there is no US support for JJs but there is for Europa and Oz. To my knowlege there are more than 200 units worldwide.

What you say is do not trust a new vendor but if we all would do that then there would be no rEvo or many other ccr's that come up with new companies.

I would never rate for or against a ccr that I did not dive so let me ask have you dove a JJ-CCR or even see one in person?

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by abohmann  View Original Post

Contra rEvo:
    -no real flood recovery
    -position of dil & O2 add buttons
    -no BOV
    -no stand
    -Yet to flood mine but its only been 50 +- hours. No big issue if it does flood. Thats one reason i have a BOV and bail out gas.
    -A triple gas add block is a nice upgrade. I hear some one added one from the factory and had the standard MAV's and CMF left out. Sounds like a nice option. I have my own 2 gas MAV block and hardly ever use the stock MAV's on my unit.
    -I added a BOV I already had. You can add any BOV you like too. Ordering the rEvo with out the DSV would be a nice option to save some $$
    -I designed my own stand and got a mate to weld it up for me.

Another contra for the rEvo is the 'Dream. The more I use it the more I dislike it.( its for sale, its great everyone should own one!). I think the Sheawater HUD is probably a better option.
    Also I dislike the harness and replaced it. I have wondered about the wing too but havent tried anything else with it.

So get a stripped rEvo. No MAV's or CMF, no Harness, no Dream HUD, no DSV.
    Add a Shrimp, Shearwater HUD and Predator, 2 inch webbing harness, 3 gas block MAV/CMF and away you go.

Banned zirk is an unknown quantity at this point zirk's Avatar
    rEvo

I don'tknow much about the JJ, but I can tell you that I love my rEvo. I'm a fairly new rebreather diver and the unit has been a pleasure to learn and dive. Good luck.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast