+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: HID vs LED?

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

Re: HID vs LED?

Quote Originally Posted by rogeringebo  View Original Post
    I want a canister light with a Goodman grip.
    Is the time here when the LEDs can actually match the HIDs?
    Dont care much for Lumen or Kelvin comparisons, price, size or burn time.
    Can a LED penetrate the water like a HID nowadays?

What do you think?

Cheers
    Roger
    The color of light thrown by HID's can be more advantageous especially when green water ocean diving and HID's have come a long way in terms of durability, in the higher wattages it becomes tougher to tell but I'll take LED's every day simply because they are far more durable and I abuse the hell out of my dive gear.

The new Tilly Tec LED 3000 is amazing and focusable but .....but expensive, there are a few crazy expensive LED's out there but the companies are not very responsive (or professional') and most likely won't be around much longer, typical "I've got the holly Grail" bullish*t.

The durability factor is what sold me on LED's:

For Primary Lights I'd give Light Monkey and MB SUB a hard look, in the states you won't get netter service then Light MOnkey, I;m sure there just as strong overseas but have no first hand experience.

For mid size back ups the MB SUB 3-AA cell focus-able LED is the most amazing light for it's size ever made.......it's unbelievable and as bright as a few primary LED out there.

For tiny back ups that virtually disappear on your rig LIGHT MONKEY is the best made today.

Jon

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by jont  View Original Post

For tiny back ups that virtually disappear on your rig LIGHT MONKEY is the best made today.

Jon
    Agreed!

Dalış Bahane Alem Şahane teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    What it could mean is a very very large light that could run from galvanic corrosion via salt water ( no good for fresh water dives).

Interesting read.
    SO it basically acts a bit like an incandescent bulb, emitting energy in the form of photons.

But its not more than %100 efficient. You have to heat it. So in the long run, if it turns out to be a worthy technology, you would end up with lights that have thick neoprene insulation :D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4