+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gunilda Trip 2011

RBW Member sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330's Avatar
    Who cares

A few

Gunilda Trip 2011

Just got back from a trip up to the Gunilda and thought I'd post a little blurb because it such a beautiful wreck.

The trip was organized by local tech diver Terry Irvine who did and excellent job of booking everything for our group. For those that don't know there is a new charter company called Discovery Charter's in Rossport that will do diving charters on the Gunilda. The boat is owned and operated by Paul Turpin and here's his contact info Discovery Charters - Rossport - Superior North CFDC Regional Profile / Business Directory. This is the first year he's been up and running and I would expect he'll see a good amount of business from divers during the his next season.

I managed to get three dives on trip and I've got to say I was blown away by the condition of this wreck. The paint on the hull looks as though it was painted recently, the details of the workmanship of the decorative features on the stern and bow spirt hasn't deteriorated at all and its minding blowing when your looking at it because it's been on the bottom for a 100 year!

I did three dives to 250, two with a 25 minutes BT, and one with a 20 min BT. I was pleasantly surprised by the temps on the bottom temps were in the low 60's and the thermocline started at 120' with temps in the 70's. On my last dive I had my suit flood and was able to comfortably complete the dive.

The only problem I had on the trip was my last dive in which I had my first experience with DCS involving deep dives and trimix. Upon my final ascent from 20' to the surface I noticed a pain slowly starting to build in my elbow and by the time I was at 10' it was all most unbearable and I knew exactly what it was so I immediately dropped back to 20'. What surprised me is that I all ready did and additional time on top of what was required by my computer and tables because I wanted to pad it seeing it was the third day of deep diving. Upon surfacing I felt no pain but just to be on the safe side I finished up with another 20 mins breathing O2 on the surface and I remained symptom free. Lesson learned for me next time I conduct multiple day deeps dives I'll bump up the conservative factor on my computer.

On all three dives we stayed outside the wreck, there is some places for penetration but the openings are small and I think with some gear reconfigurations entry wouldn't be that difficult but that will have to wait until next year.

Diving the Gunilda on O/C still requires lots of logics as there isn't a dive shop in Rossport so the options for gas are bring enough tanks for each day of diving, dive 2 hours to ThunderBay, bring a booster pump with a bunch of k-cylinders of O2 and He, or buy a RB.

Speaking of next year, I'm thinking of booking another trip up there and would like to, if possible, do a rebreather only trip. If there is any interest from anybody let me know and I'll see if I can put something together with Paul for a few days in 2012.

Scott

Prince of darkness Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits is just really nice Hyper-limits's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: Gunilda Trip 2011

Thanks for sharing Scott, now that a dive I love to do.
    How did your suit flood on the last dive?

Al

RBW Member sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330's Avatar
    Who cares

A few

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-limits  View Original Post
    Thanks for sharing Scott, now that a dive I love to do.
    How did your suit flood on the last dive?

Al
    Not really sure I have to investigate it sometime this week.

RBW Member nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by sensor330  View Original Post
    J
    Lesson learned for me next time I conduct multiple day deeps dives I'll bump up the conservative factor on my computer.
    Care to expand on this? Type of computer, what you're running now for conservatism, type of RB, setpoints (if any), etc. Glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem on site. I've had that happen in my OC days when we were playing around with profiles.

Gunilda is a truly special dive.

Who cares

A few

Quote Originally Posted by nadwidny  View Original Post
    Care to expand on this? Type of computer, what you're running now for conservatism, type of Rebreather, setpoints (if any), etc. Glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem on site. I've had that happen in my OC days when we were playing around with profiles.

Gunilda is a truly special dive.
    Meg, 1.2, shearwater 30/85. Don't really want to get into where I padded stops.

RBW Member dab is on a distinguished road dab is on a distinguished road dab's Avatar
    rEvo

Oroborus, GEM

The Gunilda is a very special wreck. I'm up here now diving her and after almost 30 dives on her over the years she is showing signs of wear and tear. Several doors are broken off, and you can see where divers have tried to get into places they shouldn't. She is getting more fragile with age and needs to be treated carefully.

Bad knees, matching brain Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

RB80, Sentinel

I'm under the impression penetrating this wreck is strictly forbidden.
    From people that are in a position to know, I've heard the damage that divers have been doing to this site have drawn attention and it is being considered for addition to the list of diving-prohibited wrecks in Ontario (like Hamilton, Scourge, Fitz).

Please do not enter this site and PLEASE do no damage.
    If the site gets shut down we will have no one but ourselves to blame.

(steps off soapbox)

Who cares

A few

Quote Originally Posted by Marvintpa  View Original Post
    I'm under the impression penetrating this wreck is strictly forbidden.
    From people that are in a position to know, I've heard the damage that divers have been doing to this site have drawn attention and it is being considered for addition to the list of diving-prohibited wrecks in Ontario (like Hamilton, Scourge, Fitz).

Please do not enter this site and PLEASE do no damage.
    If the site gets shut down we will have no one but ourselves to blame.

(steps off soapbox)
    Fair enough didn't know that. The Hamilton, Scourge,and Fritz are in a totally different ball park and the reasons not being able to dive them has nothing to do preservation.

On another note I sure have been getting a lot of flack from this little write up off line perhaps I will not share in the future. All I want to do is dive and not be involved in political BS.

Analog Luddite DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain's Avatar
    BP240 conversion

Homebuilts

Quote Originally Posted by sensor330  View Original Post
    ...On my last dive I had my suit flood and was able to comfortably complete the dive.

The only problem I had on the trip was my last dive in which I had my first experience with DCS involving deep dives and trimix...

Coincidence?????

Who cares

A few

Quote Originally Posted by DanFountain  View Original Post
    Coincidence?????
    I was thinking that could have been a contributor but on the other hand I wasn't cold compared to some of the other dives I've done in the past.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast