+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BIKINI ATOLL Aug 2011 "Lust4Rust.co" diving excursions report

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

BIKINI ATOLL Aug 2011 "Lust4Rust.co" diving excursions report

Simon McNally Having a look at one of the 16.1" gun barels of the HIJMS Nagato

Just managed to put together a brief report of the recent trip we went on to Bikini. There are a lot of people I know of who have been waiting in the wings to see about these trips to Bikini. All I can say is that the boys on Indies Trader have really out done themselves. They have prepared the Winward so well for divers. Good on you boys. My advise to anyone wanting to go - Start making plans to come with us as this is one hell of a place!!!!

MV Winward

Have a look at this link Diving, Wrecks, Courses | Lust for Rust, Wreck diving mecca and just click on the 2011 trip report tab. Also some of the pictures I took on the tab beside it.

Hows this - we did our check out dives on the Prinz Eugen in Kwajelain. We could have easily spent the whole week diving this ship by itself!! I am already planning an entire trip to dive Kwaj as this is one hell of a diving destination in itself!!

Massive gun barrels and turret of the Prinz Eugen

If anyone is keen to turn this dream into a reality then contact me or check out my site for dates for next year Wreck Diving Trips, Bikini Atoll, Truk Lagoon

regards

Pete Mesley

RBW Member Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully has a spectacular aura about Sully's Avatar
    Evo+,Inspiration

Classic

Re: BIKINI ATOLL Aug 2011 "Lust4Rust.co" diving excursions report

trying to find out more from your site but all the overview button & whats included gives me is Blah Blah Blah ?

RBW Member lyndhurst is on a distinguished road lyndhurst is on a distinguished road lyndhurst's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Well I am happy to give my two bobs worth on the trip. Overall, just fantastic. Very pleased that I went and planning on goin again

The trip to Kwajalein
    Long. No question. But honestly once we had settled into the flights the process was not too painful. Actually quite an adventure getting through Kwajalein and onto the boat and really just enhanced the impression that u were going somewhere truly different. Very interesting seeing Ebeye island and the locals. The boat trip from kwaj to bikini is long, about 30 hours but pete and the crew broke up the trip with a shake down dive on the prinz eugen. Rather a remarkable way to get the gear tuned, diving one of the worlds most famous ww2 ships in about 40 m of water, screws sticking out above the water line. The trip to bikini was long but gave plenty of time to get all the gear assembled

Bikini
    What can u say. Like diving in a giant bath. Warm, calm, pleasant, gorgeous blue water, and an incredible collection of wrecks. There are plenty of online resources describing the wrecks and I won't reiterate, but one could easily spend all of two weeks diving just one or two theses sites. The Saratoga is so unbelievably vast that even though we dived it most afternoons for nine days, I only saw a small proportion of the boat. The penetrations are a challenge. Narrow, rusting and silted, needs plenty of care but the rewards were fabulous. Great penetration into the hanger, seeing the hellcats, no end of bombs and torpedoes, the dentists room, etc. The other wrecks, Nagato, Apagon, etc were all equally interesting. If you really wanted to explore everything you would need to plan several trips. Might just be the go.....

A wreck photographers paradise, no question. Pete is always happy to offer feedback and advice which was greatly appreciated.

We spent time exploring the islands, the old runway and deserted buildings, the original concrete bunkers, all well worth a visit and great photo opportunities

The boat
    Windward was great. The boat itself is comfortable, and well equipped. 11 of us with full CCR kit, most with bulky cameras strobes video lights etc managed to fit in well. The food was special. Capt. Chris is a gifted cook and enjoys his work. No shortage of food, often fresh fish, beach BBQ one night. Really could not have been happier with the tucker. The guys running the boat , Chris Dave and Brian were spot on, helpful, easy going.

Would I go again ?
    In a heart beat. No destination is perfect but pretty hard to fault this trip. Pete M did a great job of coordinating arrangements and looked after us well. I won't pump him up too much more at risk of getting emotional.......
    I will post some video and stills when I get a moment but feel free to pm me if you want to ask any specific questions

Cheers
    Paul McMurrick

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Sully  View Original Post
    trying to find out more from your site but all the overview button & whats included gives me is Blah Blah Blah ?

Hi Sully,

Sorry that you hit a part of my site that has not been constructed. I have tried to populate all the main areas. It's a working progress.

Pete

New Member Robert is an unknown quantity at this point Robert's Avatar

Hi Pete,

It sounds like a brilliant trip - I can't wait for 2013,

Thanks,
    Robert

Inspo Vision

Hey Robbo,

Yeah, it was awesome. Just so different than Truk. Less wrecks, means focusing more on them.

regards

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Robert  View Original Post
    Hi Pete,

It sounds like a brilliant trip - I can't wait for 2013,

Thanks,
    Robert

RBW Member Randy McNalley is an unknown quantity at this point Randy McNalley's Avatar

Thanks Pete for a great trip. Paul has covered most things in great detail. I personally think it was the easiest diving of that kind I have done water 29c no currant at all nice clear water, what more can you ask for. You still have to be careful inside, as the age of the wrecks leave them in not the most sucure and stabile condition. The wrecks are what we all went for so they speak for themselves. Wait for the photos as the pictures can decribe better than I. The boat has been mentioned already but I found it to be cleaner and more pleasent than expected (12 people in common room). Yes the entire crew were great. The trip although was 25-30 hours traveled through out the night and the sea was very accommodating, so if you are prone to sea sickness this is the trip for you. I must also praise Pete for all of his help with the planning and details that had to be covered before leaving. Best thing I can add is, if you are non believer. Check it out for yourself. Randy McNalley

+ Reply to Thread