+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Inglorious aging...

Go diving zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz's Avatar

Inglorious aging...

Greetings and Salutations!

Something that comes up a lot on various threads about -gasp- advancing age (aka getting more mature, older...) and the inconveniences that come with it.

A few years ago, a personal war was launched against this "condition" with surprising results.

One of the most significant achievements through an acquaintance was the reading of the following book:

"The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain Ph.D.

The title itself should be enough to attract all self-respecting divers who seek nothing more than to commune with our forbears, such as amoebas and other primitive life forms.

Don't be fooled! A more adequate and flattering might be "The Paleo Lifestyle"

Anyway, you can expect anything but a "diet" often synonymous with starvation, deprivation and other underwhelming superlatives. This lifestyle is "All you can eat", it's just that one is restricted to food found while our ancestors were cave dwellers. This is the diving appeal.

The most glorious element is that BBQ'ing is very much in! What more does one need to say?

Anyway, ramifications on health are remarkable. I lost 30 pounds in two months, without -any- exercise!!! In contrast, a full year of working out only resulted in a loss of 15 pounds and a series of visits to a physio-the-rapist.

Cardiovascular health improved substantially, amazing actually. Many aches and pains are now gone. Sure, no longer carrying a 30 pound "fat" belt around is easier on joints and such. But the paleo lifestyle is much more. No more need to snooze in the afternoon, after diner... No more grogginess and a lot of spare energy.

Give it a go at 100% for just one week. I was sold on day three...

RBW Member Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen's Avatar

Re: Inglorious aging...

OK I looked at the food list......I guess my "caveman" palette will require some type of "paleo-alcohol", there is NO F'ing way I'm eating lamb, pork, or beef tongue and thats final. Also, what exactly is a Squab anyway?

(Curt would make a great caveman....even looks like one sometimes)
    Last edited by Linda Bowen; 11th August 2011 at 00:41.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Bowen  View Original Post
    Also, what exactly is a Squab anyway?
    Sounds like a good name for an OC newbie.

Go diving zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz's Avatar

Hello Linda,
    Any lean meat will do... I still have steak, especially on the BBQ. They simply recommend being mindful of the excess fat. So, if you trim all the visible fat, you are ahead. The only real loss are the ribs, sigh. Hot dogs are not such a big loss, we all know they are bad, it's just nice to know how bad and why.
    Game meat is great since it is often very lean stuff. This is what they highlight in the book. Reducing fat intake is key, losing the high-carb junk food also since those strategies facilitate increasing the protein fraction in the diet, one of the keys to increasing metabolic rate.
    With alcohol, they do advocate moderation since not a lot of alcohol was present in the Paleolithic period. That being said, they do express the positive health effects of red wine, for instance. Since beer is derived from grains, it doesn't score favorably. The Chimay will be missed.
    The web site is a tad contrived, they really want to sell books. It is a good buy since it doubles as a reference. It has a very cogent discourse on the nature of various foods and why they have such negative effects on our health. They compare with other diets and provide a list of foods, protein content, fiber and much more. There is a testimonial section that is mind-blowing when compared to personal experiences and the book also incorporates recipes at the end.
    No idea what squab is...
    Lamb is also out, too fatty.

Losing the weight without any exercise, now that is cool! You're never too busy to -not- exercise! Ha!Ha!Ha!

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

OK I looked at the food list......I guess my "caveman" palette will require some type of "paleo-alcohol", there is NO F'ing way I'm eating lamb, pork, or beef tongue and thats final. Also, what exactly is a Squab anyway?

Whats wrong with Lamb Linda? Except you cant get any half decent cuts in the grocery stores this side of the pond

RBW Member Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    Whats wrong with Lamb Linda? Except you cant get any half decent cuts in the grocery stores this side of the pond

Chris, you eat lamb TONGUE....really?

RBW Master Plumber lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Meg,Prizm,RB80,LARV,MK15,HomeB

Sometimes???

RBW Member alpine44 is on a distinguished road alpine44 is on a distinguished road alpine44's Avatar

The concept of this diet is similar to Atkins. By reducing the carbohydrate intake, protein-rich foods and fat are not completely metabolized and a normal calorie intake will result in weight loss.

The US Air Force survival manual advises strictly against consumption of lean meat/fish in a survival situation if carbohydrates are unavailable. This is because the metabolic processes to make use of the protein will require energy that, if not provided by easily metabolized carbohydrates, will accelerate starvation in a survival situation.

Similarly, fat provides a huge amount of energy as we know but only if accompanied by a minimum amount of carbs. By cutting down severely on carbs, the rest can be eaten without ending up on the waistline. One could use the term "malnutrition by design".

On the paleo diet I would be cautious to have enough carbohydrate reserves before strenuous activity to avoid hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I experienced this condition during a half marathon I ran after throwing up an unbecoming meal the evening before. Still feeling a little queasy the next morning, I ate next to nothing and that was not enough to make it through the run. At some point it was like running out of gas and I could only stagger along while shaking and trembling. Underwater this would have had serious consequences. The condition cleared up within minutes after 'inhaling' a bag of candy.

While diving a CCR may discourage overexertion let's keep in mind that maintaining body temperature requires calories too. If we know that we are going to burn a lot of calories, then appropriate carbo-loading before a dive is not a bad idea even if we are generally 'on a diet'.
    Last edited by alpine44; 11th August 2011 at 02:40.

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Chris, you eat lamb TONGUE....really?

Yum, yum. (Well, it hasn't been in my ear has it?) And kidney, liver, sweet bread, mountain oysters, chicken feet (luvvverly) almost everything really.
    Except for one thing - TRIPE! NEVER!NEVER!NEVER!

Squab is (and you might hate this) young domestic pigeon - not really my thign but wood pigeon, now there's soemthing!.

Hmm.. What was the average life expectancy in the Paleolithic?

Anyway estimations of the lifespans of our ancestors aside.. What is it with the constant procession of fad diets? Is it boredom? Frustration?

This Paleo diet? Smells like Wooly Mammoth Coprolite to me..

This study seems to point away from lifestyle and more toward Genes.

Lifestyles of the old and healthy defy expectations

People who live to 95 or older are no more virtuous than the rest of us in terms of their diet, exercise routine or smoking and drinking habits, according to researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University.

Their findings, published August 3 in the online edition of Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, suggests that "nature" (in the form of protective longevity genes) may be more important than "nurture" (lifestyle behaviors) when it comes to living an exceptionally long life. Nir Barzilai, M.D., the Ingeborg and Ira Leon Rennert Chair of Aging Research and director of the Institute for Aging Research at Einstein, was the senior author of the study.

Has anyone tried Paleo Dentistry yet?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast