Closed Thread

Thread: custom ccr

Kevin Hagerich Helium_diver is an unknown quantity at this point Helium_diver's Avatar
    KISS Classic

ccr dolphin

custom ccr

Hey people,

Just a note there is a custom rebreather for sale on ebay. i have a feeling it is a scam. I think this was just sold by a guy from golem rebreathers. As there are already bids i don't want anybody to get burned. I have no way of knowing if this is legit or not . But when i saw it a red flag went up. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...149461416&rd=1 ANy help would be appreciated.

Helium_diver

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Helium Diver,

it's safe to say it's a scam for two reasons:
    - the ad is a copy of the original by a guy that signed on yesterday
    - the rebreather in question is a 99 PRISM prototype fitted with Hammerhead electronics.

Those prototypes were build as a cooperative effort by Cartleton and Steam Machines. When Carleton decided not to pursue the recreational market they kept all prototypes due to liability concerns. Even Steam Machines was not able to get them. Until this prototype appeared on e-bay, Steam Machines and Carleton were unaware that one had found its way into private hands. So ownership of the prototype in the original ad is at the least sketchy. And neither Steam Machines who wanted the unit nor Carleton from what I gather are happy about it. Understandable, aside from obvious liability issues it just looks really bad for a military contractor when someone walks out the door with a development prototype the size of a CCR. Doesn't matter it's an old and (for Carleton) insignificant prototype, the security implications are staggering.
    I wouldn't touch that rig with gloves if someone dropped it at my door step.

All that aside, the scrubber crapped out after about an hour in cold water.
    Diving it in FL is one thing, the buyer is in the UK and diving it there (s)he'll be in for a suprise.

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

Closed Thread