Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Signal for Catastrophic Situation....?

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Signal for Catastrophic Situation....?

So I was pondering a situation, where time was of the essence and thinking about how we could better communicate.

In a hyperoxic or hypoxic scenario, a common resolution is to perform a dil flush.....

Can anyone think of a rapid, no-nonsense signal for a team to communicate - "I see something wrong - you need to do a dil-flush now...!" without turning things into a conversation....?

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Re: Signal for Catastrophic Situation....?

The DIVA in the Hammerhead kind of does that for you... When it's vibrating it's telling you to react NOW or face the consequences. The new one also has a warning system facing outward so team members can see possible problems...

I would think that if the diver is in such a state where he/she doesn't realize that he/she is in a dire situation, you'd probably have to try to initiate the dil flush for him/her... Which is easy to do on front/shoulder mounted lungs.... Not sure if it's even possible with BMCL.

Richie
    Richie Burr.... Probing the Deep Blue Seas since 1966!

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Quote Originally Posted by netmage  View Original Post
    So I was pondering a situation, where time was of the essence and thinking about how we could better communicate.

In a hyperoxic or hypoxic scenario, a common resolution is to perform a dil flush.....

Can anyone think of a rapid, no-nonsense signal for a team to communicate - "I see something wrong - you need to do a dil-flush now...!" without turning things into a conversation....?
    I have one I use in class for Dil flush.

Its a crossed arm signal with on hand pointed finger and the other one pulling the opv cord. Guess it would work too well for a backmounted diver though.

what do you mean by hypoxic / hyperoxic scenario? A low oxygen alarm / HUD flash should show the diver way before a buddy notices something?

Methinks you would be recovering an unconscious diver off the bottom for the former if it got to that stage or watching your buddy aggressively dumping gas and injecting dil on the latter before you could get involved.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    what do you mean by hypoxic / hyperoxic scenario? A low oxygen alarm / HUD flash should show the diver way before a buddy notices something?
    We've all sat here behind the keyboard and said "that can never happen" because of x, y, z.....

The operative word is 'should'...

I do like the idea of the crossed arms... but would try to not 'mimic' the action on myself - it might not convey as an instruction/command, vs. "oh I thought you were doing a flush...."

RBW Member alpine44 is on a distinguished road alpine44 is on a distinguished road alpine44's Avatar

We've all sat here behind the keyboard and said "that can never happen" because of x, y, z.....

I do like the idea of the crossed arms... but would try to not 'mimic' the action on myself - it might not convey as an instruction/command, vs. "oh I thought you were doing a flush...."
    How about surrounding it with the YOU command?

YOU - (crossed arms mimicking dil flush) - YOU

That plus the look on your face should get the urgency across.

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

It's not quite what you're looking for, but my buddies and I have a "bailout" signal. It's used to get someone off the loop. If someone gives you the bailout signal, you don't question it, you bailout. After you bailout, then question it or discuss it if you need to.

The signal is putting a flat hand in front of your mouth, then turning your hand so that it's pointing vertically. It's essentially the movement that you make when flipping a BOV lever, so it's quite intuitive.

This can be used to get someone off the loop if you suspect that they're suffering or at risk of suffering from one of the 3 H's. Not quite a dil flush, but it solves the problem fast.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

What I mean is - how are you going to spot something wrong with your buddies before they either a) spot it themselves, b) keel over unconscious or c) convulse?

Whats the scenario exactly? Are you talking about spotting something not too concerning such as 1.6 on your buddies handset and wanting them to perform a flush to bring it back down to set point or something more severe?

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    Whats the scenario exactly? Are you talking about spotting something not too concerning such as 1.6 on your buddies handset and wanting them to perform a flush to bring it back down to set point or something more severe?
    The obvious one would be a clumsy buddy displaying early signs of hypercapnia.
    Less obvious would be a PO2 problem. In my case with a pSCR, it could mean spotting an incorrect gas is plugged into the switchblock.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Optima Dolphin

Tim, as far as a signal goes, I think that if you held your BO reg up to your buddy as if for him to use it would be an effective signal.

I would certainly understand it if someone shoved a reg in front of me.

I know that this is not quite a hand signal. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

little man, big dreams tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude's Avatar
    JJ CCR..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schultz  View Original Post
    It's not quite what you're looking for, but my buddies and I have a "bailout" signal. It's used to get someone off the loop. If someone gives you the bailout signal, you don't question it, you bailout. After you bailout, then question it or discuss it if you need to.

The signal is putting a flat hand in front of your mouth, then turning your hand so that it's pointing vertically. It's essentially the movement that you make when flipping a BOV lever, so it's quite intuitive.

This can be used to get someone off the loop if you suspect that they're suffering or at risk of suffering from one of the 3 H's. Not quite a dil flush, but it solves the problem fast.
    I like this and will teach it to my buddies... simple and imperative

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Tim, as far as a signal goes, I think that if you held your BO reg up to your buddy as if for him to use it would be an effective signal.

I would certainly understand it if someone shoved a reg in front of me.

I know that this is not quite a hand signal. Just my 2 cents.
    Don, we are all taught in O/C tec courses, that when someone shoves a reg in your mouth you take it no questions asked,, then discuss the issue... so its also utilising a skill that most of us have already learnt.. I think a combination or either of these would suffice... but I'm only a Noob..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast