+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Joderay and Ish Island Barge Drift

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Joderay and Ish Island Barge Drift

On Sunday I drove to Rockport for a nice day of Diving on the St. Lawrence River with Jeff at Rockport Dive Center. Arriving at 9:30am we heading off to Boult Castle to pass U.S. Customs to dive on the American side of the river. Cleared Customs and the short ride to the Joderay.

The current was down from yesterday, from what I was told. In the water, greeted with 69 degree water and I was the only one in a wet-suit. The swim to the Joderay was assisted by a yellow line that guides you right to the bow.

Thirty minutes into the dive my buddy has two cell warnings on this Evolution, damn AP for not getting cells to us, and we called the dive. Deco was uneventful aside for the beeping of the alarm.

Visibility was about 25 feet and it was very dark, with minimal current.

Dive was over, back onto the boat and heading back to Rockport. Arrived in Rockport now have to wait for Canadian Customs to clear as we all waited patiently on the boat-plus I really, really had to pee.

The afternoon was spend changing two cells, calibration and we were off again. This time we stayed on the Canadian side and did a drift dive- Ash Island barge. I had not done this before.
    Splashed west of the Ivy League bridge and let the currrent guide me for 45 minutes. Uneventful deco and surfaced about 400 yards west of the Ivy League Bridge.

Back to shore and the long drive home.

Great day of diving,
    Chris

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Re: Joderay and Ish Island Barge Drift

Hi Chris

I was on the boat tied in at the Jodrey site on Sunday when you arrived. I was diving with a couple other divers from CT. We dove on Sat and again on Sun but came from the Alexandria Bay area on the US side.

The current was better on Sun then Sat. The viz was about the same both days. If you happen to have found a reel or a strobe during the dive let me know so I can arrange to get them back to the owners in our group.

To bad we missed you.

John

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

Ok, so you dove the wreck... what did you do?
    She's 700 ft long! That's a lot of ship. What did you see? Where did you go? Did you hang around the wheel house? Did you do a penetration in the bow? Maybe a penetration in a tear on the side of the hull? Admire the winch? The anchors? The crowsnest? Did you drift along the hull? Did you drift to the break? To the stern? Inquiring minds want to know. I mean you stated that the conditions were ok and that your buddy had an uneventful failure... let's hear about the dive and the wreck!

RBW Member vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD

John
    I have your strobe, u must have put it in my box after the dive along with your gloves which I cought before we left.
    Ps..the vis was the worst I have ever seen it...good thing for the line I couldn't see the wreck after decending on the wall and moving off in the direction of the line. Good time.

Inspiration with Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schultz  View Original Post
    Ok, so you dove the wreck... what did you do?
    She's 700 ft long! That's a lot of ship. What did you see? Where did you go? Did you hang around the wheel house? Did you do a penetration in the bow? Maybe a penetration in a tear on the side of the hull? Admire the winch? The anchors? The crowsnest? Did you drift along the hull? Did you drift to the break? To the stern? Inquiring minds want to know. I mean you stated that the conditions were ok and that your buddy had an uneventful failure... let's hear about the dive and the wreck!
    Hi Steve,
    No penetration for the dive we went around the exterior of the wreck- not much else. This was my first dive on it in 2 years. More trips to come and more exploration. I was also told that the stern line is gone so that was sad to hear as that is also a fun dive
    Chris

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

Quote Originally Posted by diverchris  View Original Post
    Hi Steve,
    No penetration for the dive we went around the exterior of the wreck- not much else. This was my first dive on it in 2 years. More trips to come and more exploration. I was also told that the stern line is gone so that was sad to hear as that is also a fun dive
    Chris
    Sounds like a good way to get your feel back for the wreck after some time away from it. Even when I've been diving it regularly, I can sometimes still get turned around
    Glad you had a fun dive.

RBW Member vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD

I saw a new addition to the wreck. At about 190 ft there is a blue lawn chair wedged in the deck plates. Still trying to figure how it got there.

Inspiration with Vision

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    Hi Chris

I was on the boat tied in at the Jodrey site on Sunday when you arrived. I was diving with a couple other divers from CT. We dove on Sat and again on Sun but came from the Alexandria Bay area on the US side.

The current was better on Sun then Sat. The viz was about the same both days. If you happen to have found a reel or a strobe during the dive let me know so I can arrange to get them back to the owners in our group.

To bad we missed you.

John
    Hi John,
    No luck in locating your reel
    Chris

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by diverchris  View Original Post
    Hi John,
    No luck in locating your reel
    Chris
    Thanks for looking.

John

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by vincnt moore  View Original Post
    I saw a new addition to the wreck. At about 190 ft there is a blue lawn chair wedged in the deck plates. Still trying to figure how it got there.
    Ok... So that's where I left it... Was the umbrella there too?

Will have to give you a call so we can go looking for it...

Let's do another one of the jump in on the bow and come up off the stern...

Dive Safe!

Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast