+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gag Strap and other kinkyness

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Gag Strap and other kinkyness

I tried it, and kinda liked it. No not the rEvo, just the discarded Draeger gag strap.

Perhaps I should have put this in the rEvo forum, but there is probably some sort of rule against me posting there.

The local rEvo factory is putting out scores of smug (competent of course) new divers who seem to favour a long hose with the reg bungeed around the neck. The ones I know also ditched the gag strap.

So I got to try one. It fits the Meg just fine. The bite blocks beeing thicker help keep my mouth open wide and the WOB is no doubt aided. On longer dives I am more relaxed and it clearly resists disloging.

Bailing to OC is another matter. My preferance has been to push the loop up but the strap makes this problematic. Also I can't see much over my loop.

So just how do you Dolfin/rEvo/homebuilt guys do it? There is a lot of talk here of bail, bail, bail, whenever. I expect that this not so much the mantra for the strapped in crowd. Curious though.

Peter

Dave Tomblin
    wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Gag Strap and other kinkyness

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVICEG  View Original Post
    I tried it, and kinda liked it. No not the rEvo, just the discarded Draeger gag strap.

Perhaps I should have put this in the rEvo forum, but there is probably some sort of rule against me posting there.

The local rEvo factory is putting out scores of smug (competent of course) new divers who seem to favour a long hose with the reg bungeed around the neck. The ones I know also ditched the gag strap.

So I got to try one. It fits the Meg just fine. The bite blocks beeing thicker help keep my mouth open wide and the WOB is no doubt aided. On longer dives I am more relaxed and it clearly resists disloging.

Bailing to OC is another matter. My preferance has been to push the loop up but the strap makes this problematic. Also I can't see much over my loop.

So just how do you Dolfin/rEvo/homebuilt guys do it? There is a lot of talk here of bail, bail, bail, whenever. I expect that this not so much the mantra for the strapped in crowd. Curious though.

Peter
    What problem are you trying to solve. Often when we add a gadget to address a problem, you introduce another one which sometimes is not apparent.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

The clips of the strap are breakable. They are made like that, so that it will go gently or forced. The strap is on the topside of the back of your head, so you can slide it off and bailout. And yes, the loop can / will be over your head. Makes it a lot easier to let air escape when you go up on bailout.

But I just came out of the rEvo factory and I only dive one unit, so my post is not valid. (To get that out of the way.)
    I also don't drink rum, don't have a bmi of 50, never dove the Doria (on air of course), and didn't do air dives to 100 meters in the 80's so not a candidate for the old boys club anyway.

Cheers, Jan
    Last edited by Jantje; 18th July 2011 at 04:21.

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Peter
    hi peter
    the long hose has nothing to do with the rEvo, i teach it to all my ccr guys (no matter the unit) as i truly believe it may save a life someday especially in the cave environment.
    be safe
    mel

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Peter
    peter, from holiday..

in an emergency you can simply pull DOWN the DSV, (after closing ), and put the OC reg in your mouth.., and then it just stays there like

you don't need to pull it over your head..

paul

ps.. dumping the gag strap is in my opinion... stupid!
    but hey, who cares about my opinion
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    peter, from holiday..

in an emergency you can simply pull DOWN the DSV, (after closing ), and put the OC reg in your mouth.., and then it just stays there like

paul

Paul -

As I'm presently diving with a Shrimp BOV this doesn't quite apply to me but . . .
    I was taught to bungee the BO reg around my neck. In an emergency, imo, it would be impossible to "pull DOWN the DSV and put the OC reg in your mouth". To make this possible, the bungee loop would have to be way too long to make it around the hose.

P.S. - I still use the gag strap with the Shrimp.

Franco

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo II Hybrid Mini Titanium

Inspiration Vision

Trouble is for me that if I pull the DSV upwards I take the mask with it . Personally all my regs are stowed on the cylinders untill needed,makes it easier when diving from a rhib .

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Thanks Mel. I am reasonably comfy with a long hose and bungeed reg. If I am to use this with a gag strap, well maybe I will need to practice this..... go figure!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by scubagrunt  View Original Post
    hi peter
    the long hose has nothing to do with the rEvo, i teach it to all my ccr guys (no matter the unit) as i truly believe it may save a life someday especially in the cave environment.
    be safe
    mel

Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Paul,

One does not need to own a rEvo to appreciate your considered and informed opinion.

At the end of a two hour dive I feel that I am more relaxed if I have used the gag strap set up. I hope to do some longer dives.

Most of the local ccr users have added a bov to their rigs. So far I can see real benifit to the simplicity of the DSV particularly when juggling a variety of tanks with gasses appropriate to different depths. Less dead air space, best wob, could it be that prevention is the best approach to CO2 avoidance?

I am taking some flack for fiddling with my rig while still so green. For me I want to settle on a setup that works well for me before I am doing any significant dives.

I am gratefull to all who share their experiences here.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    peter, from holiday..

paul

RBW Member mlaprade is an unknown quantity at this point mlaprade's Avatar

I too am a huge fan of the gag strap. I find it much more comfortable (especially on long hangs) to have the extra assistance holding the mouthpiece in place. I'm sure none of you had this problem (mostly because you guys aren't knuckleheads like I am), but just make sure the gag strap is on OVER your mask strap. The first time I practiced bailing out I ripped my mask off with the gag strap.

It was quite the "DOH!" moment.