+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bendix o-rings

Blinded with science... deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

MK15.5, MK15

Bendix o-rings

Does anyone know the sizes of the o-rings that seal the 6-pin and 13-pin Bendix sockets into the pod on a MK15? For clarity, I don't mean the o-rings that seal the cables into the sockets. I've looked in the Navy manual and at the various o-ring size compilations in the forums here but can't find these particular o-rings.

Thanks,
    Lee

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Re: Bendix o-rings

Quote Originally Posted by deepwrecksc  View Original Post
    Does anyone know the sizes of the o-rings that seal the 6-pin and 13-pin Bendix sockets into the pod on a MK15? For clarity, I don't mean the o-rings that seal the cables into the sockets. I've looked in the Navy manual and at the various o-ring size compilations in the forums here but can't find these particular o-rings.

Thanks,
    Lee
    2-013's work for us.

Make sure the chamfer is clean, and lube it up good - typically, this o-ring is rarely (if ever) serviced, so once you put it in, the bugger stays there forever.

Kevin.

Edit: I'm not sure offhand what the 13 pin size is - I'm not in the shop at the moment, but I can find out for you shortly.

Blinded with science... deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

MK15.5, MK15

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    2-013's work for us.

Make sure the chamfer is clean, and lube it up good - typically, this o-ring is rarely (if ever) serviced, so once you put it in, the bugger stays there forever.

Kevin.

Edit: I'm not sure offhand what the 13 pin size is - I'm not in the shop at the moment, but I can find out for you shortly.
    Cool - thanks Kevin! I thought that 013 might have been the right size but wanted to make sure. The original ones that I removed were clearly ready to be replaced. They had a triangular cross section after being in there for 30 years! Made it tough to dimension them with a caliper.

If you could find the specs on the 13-pin size, I'll be very grateful.

As a side note - I don't think I'll ever want to de-pot one of these pods ever again. What a pain and what a mess!

Lee

rEvo Micro FT

MK15.5, MK15

After doing a little research, the Bendix sockets used on the MK15 pod are SAE/MS o-ring boss fittings. The 6-pin socket is 9/16-18 UNF and the 13-pin socket is 3/4-16 UNF. The specified o-rings are indeed AS568a standard, but they aren't in the typical 2- series. The correct sizes are 3-906 for the 6-pin sockets, and 3-908 for the 13-pin sockets. These are known as boss o-rings.

Just thought I'd share in case the information is useful to anyone in the future.
    Lee

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Bonus Lee, I'll be adding this bit-o-data to my files. Thanks for the research and post!