+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Scrubber filters

Scrubber filters

I have built a homebuilt scrubber for a rebreather project.

Any suggestions as to the best/easiest available pad material to hold the sofnolime in place.

Currently using a cut out piece of "chux" (dish cloth) - am thinking of getting lab filter paper.

What do others use in homebuilt scrubbers?

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: Scrubber filters

I have never built a RB and probably have no business posting this, but I always figured that a filter from a coffee pot would work very well.

If someone tests it out, let me know how it works.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by billwa  View Original Post

Any suggestions as to the best/easiest available pad material to hold the sofnolime in place.

The homebuilt scrubber I've been diving in my Meg for the last 5 years uses stainless steel screen that has approximately 50% open area.

RBW Member Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy's Avatar
    GAF mccr,rEvoII

Dolphin,Pelagian

Same as skipbreather,stainless screen in the GAF,you can get it on ebay,there is a guy who sells aircraft grade in one square foot sizes pretty cheaply.

Fabio Barfab will become famous soon enough Barfab will become famous soon enough Barfab will become famous soon enough Barfab's Avatar
    Ouroboros

Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by billwa  View Original Post

Currently using a cut out piece of "chux" (dish cloth) - am thinking of getting lab filter paper.

You can't use an homebuild scubber until you have a way to test it with proper gear.

RBW Member alpine44 is on a distinguished road alpine44 is on a distinguished road alpine44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barfab  View Original Post
    You can't use an homebuild scubber until you have a way to test it with proper gear.
    How about a couch and an observer followed by an exercise bike and an observer for the DIY version of CE testing?

RBW Master Plumber lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Meg,Prizm,RB80,LARV,MK15,HomeB

Stainless steel screen.
    I would pass on the coffee filter :)

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I was just assuming that some kind of stainless steel screen would be used. I was thinking of using the coffee filter to make a more definite stop for any dust etc.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member stan.voket is an unknown quantity at this point stan.voket's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    I was just assuming that some kind of stainless steel screen would be used. I was thinking of using the coffee filter to make a more definite stop for any dust etc.
    I've used dust masks from Home Depot!

New Member Gareth Davies is an unknown quantity at this point Gareth Davies's Avatar

For my radial scrubber I just used a stainless fine mesh placed directly inside the stainless perforated outer shell. I also use the mesh on it's own for the inner screen held inplace with 2 stainless rings (think napkin holders).

For my smaller pendulum scrubber I use industrial scotchbrite, I've also used those cheap green kitchen scourers too.

As for the small dust I just fill carefully and give it a good shake. I've not had a problem with dust (as yet). I do though use a small round disc made from scourer between the scrubber and the breathing hose, in the bottom of my P port.

Regards
    Gareth
    Last edited by Gareth Davies; 9th July 2011 at 21:21.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast