+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Analog electronic controller.

RBW Member Bottom Dollar Diver is an unknown quantity at this point Bottom Dollar Diver's Avatar
    Classic Inspiration

Re: Analog electronic controller.

Hi Everyone,
    After electronic bench testing and evaluating the system for many hours, I did my first in-water test. I am happy to say that the system worked perfectly. I did a dive in the ocean with overcast sky and very poor visibility. This dark murky vis is exactly the situation where I had trouble reading my handsets in the past. Now I can view my wrist display and see my status instantly in any conditions. My dive buddy remarked that he could easily monitor my system from a distance and it gave him comfort as well. (Now, I wonder how much confidence he actually has in me!)

The warning systems prevent anxiety. If the lights are all dark, things are cool. The circuits are fast acting to catch momentary glitches. Any instability results in flickering lights that are easily noticed. The solonoid light is nice. Even though I can hear the solonoid operating, I believe I can judge the operating time better visually.

The linear LED meter really works great. It serves as a head-up-disply and meter.

My old handsets are now officially retired from duty.

Next step: Rebuild the electronic unit using more compact circuitry. The wrist display can be somewhat smaller also.

Regards,
    Mark Thompson

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Congrats! Cool project.

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Any updates on the rebuild?

RBW Member Bottom Dollar Diver is an unknown quantity at this point Bottom Dollar Diver's Avatar
    Classic Inspiration

Update on the analog controller.

Last Fall I used the system on a two day wreck dive trip to Pt. Conception. The system worked well with no operational problems at all. I did several dives including penetration of the SM-1 wreck.

The main issues needing work are the battery drain and the method of calibration. As it stands now, it has no internal calibration provision. I have to attach my trusty Fluke voltmeter to test points on the circuit card and adjust trimpots while flooding the loop with O2. I don't use the indicator on the handset for calibration adjustment because the setpoint circuit is much more precise than the handset readout. The handset readout is really a glorified HUD.

I recently obtained a milling machine and a small lathe. Now I will be able to build a nice enclosure and handset for the system. I plan to redesign the system for better battery life and add some more monitoring features.

Thats where it is at the moment.

Mark

MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Hi Mark,
    Look forward to seeing the next gen.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4