+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nexus FP-170 domeport. How deep?

RBW Member Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche's Avatar
    Costom COPIS Meg.

KISS-Dolphin

Nexus FP-170 domeport. How deep?

Dear photographers!

Planning to do some dives in the 60-65m range I would like to know if you have ever been at that deep with your Nexus FP-170 domeport.

Even it is rated to maximum 40meters by Nexus them selves, I think lot's of people have been much deeper with this port with no issues?

I hope this thread can help me to decide if I need a lot of luck to take this port to 60-65meters without implosion or if I can consider this as "Quite safe".

Thank you very much in advance from Kim Meineche.
    Last edited by Linda Bowen; 17th July 2011 at 17:34. Reason: Non- supporting member

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Re: Nexus FP-170 domeport. How deep?

Nexus dome ports are pretty thin compared to other manufactured dome ports from companies like Aquatica, Subal, Seacam, Nauticam or Sea & Sea for that matter. I know of two that have imploded below 150 feet. One by rapping his knuckle on the port to dislodge a piece of lint stuck to the inside of the port while diving a wreck at 156 feet.
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

RBW Member Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche has a spectacular aura about Kim Meineche's Avatar
    Costom COPIS Meg.

KISS-Dolphin

Thanks for the info Walt!

Looks like I shouldn't go deeper than 150feet. I really didn't knew that Nexus ports are that thin compared to others. Think I better look for alternative ports like Athena if they are thicker?

The best regards and thank you once again!

Kim!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Stearns  View Original Post
    Nexus dome ports are pretty thin compared to other manufactured dome ports from companies like Aquatica, Subal, Seacam, Nauticam or Sea & Sea for that matter. I know of two that have imploded below 150 feet. One by rapping his knuckle on the port to dislodge a piece of lint stuck to the inside of the port while diving a wreck at 156 feet.

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Yes the Athena ports are thicker, they are also made of optical grade glass which makes them a bit more expensive.
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

Costom COPIS Meg.

KISS-Dolphin

Hi Walt!

Thanks for a quick reply!

I knew about the price of the Athena.... have one with a big scratch, deep in my closet! :-(

Do you actually know of other alternatives than Athena that is thick enough for deeper diving that will fit the Nexus-housings?

I actually have been at 49meters (About 147feet) before with one of my FP170-ports but that was before I built my stereo-rig. My second port has not been deeper than 42m (About 126feet) so far. Do you think there can be differences in the port material/thickness? There are about 3 years between the production of the ports and one is threaded with Nexus M5 and the other is M6 due to the differences in the housings port thread! Except from the threadsize, both ports are marked as FP-170.

Best regards and thanks again from Kim!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Stearns  View Original Post
    Yes the Athena ports are thicker, they are also made of optical grade glass which makes them a bit more expensive.
    Last edited by Kim Meineche; 24th June 2011 at 09:53.

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Meineche  View Original Post
    I actually have been at 49meters (About 147feet)
    Hi Kim

Actually, 49m converts to approx. 160 feet!

Online unit converter

Have a safe trip mate...

/Christian

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by depth  View Original Post
    Hi Kim

Actually, 49m converts to approx. 160 feet!

Online unit converter

Have a safe trip mate...

/Christian
    Guess the accurassy is only really important if you where calculating the length of your bungee jump cord

/Christian

Costom COPIS Meg.

KISS-Dolphin

Talked to a friend of mine today who has a pressurepot that is big enough to contain the FP-170 port (Mounted with backcover).... think I am going to test the ports to 7,5bars in this and see what happens.

Good idea.... ???

The very best regards again from Kim!

+ Reply to Thread