+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drager Sorb vs. Sofnolime? ExtendAIR?

For a good time, call.... MDDiver is an unknown quantity at this point MDDiver's Avatar
    Evolution +

Drager Dolphin

Drager Sorb vs. Sofnolime? ExtendAIR?

Does it make a difference which scrubber material I choose? Sofnolime is easier to come by where I live.
    Has anyone purchased the Extendair adapter and the cartridges? Did you notice a difference in diving the Extendair?
    Cheers!

In RB holding pattern... Toren will become famous soon enough Toren will become famous soon enough Toren will become famous soon enough Toren will become famous soon enough Toren's Avatar

Re: Drager Sorb vs. Sofnolime? ExtendAIR?

Quote Originally Posted by MDDiver
    Does it make a difference which scrubber material I choose? Sofnolime is easier to come by where I live.
    Has anyone purchased the Extendair adapter and the cartridges? Did you notice a difference in diving the Extendair?
    Cheers!
    A previous comment:

Re: Optima Cost - 20th March 2006, 19:32

I'd just like to say that having used the cartridges on my Dolphin on my recent Cayman trip, I loved them for the safety, convenience, and easy WOB. By rough calculation, using them instead of loose sorb added 3% to the cost of my trip. This staggering extra expense doesn't exactly give me the screaming fantods.
    IF you dive a LOT (be honest) AND if you dive off the shore within close driving distance, sorb may make a better choice. But given the overall cost of diving a RB, the fur that has flown over the cost of the ExtendAir cartridges strikes me as a bit overblown. As Sal at Bamboo Reef once told me, "Divin' ain't a sport for the faint of wallet." I'd say that goes double for RB diving, yes? (Your booster pump cost what, again...?)
    Besides, call around just before a trip. Shops sometimes have a box or two about ready to hit the "expire by" date, and deals can be made. (Personally, I'd dive them with complete confidence a year past that date, which is doubtless as overly conservative as the "official" run times for the carts.)
    One final point: the custom canister is a work of art in machined Delrin. Mircropore can't be making a dime on those--it's a classic example of "giving away the razor and selling the blades." It also left more room in my Dolphin for the counterlungs to expand and kept the O2 P-connector from rubbing as well.
    Bottom line, I liked 'em. I especially think they make a lot of sense for remote locations, boat dives, and liveaboards. If I was to take my Dolphin back to the Brac, I'd call Divetech and order up a "stack of boxes" instead of a "couple of kegs."

Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar

I have been using sofnolime 2.0-5.0mm in my Dolphin, and the only difference I have noticed in operation is that the duration seems less, although I am diving in 4-5 deg C water.

The hotspot that shows [roughly] where the reaction is taking place is more diffuse, and there is more dust than I dound on Drager Divesorb. In the UK the Drager scrubber price is headig north of £100/18KG.

Andrew Martin Ward AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW will become famous soon enough AMW's Avatar
    KISS

Nome brew side mount

I use 2175 Spherasorb Soda Lime http://www.intersurgical.com/WebSite/Default.aspx in comes in 5 kilo jericans - white to violet colour change" 35 euros (£25) for two drums (10Kg) plus VAT . This works well and I have had no problems with it.
    Andrew.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by MDDiver
    Cheers!
    I have used all three at different times in my Inspiration. I primarily dive the Extended Air cartridges. While there are many reasons for my choice here are a couple key ones...

1) Ease of use.... You can change a cartridge in time that it takes to open and close the scrubber housing... It's also much easier to deal with the cartridge on a rocking boat than the typical kitty litter...

2) Safety.... You eliminate most of the causes of channeling due to inconsistent scrubber packing...

3) WOB... There is no comparison between the cartridge and your choices in kitty litter..

Just my two cents...

btw... Not sure where you live in MD but Micropore is located in Newark, DE just over the state line as you head up Rt 95. They are a great bunch and I am sure would be happy to give you a plant tour etc.. PM me if you would like a contact name.

Dive Safe

Mark

On the loop! E-man will become famous soon enough E-man will become famous soon enough E-man will become famous soon enough E-man's Avatar

Another thing i'd like to note about extendair carts that i like is the ability to switch them around and get the full use out of them. i.e. you do 2 shallow dives on an extendair cart totaling 2 hours and want todo a deep dive, so you pull that one out, do a deep dive on a fresh cart, then switch back to the cart w/ 2 hours on it and do a couple more shallow dives, where with the loose stuff you'd have to dump it.

Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by E-man
    Another thing i'd like to note about extendair carts that i like is the ability to switch them around and get the full use out of them. i.e. you do 2 shallow dives on an extendair cart totaling 2 hours and want todo a deep dive, so you pull that one out, do a deep dive on a fresh cart, then switch back to the cart w/ 2 hours on it and do a couple more shallow dives, where with the loose stuff you'd have to dump it.
    You can also get a half fill adaptor for the Dolphin so you only use half the sorb. At the moment, I won't dive beyong 2½ hours on a fill as the water temp appears to shorten the life of the sorb.

New Member magentaseas is an unknown quantity at this point magentaseas's Avatar

Hi peeps

Im going to use 2-5 Sofnolime from now on, it seems easier to get hold of and is cheaper than Draeger divesorb.

Custom Divers dont have any 2-5 Sofnolime in stock at the mo (but theyre due some in over the next 2-3 weeks), but I have found a another company that does it :
    http://www.molecular.co.uk

20kg KEGS Sofnolime non indicating 1.0-2.5mm 797

£75.56

20kg KEGS Sofnolime non indicating 2.0-5.0mm CD

£61.95

20KG KEGS Sofnolime white to violet 1.0-2.5mm 797

£75.56

20KG KEGS Sofnolime white to violet 2.0-5.0mm CD

£61.95

Unfortunately they're not open at the weekends, theyre based in Essex. Shipping is £12.

With Sofnolime in a Draeger, diving in the UK, does it generally last 2 1/2 hours?

cheers

sharon

Quote Originally Posted by magentaseas
    With Sofnolime in a Draeger, diving in the UK, does it generally last 2 1/2 hours?

cheers

sharon
    Hi Sharon,

I monitor the hot spot in the scrubber to see [roughly] where the reaction is taking place. Using Sofnolime 2-5mm it seems to used faster, with a more diffuse band, but I have only been diving the new sorb over winter when the temperature has been lower than 7 deg C, so this may have an effect.

Thanks for the info where to buy it from.

New Member magentaseas is an unknown quantity at this point magentaseas's Avatar

I have since ordered some Sofnolime from AP as it works out cheaper than Molecular as those prices dont include VAT and AP only charge £7 for delivery (for 1 20kg keg)!!

cheers

S

ps If you see a bemused looking Drager diver in Portland over Easter it'll be moi!:)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast