+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: open water diver to rebreather

Rocketman packeteer is on a distinguished road packeteer is on a distinguished road packeteer's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Re: open water diver to rebreather

Quote Originally Posted by kunundrum  View Original Post
    Learn to walk before you run, Learn OC become an expert in OC then move on the RB, this is my advise.
    see, I disagree with this. while some skills translate, some don't. I still say go CCR early, that way you don't have to unlearn OC skills.

Once you make the change to CCR, don't go straight to 100m dives. Do lots of hours in 10m, then do lots of hours in 20m and so on. Work up your dives slowly, practice the skills till you can do them in your sleep.

RBW Member bec w-p is an unknown quantity at this point bec w-p's Avatar
    Inspo Vision, Poseidon Mk 6

Quote Originally Posted by packeteer  View Original Post
    see, I disagree with this. while some skills translate, some don't. I still say go CCR early, that way you don't have to unlearn OC skills.

Once you make the change to CCR, don't go straight to 100m dives. Do lots of hours in 10m, then do lots of hours in 20m and so on. Work up your dives slowly, practice the skills till you can do them in your sleep.

Most of my OC skills have been carried forward with CCR. The benefits of tech OC have made going on to CCR Trimix and managing stages less stressful. It's far easier to concentrate on the unit if you're already used to running deco profiles and used to managing multiple stages; this task loading for newbie tech CCRs without OC tech can make a big difference during a dive, it can be a challenge enough without having to fly a CCR on top of it. There's always a place for OC deco and it's value for CCR shouldn't be underplayed or dismissed.

Cheers,

bec

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

You mention that you are an overseas contractor.....I assume then that you may be travelling to many dive destinations for you work and have the opportunity to dive there making many of us jealous!

So two main things to consider....

1) Availability of sorb, suitable cylinders and O2 at places you travel to and also any restriction on rebreather diving as could be illegal in some countries.

2) You will need to look for a unit that is easy to travel with...many on the market are now taking this into consideration.

On another subject that has come up.. yes think of the reasons for using a rebreather....etc. My suggestion would be to get rebreather trained but parallel your OC training to however far you want to go in both disciplines.

I don't agree with others that a lot of OC experience make CCR use difficult...I started after 12000 plus OC dives....knowing how a rebreather effect buoancy for example was just that and from my first CCR dives buoyancy control was never an issue as one knows what is happening...great fun juggling a dry suit wing and CL buoyancy...

I now do equal number of OC and CCR tec dives all depends on the dive plan but keep both disciplines up.

Rod

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

Thumbs up Re: open water diver to rebreather

Hi Johnny,

I started diving a year ago and I am now diving a rebreather.
    I went through all the PADI courses up to Divemaster, after that I did Advanced Nitrox + Decompressions Procedures from TDI and I bought a rEvo after that.
    The 62nd dive of my life was on a rebreather. (Jan van Nunen Dive Log)

From my point of view it depends on what kind of diving you do and where you want to go. I only do reef / wreck dives in warm Caribbean water with good visibility and I never go below 120 ft.
    I gather reef data for scientific research; I do some photography and I just like to swim around.

I didn't really think much about the purchase of the rebreather. There are a lot of people saying that it's not for recreational diving or too complex or whatever. For me it's silent, quiet diving with very long bottom times.
    I can afford it, have enough self responsibility (dive mostly solo) and interest in the technology to do it.

So, I think it's quite easy to go from open to CCR.
    I never did trimix, cave and a lot of deco diving. (Still don't.) So, I don't know about that, but moving from OC AIR to CCR AIR is very doable and fun. Especially when you are like a fish in the water. I find actually the bouyancy on CCR more easy than on OC now.
    There is more theory to know when diving CCR, but that's also fun, no?
    If you understand Nitrox well with PPO2 etc, you can move into MOD1 easily. You also need to be familiar with a stage bottle, but that's it IMO.

A lot of people want to "sell" rebreather diving as something very special and elite, which can only be done by highly experienced technical divers, but I disagree.

Cheers, Jan
    Last edited by Jantje; 6th June 2011 at 17:08. Reason: spelling

Urs or Nounours teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005's Avatar
    rEvo III mccr

MKVI

Quote Originally Posted by Jantje  View Original Post
    Hi Johnny,

I started diving a year ago and I am now diving a rebreather.
    I went through all the PADI courses up to Divemaster, after that I did Advanced Nitrox + Decompressions Procedures from TDI and I bought a rEvo after that.
    The 62nd dive of my life was on a rebreather. (Jan van Nunen Dive Log)

From my point of view it depends on what kind of diving you do and where you want to go. I only do reef / wreck dives in warm Caribbean water with good visibility and I never go below 120 ft.
    I gather reef data for scientific research; I do some photography and I just like to swim around.

I didn't really think much about the purchase of the rebreather. There are a lot of people saying that it's not for recreational diving or too complex or whatever. For me it's silent, quiet diving with very long bottom times.
    I can afford it, have enough self responsibility (dive mostly solo) and interest in the technology to do it.

So, I think it's quite easy to go from open to CCR.
    I never did trimix, cave and a lot of deco diving. (Still don't.) So, I don't know about that, but moving from OC AIR to CCR AIR is very doable and fun. Especially when you are like a fish in the water. I find actually the bouyancy on CCR more easy than on OC now.
    There is more theory to know when diving CCR, but that's also fun, no?
    If you understand Nitrox well with PPO2 etc, you can move into MOD1 easily. You also need to be familiar with a stage bottle, but that's it IMO.

A lot of people want to "sell" rebreather diving as something very special and elite, which can only be done by highly experienced technical divers, but I disagree.

Cheers, Jan
    fully agree!

Wannabe...diven sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit's Avatar
    the best oNe

Two things I'll try to add constructively:
    1) No big issue going to CCR early, but the advantage of lots of time OC could one day save your butt in an emergency. Take that for what it's worth.
    2) Why go CCR? If it's because CCRs are a cool piece of kit you probably need to rethink the reasons. CCRs are complex and add a degree of risk you need to consider before making the jump.

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

Hi Johnny,

I too went CCR in as little as You, but saying that i was certified AOWD & NX Diver, which still doesnt mean much in Diving terms, skills etc..

I never Dove a twin set, not cave or Wreck trained either, BUT I did want to get envolved with Rebreathers..

I must admit, learning how to handle even 1 bailout cylinder was hard, and i fully confess to making so many mistakes while Diving my Meg for nearly 5 years now, but I still Love it.

Mistakes ive made like, only calibrating the Primary handset, leaving my BOV in CC Mode whilst swimming out to Dive sites, not enough Pratice with using my Pananroma Nova FFM and ripping it off my face whilst Desending cos it came out of my Loop, things that honestly could and should have killed me..

But, ive learned the hard way, I have asked lots and lots of Questions, read so many articles, PM so many people and i still do..

My IT told me and alot of people here on RBW, that it does help not having the OC experience than lets say someone with 1,000 Dives under their belt, i agree and disagree.

It makes little or no help to someone with all this under their belt when it comes to Buoyancy, totally different, but when it comes down to bailing out, then thats where You need to be able to come off your Rebreather COMFORTABLY and Bailout to an OC Reg... this can be a hard thing to do, when your not really willing to take something out from your mouth cos you can breathe from, At Depth...

But i always said to myself, i actually dont like twin sets, they frighten me..
    Peolpe said i was mad, maybe i am but i look after my Meg, and i must also stress this, make sure You look after Your Rebreather and be very vigillant and Please do Your Checks with care,

The very best to You in Your Diving, and hope You can take onboard ALL from what people have said here..

I still learn from Every Dive, but im Glad i Dive CCR

Best,

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

If you want a rebreather because you have looked at things and think it will solve a problem that is stopping you doing the dives you want: get one now.

For all other situations don't bother with rebreathers. They are way too much bother.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2