+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: open water diver to rebreather

RBW Member johnny_recon is an unknown quantity at this point johnny_recon's Avatar

open water diver to rebreather

Howdy!

I'm an open water diver, and interested in moving into CCR diving. was wondering if anyone here can help me out with some questions

1. how much experience is needed to move into rebreather diving?
    2. how much difference is there in rebreather diving vs. scuba diving?
    3. how difficult is rebreather diving?

thanks in advance guys

RBW Member ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Re: open water diver to rebreather

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_recon  View Original Post
    Howdy!

I'm an open water diver, and interested in moving into CCR diving. was wondering if anyone here can help me out with some questions

thanks in advance guys

tell you what i have learnt from all the questions i have asked, no matter what unit etc you choose you need a shed load of money to do it, for me diving is my ultimate hobby and you have to put the money thing aside. If money is an issue stay oc unless you do loads of trimix diving.

good luck in your search it took me 18 month to decide on a what unit would be right for me, your on a long road.

safe diving

ash

RBW Member johnny_recon is an unknown quantity at this point johnny_recon's Avatar

well, i do over seas contracting, so money isnt a huge issue

RBW Member ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

well, i do over seas contracting, so money isnt a huge issue

safe diving mate,

Take care :)

Ash

RBW Member luish.felice is an unknown quantity at this point luish.felice's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

DR O2ptimaFX, Hollis Explorer

Hi, good questions, this is my point of view.

Howdy!

To me, none, most of the skills and the way of dive in OC can be a problem trying to change what is as muscle memory. So as far as I understand, when more experience you have in OC, more hard the change is. Many dive agencies have rebreather starter programs that I think doesn't need any background experience, but I think instructors can answer you better than me.

To me, the most notable difference is in buoyancy, with rebreather you have two elements that vary your buoyancy, the wing or BC and the counterlungs, and if you dive dry, you have three. Also you require more discipline, the assemble/disassemble procedures and maintenance requires more attention and precision. And finally you have to watch the equipment warnings and monitors more often than in OC, also you need much more knowledge and training to understand those monitors and the general functionality of the equipment.

Some equipment are easiest and others are hardest to use, this depends on the point of view of each one. I choose the O2ptima because its simplicity and the ability to dive under my limits, I don't want to break the world record. The Extendar cartridges makes the assemble more easy and many risks associated with the CO2 scrubber are missing, the drawback is that this scrubber is more expensive and hard to find in some places. Also it have a good support from the manufacturer, it is a full electronic rebreather with a designer well respected in the market (Hammerhead). In the other hand, for some time I have read news about the Posedon Discovery MkVI, I don't have much information about it, but I listened good comments, it seems to be a good choice for a beginner. If I was in your shoes, I would try to speak with many instructors of different units about your expectations and if it is possible try to do a test dive.

thanks in advance guys

RBW Member tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris's Avatar
    Evolution, Side-mount Meg

Meg

Howdy!

thanks in advance guys
    1. Depends on the Agency but usually Advanced Nitrox Certification. But this varies agency to agency.

2. Biggest difference IMHO is the setup time. Diving wise it would be task loading. In addition you cannot use your lungs to control your buoyancy.

3. Usually the more OC experience you have the harder than transition is. But it depends heavily on how much time you put into the transition.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tflaris; 5th June 2011 at 23:31.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Question is will you still be diving in a years time?

So many people do OW thinking its the start of a life time hobby. But 1 year on only 1/4 are still diving.

Rocketman packeteer is on a distinguished road packeteer is on a distinguished road packeteer's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

I went to CCR after 60 dives on OC

imo, it was probably a little early :)
    then again, I am not a strong diver

That said, I am really enjoying it despite the struggles. I just need to keep working at it. Maybe after another 60 dives I'll be comfortable :)

ps. I was PADI Rescue + SDI Nitrox qualified when I went CCR. So a little past basic OW
    Last edited by packeteer; 6th June 2011 at 01:04.

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

My views probably won't be that popular on RBW, but I think that rebreather diving is more complex than OC, requires considerably more attention to detail and skill, and should really only be undertaken if you have needs that aren't met by OC.

A few hundred dives to get into tech diving, some experience tech diving, then if there's a need, go rebreather.

Buoyancy is different, rebreathers are more complex, have single points of failure, introduce the risk of hypoxia, hyperoxia and hypercapnia even on easy dives where no such risks would exist on OC and there's considerably more task loading while diving one.

Not all that difficult assuming everything goes right.
    You need enough diving experience to handle the things that don't go well, which might involve bailing out to OC. In those situations you need strong OC skills.

I think rebreathers are great tools for those that need them, and they can be more unnecessary risk and hassle for those that don't need them. There are pros and cons that you need to weigh if you're thinking of getting one.

RBW Member kunundrum is an unknown quantity at this point kunundrum's Avatar
    Sport Kiss #068

I am in the same corner as Steve, I have been diving for some time before picking up my KISS RB. I would advise having a good base of Diving knowledge before even thinking about RB.

due to the added complexities involved in RB diving, a simple mistake, or being complacent could lead to injury or death.

Learn to walk before you run, Learn OC become an expert in OC then move on the RB, this is my advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schultz  View Original Post
    My views probably won't be that popular on RBW, but I think that rebreather diving is more complex than OC, requires considerably more attention to detail and skill, and should really only be undertaken if you have needs that aren't met by OC.

A few hundred dives to get into tech diving, some experience tech diving, then if there's a need, go rebreather.

Buoyancy is different, rebreathers are more complex, have single points of failure, introduce the risk of hypoxia, hyperoxia and hypercapnia even on easy dives where no such risks would exist on OC and there's considerably more task loading while diving one.

Not all that difficult assuming everything goes right.
    You need enough diving experience to handle the things that don't go well, which might involve bailing out to OC. In those situations you need strong OC skills.

I think rebreathers are great tools for those that need them, and they can be more unnecessary risk and hassle for those that don't need them. There are pros and cons that you need to weigh if you're thinking of getting one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast