+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MK25 vs. MK17

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

MK25 vs. MK17

Hi RBW

Together wit my dive buddies, later this year we are planning for a some deep freshwater dives (100m/300ft).

For my BO cylinders I am using Scubapro MK17 with 250V 2. stages and love them. My dive buddy is considering buying new regs for his BO cylinders as the ones he uses now are causing him a little trouble lately, he is also looking in the Scubapro direction.

He is looking at a MK25/250V combo, but I am not agreeing on this as this is a piston reg. In my book this is more likely to freeze up, especially on fresh water and in a stress full situation with high RMV.

Are my worries unnecessary?

Please don't plaster this thread with other suggestions like Apeks, Mares and other brands, I am only looking for comments on the above.

Thanks

Christian

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

Re: MK25 vs. MK17

Some usefull info:

Bottom temperatures will be about 2c/35f

aka Scotty com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1's Avatar
    inspiration vision

In my OC times I had 7 MK25. Serviced them myself and before I had the experience to do the service myself the service was done in various diveshops. 3 of the MK25s where more or less reliable (means frozen ~1-2 times during 250 cold water dives 2-5°C). With the other 4 it felt like 50/50 (freeze/ok).
    After I switched all to MK16 & MK18 (MK17 & MK19) I never experienced any problems again.
    Also the MK16 & MK18 (MK17 & MK19) are more easy to service.

RBW Member Oxo is an unknown quantity at this point Oxo's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS

Dolphin, Ray, Pos MK6

Hi Christian,

I would recommend the MK17 for cold water, they're environmetally sealed and if coupled witha great 2nd stage will work fine at 100m on BO. I am using it myself on deep dives (with an S600) and they work just fine.

The MK 25 tends to accumulate some dirt in the wet chamber, which shows when i service one used by some instructors who do over 300 dives a year. I used to have a MK20 but moved to the MK17 when it came out and so far I have no complaints at all!

PS: a good plus: they're cheaper! lol

enjoy your dives, and stay safe
    Ben

RBW Member sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    Dolphin

Ray

Hi,

i'm a big fan of MK25s and i also have a bunch of them but i only use them for warmer water as i also experienced some icing issues before on deep cold dives.
    Now i only use another brand for deep cold dives.

Reiner

RBW Member Chris_H is an unknown quantity at this point Chris_H's Avatar
    KISS Classic

I've used mk25/g250v regs exclusively and have had them in 39F water and 250ft deep. I typically dive the Great Lakes and the water is always cold. I've only ever had minor free flows when switching gas that went away after feathering the valve for a few breaths. I've never had to call a dive for a regulator problem. I just had them in 280ft of cold water, but didn't use them because my CCR worked.

RBW Member Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis's Avatar
    Poseidon MKVI, Ray

My MK25 was freezing causing the 2.nd stage to flow a little bit between breaths, but this was cured by a service.

Note a comment on piston regs brand not trying to derail with another brand but seems relative.

I dive poseidon xstreams and while they arnt scuba pro they ARE piston regs and i will say i have never had a problem diving in the cold UK waters so i would suggest pistons are fine for the cold.

Regards,

Steve

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

The freezing issues does not come from being piston but from being not environmentally sealed.

I have MK20/25's and I love them but if I was to buy new I'd go with 17's especially when in cold water.

Fabio Barfab will become famous soon enough Barfab will become famous soon enough Barfab will become famous soon enough Barfab's Avatar
    Ouroboros

Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by depth  View Original Post
    Hi RBW

Together wit my dive buddies, later this year we are planning for a some deep freshwater dives (100m/300ft).

For my BO cylinders I am using Scubapro MK17 with 250V 2. stages and love them. My dive buddy is considering buying new regs for his BO cylinders as the ones he uses now are causing him a little trouble lately, he is also looking in the Scubapro direction.

He is looking at a MK25/250V combo, but I am not agreeing on this as this is a piston reg. In my book this is more likely to freeze up, especially on fresh water and in a stress full situation with high RMV.

Are my worries unnecessary?

Please don't plaster this thread with other suggestions like Apeks, Mares and other brands, I am only looking for comments on the above.

Thanks

Christian
    I agree, don't like piston reg anyway.
    Fabio

+ Reply to Thread