+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thunder Bay shipwrecks

Banned Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave's Avatar
    Megalodon

Evolution, Pathfinder

Thunder Bay shipwrecks

We just returned from a very exciting production in Alpena, Michigan. We were part of a really exciting documentary where 5 local Students explore, learn, and discover virgin shipwrecks. We worked with WHOI, NOAA, Thunder Bay Marine Sanctuary, SONY, Intel, and Radical Media. Our dive team was the first to dive and explore the virgin shipwrecks over a century old!

Lake Huron in May isn’t exactly warm and these were probably some of the most technical dives I’ve personally ever done. Over 300 feet deep in icy 34 degree waters into unknown conditions, plus carrying the table sized 3D cameras with us. We could only plan our bottom times for 15 minutes using rebreathers and trimix giving us total in water times of 85+ minutes. I’ve dove deeper and I’ve stayed much longer but I couldn’t have even stayed 85minutes in 34 degree water if I didn’t have the best possible undergarmets available. We all used Fourth Element Drybase, Arctic, along with the new Fourth Element dryglove liners. Along with that we used a Light Monkey Heater vest system that worked flawlessly though out the painfully cold decompression.

I’m now leaving for a 2 week shoot diving the wrecks of Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior which i'm excited about but I guess there is no warm diving in my future haha

Enjoy the images below of the Grecian in Thunder Bay. I can't share any images of the new wrecks yet.

To view the trailer for the documentary visit

RBW Member ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl's Avatar
    Inspiration, rEvo micro

Re: Thunder Bay shipwrecks

You will really need your heated vest this early at Isle Royale. I was there once in early June and there was still ice and snow in the shaded/protected areas.
    Who would you be going with? Wonder if the buoys are out yet?

Al

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Beautiful photos!

Banned Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave is a jewel in the rough Beckave's Avatar
    Megalodon

Evolution, Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaAl  View Original Post
    You will really need your heated vest this early at Isle Royale. I was there once in early June and there was still ice and snow in the shaded/protected areas.
    Who would you be going with? Wonder if the buoys are out yet?

Al

SNOW...UUG! I've been working with the National Park Service Submerged Resources Center on a 3D film there. We closed down the Park last year in September and I think we are there the day it opens again this year. They will probably be putting in buoys in as we begin our dives. It seems like my summer is full of cold water. Thunder Bay was the coldest water I've ever been in (34 degrees) painfully cold, I didn't think it could get much colder until you just told me there could be snow haha i'm getting a lot of use out of that heated vest! Its a spectacular place, I really do feel very lucky to be going back there.

RBW Member ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl's Avatar
    Inspiration, rEvo micro

Quote Originally Posted by Beckave  View Original Post
    SNOW...UUG! I've been working with the National Park Service Submerged Resources Center on a 3D film there. We closed down the Park last year in September and I think we are there the day it opens again this year. They will probably be putting in buoys in as we begin our dives. It seems like my summer is full of cold water. Thunder Bay was the coldest water I've ever been in (34 degrees) painfully cold, I didn't think it could get much colder until you just told me there could be snow haha i'm getting a lot of use out of that heated vest! Its a spectacular place, I really do feel very lucky to be going back there.
    Have a great time, forgot to also say, great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Al

RBW Member j.rawley is an unknown quantity at this point j.rawley's Avatar
    inspo vision

amazing pics....

Megalodon

Evolution, Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by j.rawley  View Original Post
    amazing pics....

Thanks, some really amazing wrecks in Thunder Bay!

RBW Member vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD

Dove there last year with Ron Benson. Super great time great dives and cooooold water. The island and the history are a nice brake too. Those Mosquitos are out for blood though, be ready they are big as sparrows.

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

Thanks for the photos, they really look beautifull.. what camera and housing do You use?

Megalodon

Evolution, Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Clive O' Driscoll  View Original Post
    Thanks for the photos, they really look beautifull.. what camera and housing do You use?

Thankfully the mosquitos weren't there yet! We lucked out and had pretty good conditions all week. Heavy fog but the water was flat as glass!

I'm shooting a Nikon D700 with a 14-24mm 2.8 lens in an Aquatica housing / dual Inon Z240 strobes...well now one z240 since I somehow managed to blow one up recently. No idea how that happened.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast