+ Reply to Thread

Thread: in a cave without air supply (video)

Submerge Productions PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver's Avatar

in a cave without air supply (video)

Guinness World Record freediving in a cave

Cave diving is difficult. What about cave diving without scuba gear, as a freediver!

On Jan 07-2011, Ai Futaki attempted the Guiness World Record for "The Longest Distance in Cave with only ONE Breath". With fins she managed 100m.. the first women in the world ever to do so. Without fins she reached 90m... being the first HUMAN in the world to achieve this. She is without doubt a very talented young lady.

Ossi gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi's Avatar
    eCCR Hybrid Homebuild

pSCR RO80 Homebuild, LightMCCR

Re: in a cave without air supply (video)

Quote Originally Posted by PCDiver  View Original Post
    Guinness World Record freediving in a cave

Cave diving is difficult. What about cave diving without scuba gear, as a freediver!

On Jan 07-2011, Ai Futaki attempted the Guiness World Record for "The Longest Distance in Cave with only ONE Breath". With fins she managed 100m.. the first women in the world ever to do so. Without fins she reached 90m... being the first HUMAN in the world to achieve this. She is without doubt a very talented young lady.

Great video, thank's for sharing.
    Best Issu

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

I think it's great when free divers go deep or penetrate a cave, when they have life support staged all along their travel path, and professionals there to deal with worst-case senarios. And I take my hat off to what they have accomplished. Honestly.

But, in any other context I think it's just plain stupid, and I personally hope videos like this one don't encourage less-experienced divers to try the same without backup life-support systems. You know, we just lost a free diver in a cave not but a month or so ago, and those tragic events scar diving for all of us, as all our families and friends hear is "another person died today cave diving."

What do you say that we keep this sorta fluff off of RBW and deal with issues that have some meaning to those of us diving rebreathers.
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by w ripley  View Original Post
    I think it's great when free divers go deep or penetrate a cave, when they have life support staged all along their travel path, and professionals there to deal with worst-case senarios. And I take my hat off to what they have accomplished. Honestly.

But, in any other context I think it's just plain stupid, and I personally hope videos like this one don't encourage less-experienced divers to try the same without backup life-support systems. You know, we just lost a free diver in a cave not but a month or so ago, and those tragic events scar diving for all of us, as all our families and friends hear is "another person died today cave diving."

What do you say that we keep this sorta fluff off of RBW and deal with issues that have some meaning to those of us diving rebreathers.
    +1

Bobby

Submerge Productions PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver's Avatar

W. Ripley,

rest assured, I'm not going to flood RBW with freediving "fluff" videos. Ai's performance was exceptional, that is why I posted this video.

But I have a question for you. You seem to dislike these kind of videos because they could trigger other freedivers to do something similar and get into serious trouble.
    What is your feeling about videos on deep wreck/deep cave expeditions diving rebreathers? Should they be banned as well? They could have the same effect. Those type of videos could also motivate unprepared rebreather divers to venture beyond their limits.
    This is an honest question and would really like to know what you and other members on RBW feel about this.

Peter

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by PCDiver  View Original Post
    Should they be banned as well?

Peter

Personally, I'm not a fan of "records" and have no care to see them whether it be free diving, OC, or CCR. I do believe in exploration, research, and expanding our knowledge of dive physiology.

No one suggested banning anything so why state as such?

Dwayne

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    No one suggested banning anything so why state as such?
    You are correct. Banned was to strong. The better wording would have been "Would you prefer not to see these kind of videos on RBW?"

Sebastian Chander Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg's Avatar
    Deep Smeg

Megalodon

I for one love freediving. As well as enjoying my own attempts at expanding personal bests, I've had the privilege to be a support diver for a number of record attempts, both successful and unsuccessful. I love the inner exploration that it affords us. It helps demonstrate to everyone what is achievable through will power and pushes our understanding of human physiology.

However, records like this are fairly pointless as anything other than publicity stunts.

The women's world record for dynamic apnea stands at 225m with fins and 160m without.

While this lady is undoubtedly a talented free diver, she's done nothing to deserve the accolade of world record holder in this dive. She's simply added a trite peculiarity to an existing discipline and claimed a pointless first. Nothing new has been added to the sport other than exposure. No new knowledge has been gained, no human limits explored or pushed. This doesn't even appear to be a cave, more a series of linked caverns.

Being awarded a world record for this devalues the whole concept of recognizing those who have truly gone where no others have.

Don't get me wrong, it's extremely cool, but that's all.

Long live the pioneers.

Seb

+ Reply to Thread