+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how do you trim your scooter?

RBW Member vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD

Re: how do you trim your scooter?

Hi
    I have a uv 18 and one pound in fresh water and 2 in salt. put the weights opposite the handle so it keeps the handle up and compensates for the torque

1 half of Team Flasheart pingu570 is an unknown quantity at this point pingu570's Avatar
    VR Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by vincnt moore  View Original Post
    Hi
    put the weights opposite the handle so it keeps the handle up and compensates for the torque

Hi, In what way "opposite" the handle please? The opposite side of the body to the handle, ie, underneath?

Thanks in advance

1 half of Team Flasheart pingu570 is an unknown quantity at this point pingu570's Avatar
    VR Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by vincnt moore  View Original Post
    Hi
    put the weights opposite the handle so it keeps the handle up and compensates for the torque
    In what way?
    Do you mean on the underside of the casing?

Longbottom Time RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pingu570  View Original Post
    In what way?
    Do you mean on the underside of the casing?
    If you look at the blades they turn clockwise. As they push against the water it tends to torque the scooter counterclockwise. If you move some weight to one side it will tend to counterbalance some, most or all of the torque. In Gavins you can adjust the batteries to one side to good effect. I can't remember if you can move the SS batteries in the same manner in their lead acid units.
    If you call the handle 12 O'Clock, looking from the bottom as if riding the unit, 3 O'Clock is a good point to start with for your counterbalance. When cold the scooter will float with the handle at 3. Once you hit the trigger the torque will push it up toward 12. When the handle gets to 12 the offset weight will be at 3 and gravity will be trying to push it back to 6. You may have to tweak it a few times to get it perfect as it a balancing act. You can ride the unit unbalanced but it really is cool once you get the thing weighted, trimmed and balance perfect. You can literally ride it with 2 fingers on the handle and let the bridle pull you along.

Cheers

RAL

VR Sentinel

Superb stuff!

Thanks for the tip-off. I will start the weighting/trim/balance issue this weekend.

RBW Member grogi64 is an unknown quantity at this point grogi64's Avatar
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by pingu570  View Original Post
    But, my main point is this:- is it preferable for a scooter to be neutrally buoyant; ever so slightly positively buoyant or slightly negatively buoyant?
    Hello pingu,

for me neutrally buoyant is the best.
    Tried all three variations, at first I prefferd slightly negativ, but in the mean time I have to admit neutrally is the best.
    If you have to do some work or if you leave it some where it stays brave there not hanging at the ceiling or lieing in the smut.

grogi

RBW Member Khun Mat is an unknown quantity at this point Khun Mat's Avatar
    Hammerhead Classic

Hi Guys,

I have just got a UV-18, first scooter so a real newb.

From what I have read need to trim it needs roughly 1# in fresh water & 2# in salt.

Not sure about the positioning, some under the handle to cut down the torque but are these spread throughout the body and nose cone?

Read instructions but not much help there.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I put a 1kg soft weight in the front of my Gavin short body (between nose cone and battery plate.) and its neutrol in salt water.

The weight is loose so falls to the bottom when the unit is horizontal and trims it nicly

I think a UV18 and a HDPE Gavin short are prety simila?

Supporting Member fdarden is on a distinguished road fdarden is on a distinguished road fdarden's Avatar
    Revo Micro

I cant speak to the UV18 as I own a Genesis but I generally trim my scooter so that it is neutral, and lies horizontal in the water. I also add a DSLR and light rig to the scooter, so starting with a neutral scooter really makes getting everything balanced out much easier. I have had my scooter slightly positive before, and did not like the way it trimmed/handled. I ensure against the tow rope breaking and losing the scooter by not relying on it alone when on deco or at rest otherwise. I have a bolt snap on the nose, that gets clipped to my d-ring. This is also a handy position to clip the scooter to your side if you want to swim with it. Even with the scooter slightly positive, I wouldn't recommend relying on the tow rope alone for security when you are not actually scootering.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I prefer mine slightly buoyant.

Scooters I've seen that are negative, are always dragging somewhere.

With it positive, it's easier to stow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast