+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Why did you chose the rebreather you dive with?

Closed Account R N is an unknown quantity at this point R N's Avatar

Re: Why did you chose the rebreather you dive with?

I chose the KISS GEM PSCR. I've been considering getting a rebreather for a few years now. My reason for wanting a rebreather is to be able to extend the length of dives I'm doing without carrying all the extra gas. Yes, I know about bailout, but in a cave you only need enough bailout to get you out of the cave from your farthest penetration and not all cave dives are simple linear penetrations. I can get to the end of the line in most caves on OC. I can do 2-2.5 hour long dives on OC. But I'm carrying a couple of stages and having to cut my dive short due to hitting my turn pressure. I know how much gas it takes to get out from the areas I'm diving, and a couple of sidemount cylinders provides all the gas I need to do that. I know there are sidemount CCRs out there, but I really can't justify spending they money on a CCR, then spending another $2000-3000 modifying it so I can sidemount it. Not when I could buy the GEM for about the same price of the sidemount mod to a CCR!

While I do deep dives on occasion, it's not something I do often enough to justify spending a bunch of money on a CCR right now. Most of my dives are in the 80-100 ffw depth range so an SCR is just fine for what I want to use it for..

The problem has been I dive small cave passages and a backmounted rebreather is of no use to me. The nice thing about the GEM is the scrubber can be mounted like I mount my stage and still maintain a low profile. I can plumb it into my right sidemount cylinder and be limited by the scrubber duration rather than the gas I'm carrying. And I can still use my left cylinder and what's left over in my right cylinder for bailout. For dives farther in the cave, I can still bring an additional stage and drop it on the way if I need the extra gas. All that and the price just made sense.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Quote Originally Posted by R N  View Original Post
    I chose the KISS GEM PSCR. I've been considering getting a rebreather for a few years now. My reason for wanting a rebreather is to be able to extend the length of dives I'm doing without carrying all the extra gas. Yes, I know about bailout, but in a cave you only need enough bailout to get you out of the cave from your farthest penetration and not all cave dives are simple linear penetrations. I can get to the end of the line in most caves on OC. I can do 2-2.5 hour long dives on OC. But I'm carrying a couple of stages and having to cut my dive short due to hitting my turn pressure. I know how much gas it takes to get out from the areas I'm diving, and a couple of sidemount cylinders provides all the gas I need to do that. I know there are sidemount CCRs out there, but I really can't justify spending they money on a CCR, then spending another $2000-3000 modifying it so I can sidemount it. Not when I could buy the GEM for about the same price of the sidemount mod to a CCR!

While I do deep dives on occasion, it's not something I do often enough to justify spending a bunch of money on a CCR right now. Most of my dives are in the 80-100 ffw depth range so an SCR is just fine for what I want to use it for..

The problem has been I dive small cave passages and a backmounted rebreather is of no use to me. The nice thing about the GEM is the scrubber can be mounted like I mount my stage and still maintain a low profile. I can plumb it into my right sidemount cylinder and be limited by the scrubber duration rather than the gas I'm carrying. And I can still use my left cylinder and what's left over in my right cylinder for bailout. For dives farther in the cave, I can still bring an additional stage and drop it on the way if I need the extra gas. All that and the price just made sense.
    Yay! Welcome to the dark side Rob.

I bet you $10 you buy a CCR within two years:)

Closed Account R N is an unknown quantity at this point R N's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    Yay! Welcome to the dark side Rob.

I bet you $10 you buy a CCR within two years:)
    Chris, I've already been looking at the used ones. It may be less than 2 years if I can find the right deal. :D

RBW Member BillGraham is on a distinguished road BillGraham is on a distinguished road BillGraham's Avatar

(Prism sidemount) Work of breathing, scrubber duration, OTSC, better sensors, no condensation issues, simple electronics, simple and unobtrusive heads-up display, independant analog secondary, and I wanted something that breaks into a million pieces if you drop it hard enough

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6