+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why did you chose the rebreather you dive with?

Plays with High Voltage trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00 has a spectacular aura about trident00's Avatar
    KISS classic

Why did you chose the rebreather you dive with?

Just for interesting reading and information:

Why did you chose to purchase the rebreather you dive with, and would you chose it if you had it all to do over again?

Being that I am new to rebreathers and new the forum, I figured I could learn an enormous amount from this thread.

Thanks for the time, your expertise, and your patience.

Cheers, Walt

Rocketman packeteer is on a distinguished road packeteer is on a distinguished road packeteer's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Re: Why did you chose the rebreather you dive with?

I dislike complexity, so I bought a JJ based on the engineering and design. The KISS principle is very evident.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

rEvo3 mCCR mini.

I wanted To start with a manual unit with the option Of upgrading to hybrid later if I wanted to. After diving it for 40 hours I see less desire to go hybrid but that may change.
    I also wanted a unit that I could maintain my self without having to send it halfway around the world and being without it for months.

The rEvo meets these requirements but also has the benefit of low WOB, slim profile, upgradable to radial scrubbers, most excellent dual scrubber design which was also a main consideration in my buying it, excellent reputation and resale value.

Todd Winn DZLHED is on a distinguished road DZLHED is on a distinguished road DZLHED's Avatar
    MK15/ LAR V/ SF-2

Inspiration Vision/ Evolution

Started with a Drager Dolphin. Hated SCR. Felt like it was always blowing up on me... all the disadvantages of OC and RB with none of the magic...
    Dived a Sport Kiss for a while. Liked it a lot but it hurt my back. Still haven't figured out why. Next came Classic Inspo. Good rig. Hated the handsets. Bought a MK15. Fell deeply in love because some rebreathers you just love... Got a couple of Inspo Visions. Good rigs. Occasional glitches but all around solid performers. Have a LAR V. My favorite of all by a country mile. Now if you could just take it 60M it would be perfect... It is all trade offs. Ask yourself what you want to do then shop the rigs that can do what you need them to. There is a lot of good hardware out there these days... You are fortunate to have such a selection to choose from.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

I have a Meg and am new at it.

Flood tolerance. I first started wanting one since the mid 90's when I was following Bill Stone's stuff. Flood tolerance was important then, I think it still is though many others have other priorities.

Modularity is important to me as I fancy taking the thing to places that are hard to get to. The unit I purchased breaks down into smaller pieces that could be passed through tight bits.

Mine is a MCCR. Not so sure that it matters as much to start there as some others argue. I really do not see any advantage for the hybrid. As I understand it, most solinods fail open, so what does the orfice do for you then?

Lots of Megs in my hood. Seemed like a good idea to have local support and training.

Belive it or don't, I liked the over the shoulder counter lungs. I liked the ready access to the ADV and the OPV and the really great WOB. Love those acronims.

The quality of build matters to me also. There are several very fine units out there. There are several that are not so robust. Mine is beautifuly built, and should last forever. Also it is capable of more than I can expectto ask of it.

Finally I just liked it. I attended a try dive that Mel Clark put on and "got" the Meg. Do not for a min. think that a try dive tells all, but it does not hurt to see and fondle the things.

Good luck and take your time.

Peter

RBW Member Ulli is an unknown quantity at this point Ulli's Avatar
    Evo, rEvo

Draeger Dolphin (mccr)

Just another point (do not want to repeat things mentioned in previous posts) - member service and availability for spare parts is important - in the early days - thanks to martin for the dolphin parts and bits and pieces for modification it worked well.
    Later - as I'm based in Egypt - AP service is great I can have it shipped to friends coming regularly here for a diving holiday and I'm comfortable with the Evolution. And best - with the rEvo: I did my crossover and instructor training with the manufacturer himself, he comes to Egypt on a regular base so whenever something is needed he can bring it in.
    Any questions - reply the same day. Important point if you use your units almost every day and do not want to wait for replacement parts. So I would do the same again as none of the units let me down so far.

Jürgen Mod63 is an unknown quantity at this point Mod63's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Vision

- availability of the unit
    - manufacturer in th EU, so no hassel with customs etc.
    - top notch instructor in my area
    - same intructor offers a great service if there is anything wrong with the unit, has spare parts available and is overall very helpfull

Never E nuff Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo's Avatar
    KISS Classic

KISS - Simplicity and ease of maintenance. A very durable and safe unit to operate.

Mike

BioPak60 Deathbox! rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds's Avatar
    BP-60, Revo Mod1

Revo- interestingly enough, for the simplicity of the unit. External counterlungs do not present a hardy protection scheme for these vulnerable parts, and having all that extra crap on your chest doesn't keep the OC bailout and dealing with everything else you might be doing easy. With a little thought and rearranging, the Revo can be simplified, and the work is easy- simple non-complex parts. My only unhappiness is the price. My other breathers, the "deathbox" I dive because they are tiny and dead simple.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

I started on a KISS because of all the units I'd seen it seemed the simplest and better built out of what was available at the time.

I swapped to a Mk15 three years ago. I'd had a couple of CO2 hits on my KISS, both my fault, and was starting to lose faith in its resilience. I was having a few little niggles, I hated the BOV and I'd just gotten a bit bored of it. I wanted something a bit more robust, especially the scrubber, electronic control and backmounted lungs. I'd wanted a 15.5 but knew my budget wouldn't stretch so when a 15 came up at a reasonable price I bought it. At the time there was nothing amongst new rebreathers that excited me much, so ended up buying a unit that was about the same age as me. I miss the simplicity of the KISS but I've no regrets at all, it's a really enjoyable unit to dive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast