+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trip Report W/ Pics: Florida S.C.R.U.B.S. On The Wreck Of The RBJ

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Trip Report W/ Pics: Florida S.C.R.U.B.S. On The Wreck Of The RBJ

It's been a while since I've posted a formal trip report, but today's dive went so well, that it motivated me to break the ice and start the summer off right by sharing a few pictures from today's dive to the Wreck of the RBJ.

The S.C.R.U.B.S. divers on today's dive included:

Kim (a.k.a.: Down4fun):

Tony (a.k.a.: Tienuts):

And of course, the ever popular Jeff (a.k.a.: Swadiver):

And for this dive, we chose the best technical Captain and boat charter, Captain Oliver and his boat Avid Diver:

If you're not familiar with the RBJ, it's an amazing wreck. In fact, you actually get two wrecks for the price of one. The 130' Corey N Chris was sunk first in 1986, then in in 1988 the 226 Ronald B. Johnson was added to the equation. However, as fate would have it, the RBJ landed directly on top of the CNC!

The wrecks lie in approximately 260 feet of water, and when conditions cooperate, it makes for an amazing dive, and today was one of those days!

The ocean was a bit choppy, but the winds were out of the southwest, which made it bearable. On the ride out, we prepped our gear in preparation for the dive:

Capt. Oliver made the decision to drop us on the wreck on the fly, which worked out great. We hit the wreck in approximately 4 minutes. Tony immediately put his camera in video mode, turned on his lights and yelled action. So if we're lucky, Tony will post a video of this dive.

There was minimal to no current on the wreck, great visibility, reasonably warm temperatures and the water had a stunning blue hue to it. Fortunately, I made the decision to take my trusty point-n-shoot camera on this dive and managed to snap a few shots. Here's just a few of the shots I snapped while exploring the wreck:

We managed to squeeze out approximately 30 minutes of bottom time, before it was time to shoot the lift bags and start the approximately 90+ minutes of deco. While on the hang, the water color was a rich beautiful blue color. Here's a few shots I snapped on the crew on the hang:

As is customary with the Florida S.C.R.U.B.S., we concluded the day with the post dive meal. Here's a picture of the group after a great day of diving:

Until the next dive! Enjoy
    Last edited by sfldiver; 16th May 2011 at 04:42.

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Re: Trip Report W/ Pics: Florida S.C.R.U.B.S. On The Wreck Of The RBJ

I just saw this thread after I posted my own thread - whoops.

Here is the video:

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Excellent video Tony!

Made me feel as though I was there!

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Great job on the photos and the video from the SCRUBS A/V Department. We really had a fabulous dive. When the bottom time ran out, nobody wanted to leave. But, Admiral Oilver was expecting us, so reluctantly we shot the bags.

RBW Member Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh is on a distinguished road Dougyfresh's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Awesome video. I've heard tales of visibility that good but I thought they were just made up by crazy people.

RBW Member Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun's Avatar
    rEvo

Great job on the pics and video. Even Tony had to concede, after conditions that nice, that he was glad i talked him into the dive. Was awesome down there.

+ Reply to Thread