+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Short of breath after dive

RBW Member Bob T is an unknown quantity at this point Bob T's Avatar
    Revo

Short of breath after dive

Hello all:
    I have been having a interment issue that i am trying to figure out. I am diving a Revo and on maybe 20% of the dives when i surface after the dive i notice i am short of breath. Sometimes a little sometimes a lot. Any symtoms during the dive are very mild as they have never made me feel like i need to abort the dive. I have no headach just the shortness of breath and a mild cough. it clears up within half an hour after the dive. I have never had the problem on OC and i used to dive an Inspo. and never had the problem on it. I am guesing it might be an Co2 issue but i can not find any reason for it, and why it is only an intermitint problem. It does not seem to be depth or time related. and all my positive and negitive checks are good. Any help or insight anyone could give me would be very much appericate.
    Thanks

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Re: Short of breath after dive

I have only ever experienced this when I have had a CO2 build up in the loop.

You say it happens 20% of the time, how are you managing the scrubbers on your rEVO??

RBW Member Bob T is an unknown quantity at this point Bob T's Avatar
    Revo

I always change the cassettes according to manufactures recommendations. and i have had problems on a fresh fill have also had dives that are fine just before it was time to swap out cassettes.

RBW Member jeffh is an unknown quantity at this point jeffh's Avatar

Consider getting yourself checked out eg undiagnosed asthma/bronchospasm following URTI, allergic sinusitus with nasal drip which soils the lungs can give all those symptoms
    Do you get any symptoms during your pre-breath?
    I would perhaps check your sorb or dive with a different batch if you check out OK
    Pull all the O-rings off (all 4) and clean the retaining gutters and lightly lube the O-rings
    Jeff

RBW Member Nemo1957 is an unknown quantity at this point Nemo1957's Avatar
    Optima

Hate typing this but you might want to get checked out fo asthma. Mine came on as an adult and the symptoms are the same as what you are experiencing.

RBW Member EAC is on a distinguished road EAC is on a distinguished road EAC's Avatar
    optima

Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Bob T  View Original Post
    Hello all:
    I have been having a interment issue that i am trying to figure out. I am diving a Revo and on maybe 20% of the dives when i surface after the dive i notice i am short of breath. Sometimes a little sometimes a lot. Any symtoms during the dive are very mild as they have never made me feel like i need to abort the dive. I have no headach just the shortness of breath and a mild cough. it clears up within half an hour after the dive. I have never had the problem on OC and i used to dive an Inspo. and never had the problem on it. I am guesing it might be an Co2 issue but i can not find any reason for it, and why it is only an intermitint problem. It does not seem to be depth or time related. and all my positive and negitive checks are good. Any help or insight anyone could give me would be very much appericate.
    Thanks
    Perhaps not rinsing the disinfectant out well enough? Do you use helium as dil some times and sometimes not? too much O2 exposure- as we age the susceptibility to it increases- what po2 are u running at when u experience symptoms versus times you don't?

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Sorb dust can sometimes cause problems if no scrim is in the system etc but with EAC cartridges I think that can be ruled out....

Good point on the disinfectant...could also be a a problem with some disinfectants...what are you using...then again as this is intermittent you need to look for a common factor.

Plastic Pom........ Peter L is a jewel in the rough Peter L is a jewel in the rough Peter L is a jewel in the rough Peter L is a jewel in the rough Peter L is a jewel in the rough Peter L is a jewel in the rough Peter L is a jewel in the rough Peter L is a jewel in the rough Peter L's Avatar
    rEvo II Hybrid

Inspo

Not in order but in first recalled basis......

1. Vikron / budy clean - if not rinsed well can do this to you.

2. CO2 - but you would have a cracking headache or more.

3. Highly Unlikely - Pulmonary O2 as this would take a lot of diving to induce.

4. Immersion Pulmonary Oedema - My wife is a suspect of this on more than one occasion.

Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/7642

You need to work down the circumstances and other supporting symptoms and events to get to a cause but start with the obvious and go from there. If you are on a rEvo 1 I would suspect point 4 first due to the historical high WOB.

Dr M would be interested in you if you eliminate the others I suspect.
    Cheers,
    Peter

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

Lots of possibilities; some of which are mentioned above.

Go and see a competent diving doctor.

RBW Member spottydog is on a distinguished road spottydog is on a distinguished road spottydog's Avatar

Is it worth checking the dsv valves ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast