+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building a Scientific CCR Program

Scientific Diver elliottjessup is an unknown quantity at this point elliottjessup's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

KISS Classic

Talking Building a Scientific CCR Program

Hi All-

I'm the Diving Safety Officer at California Academy of Sciences and we're now looking to add CCRs to our dive program. I'm currently researching different training programs, units, advantages/disadvantages, and costs associated as I'm in the process of writing a CCR proposal. Any help is much appreciated!

Elliott Jessup

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: Building a Scientific CCR Program

Quote Originally Posted by elliottjessup  View Original Post
    Hi All-

I'm the Diving Safety Officer at California Academy of Sciences and we're now looking to add CCRs to our dive program. I'm currently researching different training programs, units, advantages/disadvantages, and costs associated as I'm in the process of writing a CCR proposal. Any help is much appreciated!

Elliott Jessup
    Hello Elliot, if you go to the rEvo website, you find (downloads) the complete rEvo course procedures / minimum training requirements.

If you need further info, don't hesitate to send a mail to my office

Paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member Edmund will become famous soon enough Edmund will become famous soon enough Edmund will become famous soon enough Edmund's Avatar

University of Hawaii at Manoa has rebreathers for awhile already. Dave Pence is Diving Safety Officer, he may be of assistance.

RBW Member Rydeaway is on a distinguished road Rydeaway is on a distinguished road Rydeaway's Avatar

UH does have a program which follows the AAUS guidelines for scientific diving in addition to OSHA standards. You would probably be best off contacting AAUS.

RBW Member BlueLabelDiving is an unknown quantity at this point BlueLabelDiving's Avatar
    Meg, Inspo, homebuilt

Innerspace Systems Corp. in Seattle builds the Megalodon rebreather. It is widely used by Marine biologists and military operations. It is the only civilian unit that has both US Navy and CE certificates.
    Have a look at InnerSpace Systems Corp

Good luck,

Ben

RBW Member sea_ledford is an unknown quantity at this point sea_ledford's Avatar
    SF2

I'm in the same process for the Artificial Reef Program in Texas. Dave Pence and Kevin Flannagan (sp?) at UH are the people to speak to if you are under AAUS auspices. I will, however, tell you that just about everyone uses Inspos, although they are not the only unit that meets AAUS standards. Trying to get opinions on other units is usually met with "just get an Inspo, they're great."

The units that I have found that meet the requirements are Inspo/Evo, rEvo, Meg and Sentinel. Although there might be some older units like Mk15's, Cis-Lunar Mk5p and Prisms that meet them as well, but are effectively unavailable. And there is a three sensor requirement, so no Poseidon Discoveries allowed at this point.

I'd be interested in following along with your process. I'm currently stuck on the fact that after September my best divers may be gone due to budget cuts, which makes the unit decision somewhat moot.

Chris