+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reaction to trigene?

Reaction to trigene?

Three years ago, I had a nasty incident on my Inspo after a 80M dive. Twenty minutes into the dive, I started coughing and had to swallow whatever fluid came up. This continued right through deco and was worse on surfacing, with head out the water.

I went to hospital (DDRC, Plymouth UK) after the dive and they checked out blood gases and chest x-ray. Blood gases were very slightly below normal and the chest x-ray showed nothing untoward. The symptoms resolved without treatment within two days. The DDRC suspected immersion pulmonary oedema based on history.

Subsequently, I had a full cardiac check and no abnormalities were found. The consultant (a BSAC Medical Referee) agreed that I could return to diving and was unconvinced that I suffered an immersion pulmonary oedema.

I returned to diving on OC and cautiously progressed deeper. Now back to 80M gas diving with no subsequent problems so far.

I'm now wondering if there really was something about rebreather diving that caused these symptoms. Could it be a reaction to inadequately rinsed trigene? Or maybe a reaction to sofnalime dust? I'd be interested to know if anyone has had something similar and whether I could eliminate the risk of a repeat if I returned to CCR diving.

Thanks.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Re: Reaction to trigene?

I've had a similar reaction, though I only really remember it on the surface. Lots of coughing and lots of fluid/sputum coming up. I put it down to it being the middle of winter and breathing damp gas in very cold water too long (I'd had an icy mouth feeling that I've only ever had in the mountains in winter).

However, I've twice had a bit of a reaction to Virkon, feeling very nauseous, bad enough that I had to bail out an hour into a cave dive.

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: Reaction to trigene?

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    I've had a similar reaction, though I only really remember it on the surface. Lots of coughing and lots of fluid/sputum coming up. I put it down to it being the middle of winter and breathing damp gas in very cold water too long (I'd had an icy mouth feeling that I've only ever had in the mountains in winter).

However, I've twice had a bit of a reaction to Virkon, feeling very nauseous, bad enough that I had to bail out an hour into a cave dive.
    I have heard of this, too- you might want to switch whatever you sterilize your loop with. I once had a bit of an underwater coughing fit that I think may have been brought on by not rinsing my loop out thoroughly after sterilizing it. Very unpleasant experience.

+ Reply to Thread