+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Travelling to Orkney

RBW Member garypaterson is an unknown quantity at this point garypaterson's Avatar

Travelling to Orkney

Hi Guys,
    Just a little heads up, and hopefully this will be of some use.
    I've just booked my ferry journey up to Scapa Flow in Sunny Orkney, and Northlink now require you to complete a Dangerous Goods Notification for travelling with FULL diving cylinders. The appropriate form is available as a download on thier website, and the information you need to complete for diving cylinders in section 12 is

Diving cylinder, air, compressed, UN1002, Class 2
    Diving cylinder, oxygen, compressed, UN1072, Class 5.1

They also need you to email the form at least 24 hours prior to sailing and bring the original at check in.

Of course you can still hide the gear in your car and say they're empty .

Cheers
    GP

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

Re: Travelling to Orkney

Gary
    Would be interested if they query your declaration as I was told that ALL cylinders with air or nitrox/trimix in come under UN 1072, Class 2.2 , Sub Cat 5.1 with an emergency code of F-C,S-W.
    This was from their actuall DGSA (Dangerous Goods Saftey Advisor)

Also worth noting that it is the Freight section that deal with this 7 before anybody says it, The DGN has absolutely nothing to do with ADR & if you are carrying the cylinders for PERSONAL use then ADR does not apply .( ADR covers dangerous goods by road for commercial purposes either in packages or in tankers)

If you take empty cylinders then you do not need to declare them

Diving since 1970 gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Kiss / Royal Navy DSSCCD

I have been taking cylinders to Scapa for 30 years and never filled in any forms or declared anything. They don't ever check cars, vans or RIBs for full cylinders

RBW Member davidbird762 is an unknown quantity at this point davidbird762's Avatar
    inspiration

Smile Re: Travelling to Orkney

I had no problems last month with cylinders, on the ferry, I booked a dive locker and they only looked in and asked how many cylinders I had as they are shown in weight on the "Dangerous Goods Note" I weighed them full.

You can travel to Orkney by rail or bus as far as Thurso, Wick or Aberdeen from any destination in the UK. A bus will then link you to a ferry at either Scrabster from Thurso, Gills Bay from Wick and in Aberdeen the railway station is a short distance from the Ferry. Customers are advised to check the local bus timetable.

Miami Seaquarium Coupons Discount Tickets

+ Reply to Thread