+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Diving May Damage Blood Vessels

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Re: Diving May Damage Blood Vessels

MJ HBO.jpg

Now where did I leave that propofol?

RBW Member carlosfredericobastos is an unknown quantity at this point carlosfredericobastos's Avatar
    REVO III mini Hybrid

Hi guys,

In my very humble opinion, the bottom line is:

Let's assume ccr diving (or diving with high ppo2 in OC) does cause damage to blood vessels...are you going to stop diving?

I will definetely NOT.

cheers,

fred

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

So from the info gathered we get advantages and disadvantages with higher PO2 exposure. In my opinion, the bottom line is also if you keep yourself reasonably fit in regard to your cardio-vascular and pulmonary system through some regular aerobic exercises you shouldn't be worrying too much about this. I am 56 and I swim, bike and run regularly.

Cheers,
    Davy

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Just tossing in my non-medical $.02 here...

I know a lot of divers who did deep dives in their careers, and most of them have different types of "niggling" issues now that they're older that seem related.

A lot of us older gents (by "older" I mean over 50) have hip, knee or lower back issues. Now, it may seem commonplace that the 50+ crowd would have these things already, but I know a couple of guys who also have, uh, lets say "issues" with bowel control, etc.

I guess the larger point that should be taken here, especially by younger divers who are getting into the sport, is that nothing is "free". If you mountain-bike for 20 years, you are going to be having problems when you are older which are no doubt related to that. As a man (or wo-man), you accept that certain things you do carry certain risks which may project themselves into your future health.

Examples abound in my own life - I used to Motocross (about 50 lbs. and a lifetime ago), and broke both my feet and sternum. I still have problems with my feet, and if I lay down wrong my chest feels like I'm having angina.

I used to deep dive too (back when all of us were trying to figure out how to do it without killing ourselves), and now I get bizarre pain in my tail-bone at night. I'm sure it is residual from small bends when I was actively diving deep.

Breathing any gas while under hyperbaric conditions is not "normal" and as such we all do so with some risk. But just like jumping your CR500 across a 12 foot wash in the Mojave is dangerous, so is exploring a shipwreck at 200 fsw. Both activities will eventually take their toll on your body (as does just about everything else you can do).

The best you can do is enjoy the life you have, use your body wisely, and don't ever expect to get out of this life alive**.

Kevin.

**Tom Mount being the only exception to this rule. He will be pissing on all of our graves after completing his 1,000,000 dive below 500 fsw on a single 80....
    All good points and true, no doubt. I broke quite a few bones on bikes (mountain and motor variety), my knees (both) are shot, I have "arfur in my hands and feet, MY back hurts most days, my 'emmaroids are a pain in the Rs and I'm deaf in my left ear (that is useful sometimes though). However, my ex wife who has never smoked in her life (not even after sex (my fault), or spent 15 years in the army (and all the crap that that entails), has never ever ridden a mountain bike, or fell off a ski field (I'm an expert at that as well), or crashed into a power pole on a motorbike, jumped out of plane or dived beyond four dives on her PADI course in 1887 and has led a largely blameless life other than marrying me - has Bronchialitus Obliterans (hope I spelled that right - has anyone on this forum heard of it?) and can't get out of her chair to go to the loo.

In closing m'lud, the defense suggests that the more stuff one does, the longer one lives to feel the results of it so please can the defendant now stop agonising over all the things that might kill him?

Mike Samsen Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

+100

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

So is it fair to say over the course of a diver lifetime.

Hypothetical Scenario based on (1000) divers lifetime, 1000 hours of dive time:

1. Open Circuit Diver spends 1000 hours on air
    2. Nitrox Diver spends 1000 hours on 32% or 36% Nitrox
    3. CCR divers spends 1000 hours 100% Oxygen and 21% Air
    4. CCR diver spends 1000 hours on 100% Oxygen and Helium

Divers in group 2,3 & 4 are at higher risks for internal damage i.e., cells, nerves tissues, joints, etc due to higher concentrations of 02.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4