+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Diving May Damage Blood Vessels

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Diving May Damage Blood Vessels

This link was posted on a local scuba board:
    Medical News: EuroPRevent: Diving May Damage Blood Vessels - in Meeting Coverage, EuroPRevent from MedPage Today

The short version (as I understand it) is that this researcher found measurable damage to blood vessels following diving, and the damage was much more pronounced in divers using nitrox.

If it is an issue with nitrox divers it should follow that it is even more of an issue with us rebreather divers. I sent the link to DAN (well, the Alert Diver editors) thinking they might expand the report into a discussion in their magazine).

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

Re: Diving May Damage Blood Vessels

Quote Originally Posted by 4ster  View Original Post
    This link was posted on a local scuba board:
    Medical News: EuroPRevent: Diving May Damage Blood Vessels - in Meeting Coverage, EuroPRevent from MedPage Today

The short version (as I understand it) is that this researcher found measurable damage to blood vessels following diving, and the damage was much more pronounced in divers using nitrox.

If it is an issue with nitrox divers it should follow that it is even more of an issue with us rebreather divers. I sent the link to DAN (well, the Alert Diver editors) thinking they might expand the report into a discussion in their magazine).

That's the flip side of the coin we all learned in the Nitrox courses....some form of oxidative stress. You win some, you lose some!
    Least you can do is to maintain some cardio-vascular fitness through regular aerobic exercises and anti-oxidant supplements.

Cheers,
    Davy

little man, big dreams tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude is a jewel in the rough tecdiverdude's Avatar
    JJ CCR..

it seems very vague..
    ok, we knew that.. what affect does trimix have?
    if i remember correctly high partial pressures of N isnt real good for Red blood cells? damages them and capillaries?
    I'm only a layman, so please educate me.
    something to do with affecting the flexibility of the RBC?

Scuba Nerd voets has a spectacular aura about voets has a spectacular aura about voets has a spectacular aura about voets has a spectacular aura about voets has a spectacular aura about voets has a spectacular aura about voets's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Ray, RG-UF/M , FGT I/D

there's not really a lot of detailed info in this abstract.
    I'm curious for example if it is only pO2 that has this effect.
    In that case the researcher should compare a deeper air dive to a shallower nitrox dive that result in same pO2
    And for CCR divers, same depth, but 2 different setpoints.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Just tossing in my non-medical $.02 here...

I know a lot of divers who did deep dives in their careers, and most of them have different types of "niggling" issues now that they're older that seem related.

A lot of us older gents (by "older" I mean over 50) have hip, knee or lower back issues. Now, it may seem commonplace that the 50+ crowd would have these things already, but I know a couple of guys who also have, uh, lets say "issues" with bowel control, etc.

I guess the larger point that should be taken here, especially by younger divers who are getting into the sport, is that nothing is "free". If you mountain-bike for 20 years, you are going to be having problems when you are older which are no doubt related to that. As a man (or wo-man), you accept that certain things you do carry certain risks which may project themselves into your future health.

Examples abound in my own life - I used to Motocross (about 50 lbs. and a lifetime ago), and broke both my feet and sternum. I still have problems with my feet, and if I lay down wrong my chest feels like I'm having angina.

I used to deep dive too (back when all of us were trying to figure out how to do it without killing ourselves), and now I get bizarre pain in my tail-bone at night. I'm sure it is residual from small bends when I was actively diving deep.

Breathing any gas while under hyperbaric conditions is not "normal" and as such we all do so with some risk. But just like jumping your CR500 across a 12 foot wash in the Mojave is dangerous, so is exploring a shipwreck at 200 fsw. Both activities will eventually take their toll on your body (as does just about everything else you can do).

The best you can do is enjoy the life you have, use your body wisely, and don't ever expect to get out of this life alive**.

Kevin.

**Tom Mount being the only exception to this rule. He will be pissing on all of our graves after completing his 1,000,000 dive below 500 fsw on a single 80....

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post

The best you can do is enjoy the life you have, use your body wisely, and don't ever expect to get out of this life alive**.

Kevin.

**Tom Mount being the only exception to this rule. He will be pissing on all of our graves after completing his 1,000,000 dive below 500 fsw on a single 80....
    Well said!

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

I knew it... I used to blame the aging process on all my aches & pains. Now that I know it comes from diving. MMM let's see... Who can I sue? So many manufacturers & instructors... So little time!

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Just tossing in my non-medical $.02 here...

I know a lot of divers who did deep dives in their careers, and most of them have different types of "niggling" issues now that they're older that seem related.

A lot of us older gents (by "older" I mean over 50) have hip, knee or lower back issues. Now, it may seem commonplace that the 50+ crowd would have these things already, but I know a couple of guys who also have, uh, lets say "issues" with bowel control, etc.

I guess the larger point that should be taken here, especially by younger divers who are getting into the sport, is that nothing is "free". If you mountain-bike for 20 years, you are going to be having problems when you are older which are no doubt related to that. As a man (or wo-man), you accept that certain things you do carry certain risks which may project themselves into your future health.

Examples abound in my own life - I used to Motocross (about 50 lbs. and a lifetime ago), and broke both my feet and sternum. I still have problems with my feet, and if I lay down wrong my chest feels like I'm having angina.

I used to deep dive too (back when all of us were trying to figure out how to do it without killing ourselves), and now I get bizarre pain in my tail-bone at night. I'm sure it is residual from small bends when I was actively diving deep.

Breathing any gas while under hyperbaric conditions is not "normal" and as such we all do so with some risk. But just like jumping your CR500 across a 12 foot wash in the Mojave is dangerous, so is exploring a shipwreck at 200 fsw. Both activities will eventually take their toll on your body (as does just about everything else you can do).

Kevin.

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Well said!
    hahaha! indeed!

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

My approach is to abuse my body wisely. Just how much can I get away with screwing with it?
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

Of course, there are blood vessels in the brain. Are there enough old, deep divers out there to assess the effects on brain function?

[Insert your own punchline here...! :D ]

Serious note. I know a couple of people (myself included) who have noticed changes since starting diving. There are some tests we could do, but we might not like the results...