+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: New CCR training agency for Pelagian DCCR

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

Re: New CCR training agency for Pelagian DCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas  View Original Post
    I think its rather strange that somebody as quality consious as the founder of Swedtech would bring in a untested machine into his organisation.
    Have you tried a Pelagian?

If not, may I ask what kind of interest you have in this thread?

The Pelagian may not be perfect, but it has a few practical solutions I really appreciate, like instant cell-validation and cell face-cleaning, the needle-valve and its compact size...

Not very many other CCRs would fit in the overhead compartment on a plane from Manila to Busuanga (it was a tight fit, but it went in).

Also, if something goes wrong on it, it is very easy to fix on the spot. Something I think is very important if you plan to go to places like the Philippines or Truk Lagoon. Not to speak about just diving in Norway...

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

also you can configure the unit with any size tanks you may find at your destination...I have tried it with 2 x Standard S80s...no problems..
    I use S30s with it generally...another way is to bracket the unit on the back of a twin set which then I use as dil..with an O2 tank bracketed on the right hand side...this is good for deep dives as carrying a lot of bottom bail out on your back...you can also add a long hose onto the right hand post of the twin set...giving another deep OC option for you buddy or yourself....

I feel safer with this configuration than with any electronic CE approved unit!

Helium is addictive! Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Abbotson  View Original Post
    Every rebreather is untested until it has been used by many divers in a variety of conditions to a variety of depths...what does official third party testing prove like CE for example? Just enables third parties to make some more money from the manufactures and mainly shifts the liability curve...
    CE tells a lot. The tests are the same for all rebreathers and by studying the results you can compare the performance of different units. Diving a rebreather several times to X meters in X temperature for X minutes is not a test!

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a unit that haven't gone through CE, or similar tests. Scrubber and WOB data are the minimum a manufacturer should provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Abbotson  View Original Post
    Whatever happened to testing them yourself! After all its you life on the line, not the manufacturer, training agency or a european politician!
    I am sure several Darwin award winners have said this before.

Banned Atlas is infamous around these parts Atlas is infamous around these parts Atlas is infamous around these parts Atlas is infamous around these parts Atlas is infamous around these parts Atlas's Avatar

No i have not dived one, but i have checked out a number of machines including the one in question and dived a bunch of them. And that is probably more than the founder of the education org have done before he made his choice.
    Because of build quality, the over priceing, all the silly "ad hoc" explainations for a number of the construction solutions, and also because its not tested in any way whatsoever, I would not dare to make a try dive even in a pool because "after all it my life on the line".

Is it not enough , that I am surprised at the choice that was made by someone i hold in high esteem, reason for me to make my voice heard ?
    Or do you think that you should have say in who could comment or not ?

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

No i have not dived one, but i have checked out a number of machines including the one in question and dived a bunch of them. And that is probably more than the founder of the education org have done before he made his choice.
    Because of build quality, the over priceing, all the silly "ad hoc" explainations for a number of the construction solutions, and also because its not tested in any way whatsoever, I would not dare to make a try dive even in a pool because "after all it my life on the line".

Is it not enough , that I am surprised at the choice that was made by someone i hold in high esteem, reason for me to make my voice heard ?
    Or do you think that you should have say in who could comment or not ?
    OK...

So what is wrong with the build quality then?

I have not been able to break my unit yet, and I have heard very little of others breaking their units. Is that not a true measure of quality?

Sure, the unit may be "overpriced", but it is still one of the cheapest units around, and one of the most versatile as well.

If you had actually tested the unit, instead of kicking its tires, you may have seen its qualities.

So, please mention some silly "ad-hoc" explanations then...

Well, good luck with your CE-correct M26-fittings, because using the old M25 with Nitrox or Trimix will surely kill you. At least in the EU, but probably not elsewhere...

RBW Member Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy's Avatar
    GAF mccr,rEvoII

Dolphin,Pelagian

Quote Originally Posted by Blomman  View Original Post
    CE tells a lot. The tests are the same for all rebreathers and by studying the results you can compare the performance of different units. Diving a rebreather several times to X meters in X temperature for X minutes is not a test!

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a unit that haven't gone through CE, or similar tests. Scrubber and WOB data are the minimum a manufacturer should provide.

I am sure several Darwin award winners have said this before.
    So what you are saying is just because the unit has not got a CE approval or test that the hundreds of dives that have been carried out on the unit are not a test ?? I do not think its rocket science with the amount of information in cyberspace to build a safe and sucessful rebreather, hundreds of homebuilders can attest to this and if the exploits of the owners of Andys unit are to believed then they are quite happy with the product and all seem to have survived the experience. People who buy the Pelagian know upfront that it has no third party testing and no approvals other than what Andy himself has done and surprise surprise they still buy them.

I think we tend to forget that before CE testing or for that matter any testing people built and used all manner of underwater breathing equipment simply because they wanted to and accepted the risks.

By the way studying results does not make a rebreather diver ,actual use and evaluation does Anyway as I have once again returned from two days diving my Pelagian and GAF you can add a few more sucessfull dives to the X meters in X temperature for X minutes is not a test database
    Last edited by Chris Kennedy; 22nd April 2011 at 20:44.

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

I have just completed a series of 100m plus dives with my Pelagian surveying for dangers for the Aqaba Deep Flight project...mine and another unit have performed flawlessly throughout.

Later this year I will be testing the GAF rebreather with trimix diluents, So far OK to 70m on air dil (ppO2 1.8 to avoid narcosis - not for long before you all start having a go!) WOB is great in all positions....the scrubber is axial and takes 4 kilos of 797...

Banned Atlas is infamous around these parts Atlas is infamous around these parts Atlas is infamous around these parts Atlas is infamous around these parts Atlas is infamous around these parts Atlas's Avatar

If your machine has not broken yet. Good for you, but that its not what i mean by build quality. Maybe its more like comparing a new Dacia Sandero with BMW 320. Both will get you from A to B without breaking down but most people will agree with the statement that the BMW has a better build quality.

Ad hoc explanation
    The CL is constructed to go under the arms because it gives god trim.
    The correct explanation
    The CL goes under the arms because they are constructed out of a motorcycle inner tubing.
    Please note that I am not saying that it does not give good trim.
    Ad hoc explanation
    The oxygen cells is cut to facilitate better gas exchange.
    The correct explanation
    It was the only way to get them in.

And i still cant believe that people in this day an age believe that once someone has done a number of dives to 100 m that this somehow proves that the machine is safe.

jlovold You did not answer if the reason I stated was enough or if this was something you thought that you should have a say in ?
    Attached Files

rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

If your machine has not broken yet. Good for you, but that its not what i mean by build quality. Maybe its more like comparing a new Dacia Sandero with BMW 320. Both will get you from A to B without breaking down but most people will agree with the statement that the BMW has a better build quality.

Ad hoc explanation
    The CL is constructed to go under the arms because it gives god trim.
    The correct explanation
    The CL goes under the arms because they are constructed out of a motorcycle inner tubing.
    Please note that I am not saying that it does not give good trim.
    Ad hoc explanation
    The oxygen cells is cut to facilitate better gas exchange.
    The correct explanation
    It was the only way to get them in.

And i still cant believe that people in this day an age believe that once someone has done a number of dives to 100 m that this somehow proves that the machine is safe.

jlovold You did not answer if the reason I stated was enough or if this was something you thought that you should have a say in ?
    By your "explanations", it dawns on me that you are actually totally ignorant about the unique qualities of the Pelagian...

Since you don´t understand anything about it, it is my opinion that you should ask your former "hero" about his choices, rather than assume that he have lost his mind, based on the acceptance of a rebreather.

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

I have owned my Pelagian for well over a year now, probable closer to two years. I have probable logged more dives with this unit then any other unit I have owned or used with less problems. I have had zero problems with the unit. The Pelagian I have been using on my trimix dives, cave and wreck dives. Small, light, very compact, easy to operate and with little that can go wrong. To me one of the better units on the market.

andibk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast